Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

insertion point achilles tendonitis

Posted by Vanessa N. on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043693)

HELP!!!
After many months of suffering, I've goten a diagnosis of 'Insertion Poin Achilles Tendonitis'. My condition is aggravated by a stiff big toe. My Dr. has suggested two things: 1. I find a cobbler that can insert a 1/4 inch wedge in the sole of my shoe, so that I can 'roll' better when I walk, and hopefully reduce the tension on the achilles insertion point in my heel. 2. Use an adjustable night splint, and flex at 97 degrees. I was using a 5 degree night splint, and it agravated the situation. I already use orthodics to controll PF, pretty successfully. Can you offer other advise? Is there anyting else I can do? Are there orthodics that can provide a 'roll' one can use in a shoe, instead of modifying every shoe I own?

Thanks for your help!

Re: insertion point achilles tendonitis

Dr. Biehler on 4/05/01 at 10:11 (043697)

It it a tight achilles tendon ,the hallux limitus or a bony block in the ankle causing the problem?? You need about 15 degrees past 90 degrees to smoothly pass over your foot. If it is caused by a bone/joint problem the streches are not going to help and the modified shoe gear is a conservative approch. Dr. B.

John M on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043704)

I have been through 2 surgeries because of this insertional achilles - the 2nd seemed successful - first was shaving the bone to reduce the inflamation which didn't help much. 2nd they 'debrised' the achilles and 7 months later i'm feeling the best i've felt in years. I wouldn't recommend going through either, but depending on how long you've had the problem surgery does seem to help. As a side note, I did go through night spliting, hard casting for 6 and 8 weeks, walking boot, heel lifts, etc to no avail. I am 29 and had had the problem for 3 years before first surgery 2 years ago

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043729)

Hi,

If there is no boney problem with the ankle joint then ESWT is a very good option. We have performed many procedures using ESWT for this chronic problem. If you would like additional information please don't hesitate to contact my office for an ESWT information packet and video. There is also a very good site on the background and treatment for ESWT on this web site.
There is also some patients on our progress report that have had inseritonal achilles tendonitis that we have treated. So if you would like additional information please don't hesitate to call at 1-856-848-3338 or just ask any questions you may have.

Dr. Z

Dr. Biehler on 4/05/01 at 10:11 (043697)

It it a tight achilles tendon ,the hallux limitus or a bony block in the ankle causing the problem?? You need about 15 degrees past 90 degrees to smoothly pass over your foot. If it is caused by a bone/joint problem the streches are not going to help and the modified shoe gear is a conservative approch. Dr. B.

John M on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043704)

I have been through 2 surgeries because of this insertional achilles - the 2nd seemed successful - first was shaving the bone to reduce the inflamation which didn't help much. 2nd they 'debrised' the achilles and 7 months later i'm feeling the best i've felt in years. I wouldn't recommend going through either, but depending on how long you've had the problem surgery does seem to help. As a side note, I did go through night spliting, hard casting for 6 and 8 weeks, walking boot, heel lifts, etc to no avail. I am 29 and had had the problem for 3 years before first surgery 2 years ago

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043729)

Hi,

If there is no boney problem with the ankle joint then ESWT is a very good option. We have performed many procedures using ESWT for this chronic problem. If you would like additional information please don't hesitate to contact my office for an ESWT information packet and video. There is also a very good site on the background and treatment for ESWT on this web site.
There is also some patients on our progress report that have had inseritonal achilles tendonitis that we have treated. So if you would like additional information please don't hesitate to call at 1-856-848-3338 or just ask any questions you may have.

Dr. Z