Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dress Shoes with room for full orthotic.

Posted by Cynthia D on 4/05/01 at 09:19 (043685)

My wishes were alas dashed. I thought I had found a ladies' 'regular looking' dress pump to accommodate my orthotics but they were discontinued. Has anyone found a low heel dressy black pump-type shoe that accommodates orthotics? Thanks.

Re: Dress Shoes with room for full orthotic.

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 10:41 (043708)

Cynthia--

I have pretty much given up on this quest. I looked through a Birk catalog this weekend and they have a Mary Jane-type style that is called Annapolis. I think that will end up being my dress shoe from here on out, becuase I just can't find anything that will fit an orthotic--and you really have to wonder how well it fits your foot if it can't handle a custom-made orthotic!

Richard, C.Ped on 4/06/01 at 08:08 (043795)

Cynthia,

If you are able to check with an orthopedic shoe store, ask to see a catalog from the Drew shoe company. I am looking at their catalog right now, and I see 10 ladies shoes which fit your description. They all have a removable insole, and they all look like they could accomodate a 3/4 to full lenght orthosis (if the shell material is about an 1/8'). They have heels, but are not very high or thin. I will see if they have a web site to go to.
Richard

Cynthia D on 4/06/01 at 13:00 (043835)

Hi Richard, hope you are feeling better. Is that something that you order for your customers? I'd be happy just to order it from you if you want to email me your phone # Cynthiadar@yahoo.com . Thanks very, very much.

Carolyn on 4/21/01 at 22:21 (045326)

Hi Cynthia--
I'm new to this board, and new to PF, which my doctor recently told me is what's going on with my foot. I'm really appreciating reading everyone's posts on this board.

Someone at work gave me a catalog that has some ok dress shoes /pumps with removable insoles to accommodae orhtotics. This catalog has numerous shoes for men and women with ailing feet. They also have many products for PF sufferers: FootSmart (800) 870-7149
Maybe you can find some shoes there.

I haven't tried much yet--just gel heel pads from a local store that have helped reduce some pain already, and today I bought some Danska clogs that feel good, (I like how they look too--kind of Mary Janey in front and open in back. I got them in black but they also had them in a pretty brownish-red color. These, I think, could pass as dress shoes.) but I worry for my tender arch, so I'm wearing them just a bit at a time (Birks hit me in the WRONG spot!). Mostly I'm reading up, seeing how bad my PF is, and trying to figure some things out.

Thanks for everyone's information.
Carolyn

Carolyn F. on 4/23/01 at 09:22 (045423)

Here's the online address for FootSmart: http://www.footsmart.com/

Lori B on 4/27/01 at 00:53 (045926)

Carolyn,
Thanks for the head's up about the FootSmart web page. I checked it out and have already picked out some shoes I would like to try. I was happy to see that they have several styles of shoes that would accomodated orthotics. Thanks for helping everyone out with this info.
Lori

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 10:41 (043708)

Cynthia--

I have pretty much given up on this quest. I looked through a Birk catalog this weekend and they have a Mary Jane-type style that is called Annapolis. I think that will end up being my dress shoe from here on out, becuase I just can't find anything that will fit an orthotic--and you really have to wonder how well it fits your foot if it can't handle a custom-made orthotic!

Richard, C.Ped on 4/06/01 at 08:08 (043795)

Cynthia,

If you are able to check with an orthopedic shoe store, ask to see a catalog from the Drew shoe company. I am looking at their catalog right now, and I see 10 ladies shoes which fit your description. They all have a removable insole, and they all look like they could accomodate a 3/4 to full lenght orthosis (if the shell material is about an 1/8'). They have heels, but are not very high or thin. I will see if they have a web site to go to.
Richard

Cynthia D on 4/06/01 at 13:00 (043835)

Hi Richard, hope you are feeling better. Is that something that you order for your customers? I'd be happy just to order it from you if you want to email me your phone # Cynthiadar@yahoo.com . Thanks very, very much.

Carolyn on 4/21/01 at 22:21 (045326)

Hi Cynthia--
I'm new to this board, and new to PF, which my doctor recently told me is what's going on with my foot. I'm really appreciating reading everyone's posts on this board.

Someone at work gave me a catalog that has some ok dress shoes /pumps with removable insoles to accommodae orhtotics. This catalog has numerous shoes for men and women with ailing feet. They also have many products for PF sufferers: FootSmart (800) 870-7149
Maybe you can find some shoes there.

I haven't tried much yet--just gel heel pads from a local store that have helped reduce some pain already, and today I bought some Danska clogs that feel good, (I like how they look too--kind of Mary Janey in front and open in back. I got them in black but they also had them in a pretty brownish-red color. These, I think, could pass as dress shoes.) but I worry for my tender arch, so I'm wearing them just a bit at a time (Birks hit me in the WRONG spot!). Mostly I'm reading up, seeing how bad my PF is, and trying to figure some things out.

Thanks for everyone's information.
Carolyn

Carolyn F. on 4/23/01 at 09:22 (045423)

Here's the online address for FootSmart: http://www.footsmart.com/

Lori B on 4/27/01 at 00:53 (045926)

Carolyn,
Thanks for the head's up about the FootSmart web page. I checked it out and have already picked out some shoes I would like to try. I was happy to see that they have several styles of shoes that would accomodated orthotics. Thanks for helping everyone out with this info.
Lori