Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT? How many treatments?

Posted by Elaine S. on 4/05/01 at 09:24 (043687)

Hi, How many ESWT treatments are you allowed to have before you give up?!It seems that most of the posters have had the standard 2.Has anyone had more?

Re: ESWT? How many treatments?

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 21:47 (043786)

Elaine--

There really isn't a standard for number of ESWT treatments. Partly, it depends on the machine. I believe, from what I've read here (and I could be wrong) that the OssaTron is mostly considered a one-treatment machine, but it's possible to get a second one if needed within a certain timeframe (12 weeks?). The Orthowave study gave two short treatments two weeks apart. According to Dr. Z's european shockwave society book, multiple treatments can be helpful, but there's no guideline for how many that is other than the amount of pain you're still in.

This is my take on things, but others may have other opinions, so I hope they'll chime in.

Kim B. on 4/10/01 at 22:40 (044224)

Hi Elain,

I've heard that if you don't get results in 3 treatments, you are probably not one of the folks that are going to benefit from ESWT. Hope this shred of information helps.

Kim B.

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 21:47 (043786)

Elaine--

There really isn't a standard for number of ESWT treatments. Partly, it depends on the machine. I believe, from what I've read here (and I could be wrong) that the OssaTron is mostly considered a one-treatment machine, but it's possible to get a second one if needed within a certain timeframe (12 weeks?). The Orthowave study gave two short treatments two weeks apart. According to Dr. Z's european shockwave society book, multiple treatments can be helpful, but there's no guideline for how many that is other than the amount of pain you're still in.

This is my take on things, but others may have other opinions, so I hope they'll chime in.

Kim B. on 4/10/01 at 22:40 (044224)

Hi Elain,

I've heard that if you don't get results in 3 treatments, you are probably not one of the folks that are going to benefit from ESWT. Hope this shred of information helps.

Kim B.