Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Treatment Canadian Style

Posted by Heidi B on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043694)

I like the sounds of that 'Canadian style' - thanks Rose. Sorry I haven't written in sooner - I have had a lot of things going on in my life right now and I'm trying to catch up on things. Needless to say, I am so glad that this site is available for everyone. I have learned tons from all of you. I'm hoping that Rose will see the significant pain reduction I am hoping for in 6 weeks or so. I did tell her that I was disappointed that she did not see a significant decrease in pain right away - I, like Dr. Z want to see that for everyone - but I am confident she will see results soon.

I really would like to meet Dr. Z - I may have to fly to New Jersey at some point to meet you and see how ESWT is done American style!!

Anyway, I wish my best to all of you and a speedy, healthy recovery from this horrible foot pain. I did tell Rose that the one thing that they don't teach you in school (or at least I didn't learn) is how severe pain truly is. I hope that one day soon you all will know (once again) what it is like to walk without noticing your feet!

Talk to you soon
Heidi

Re: ESWT Treatment Canadian Style

Rose L on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043713)

Heidi!
What a treat to see your post on the message board today! Guess what - eleven days post ESWT and I'm in much better shape (feet calmed down yesterday from the stinging that the ESWT brought on)...and some of the soreness in certain spots is almost gone! I'm so glad I went for the low energy Sonocur! I'm doing the gentle exercises with the theraband like you showed me. Also, my quadricep muscle is sore for the first time in a year, so I know that exercise is working.

I hope you don't get too busy with all my plugs for Canadian Style ESWT!

The picture of us grinning like idiots will be waiting for you when you get back from Ireland. When are you going? Soon, I think.

Heidi - I forgot to ask - I'm seeing a new podiatrist next week. He's with the big HMO I'm with, Kaiser. I'm guessing that he may suggest oral cortisone to speed healing & alleviate inflamation. What do you think?

I'm having fun being a part of this message board community of people. Thanks for checking in...and by the way - you do know about pain - (you know what I mean).

Please respond about the cortisone, then forget about pain and have a great time traveling with your sis!

Love, Rose

Steve P on 4/05/01 at 16:08 (043731)

Hi Heidi --- Thanks for posting. We've heard good things about you!

Can you estimate your percentage success rate so far with the Sonocur? Specifically, the % of patients helped and the % completely cured? I realize you may not have enough data points yet for really meaningful figures, but perhaps you could give us a general idea of how the results are looking so far.

Thanks.............Steve P

Re: ESWT Treatment Canadian Style - To Rose

Cynthia D on 4/07/01 at 09:02 (043903)

Hi Rose, I'm so glad that you are seeing some relief. After my other posts to you, I felt obligated to find you and to tell you that I am much better! I didn't use my 'wheel' chair all day yesterday. I finished my 5 day steriod pack, and it must have helped with the inflammation that was lingering after my treatment 8 weeks ago. Just wanted you to know the good news. Have a great day!

Rose L on 4/08/01 at 15:53 (044005)

Hi, Cynthia

Thanks for your e-mail. I'm 2 weeks post-ESWT and vascillate between being very hopeful and despondent that I'm going to be among the 20% or so who have no response. Is your problem mostly heel pain? Mine is more in the arch and general soreness/inflammation. I really appreciate you telling me that you've seen some relief after the cortisone tablets because I'm seeing a very good podiatrist who I believe is going to suggest cortisone pills - because he offered that before my ESWT. Let's keep each other posted!
Thanks, Rose

Cynthia D on 4/08/01 at 18:29 (044015)

Hi Rose, no my recent past pain was not limited to the heel at all. Before treatment, my pain was ONLY in the heel. Since treatment, the pain is all-over across the bottom, the outside bottom of the left foot, the arches, the balls of the feet, and the heel, too but not at all like it used to be. Good luck with the steroids, I hope they work as well for you as they did for me. I'm sure you will remember if you feel better, that you really should still limit your activity until you are completely healed. I've read about someone here who's pain came back a while after the oral steriod treatment. But I believe that was prior to ESWT for them.

So good luck and keep me posted! (I actually went to a mall today, well one store any way, plus the Gap, the kids desparately needed new clothes!) It was such a treat to pick out what I wanted!! I did take my 'chair on a stick and was on my knees when looking through the lower racks. But what a great improvement - I'll take it!

Rose L on 4/09/01 at 10:39 (044078)

Hi, Cynthia

Thanks for the update. That must be frustrating that the pain was only in your heel post ESWT, and is now all over your foot (feet?). Perhaps the ESWT irritated the tissue throughout your entire foot and when you're all healed, everything will heal! That's the way I'm trying to look at it.

P.S. I can't imagine going through this when my children were young. I've got a 16 year old and a 19 year old, so they're pretty self-sufficient around the house. I just know you're going to come through this. Someone once said, 'people aren't willing to give things the time to heal'. I'm certainly willing, as long as I know that I will get my old life back. Keep me posted!

Best wishes, Rose

Cynthia D on 4/09/01 at 21:00 (044138)

Hi Rose, boy, you sure are patient. I always want everything to happen NOW. I hope some of your kind words of encouragement, as well as your patience, rubs off on my. It definately would be easier if the kids were older, especially the one in diapers. I did start changing him on the floor instead of lifting him and standing the whole time.

Every day now brings more progress! I actually went to a furniture store and ToysRus! That was like a burst of spring to get into the stores again. Better watch the credit cards, though. And now I'm a little sore again. You're right, though, the pain was just in the heel before treatment, and now is more spread out and definately was more painful. But, since 5 days ago, they are definately, definately improving. I can walk a little with no pain. I hope it's permanent, not just temp. from the steroid treatment. How's your progress?

Rose L on 4/10/01 at 21:46 (044219)

Hey, Steve,

Rose again. Just scanned back and saw your post asking Heidi about her percentage of successes. I didn't get any hard data from her other than I was the 14th person who had flown in from the states, and all were doing great post treatment except one guy who flew back for additional treatments. Heidi's really busy now with personal committments, so you may or may not have gotten a reply. Heidi is awesome. I choose her because I liked the idea of low energy treatments and we 'clicked' on the phone. I love her enthusiasm and committment. I knew low energy ESWT couldn't hurt me, and if necessary will have more treatments. Never Give Up!
Best Wishes
Rose

Re: Sorry I didn't respond sooner Steve

Heidi B on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044241)

Hi Steve,

I am so sorry for not responding earlier - I'm struggling a little with some family 'stuff'.

I would estimate that my success rate to date is about 82 - 85%. What does that mean? Well, I ask each person 6 weeks after their last treatment to rate their satisfaction:
Very Happy - COmpletely resolved
Happy - Significant reduction of pain and can carry out daily tasks with
minimal discomfort
No Change - self explanatory
Unhappy - Worse than pre-ESWT

TO date, all of my PF patients fall into the happy and very happy categories. I have had no one (yet... I hope never) fall into the unhappy category nor the no change category.

I hope this info helps - if you need further info - email me and I'll try to respond ASAP.

Rose L on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043713)

Heidi!
What a treat to see your post on the message board today! Guess what - eleven days post ESWT and I'm in much better shape (feet calmed down yesterday from the stinging that the ESWT brought on)...and some of the soreness in certain spots is almost gone! I'm so glad I went for the low energy Sonocur! I'm doing the gentle exercises with the theraband like you showed me. Also, my quadricep muscle is sore for the first time in a year, so I know that exercise is working.

I hope you don't get too busy with all my plugs for Canadian Style ESWT!

The picture of us grinning like idiots will be waiting for you when you get back from Ireland. When are you going? Soon, I think.

Heidi - I forgot to ask - I'm seeing a new podiatrist next week. He's with the big HMO I'm with, Kaiser. I'm guessing that he may suggest oral cortisone to speed healing & alleviate inflamation. What do you think?

I'm having fun being a part of this message board community of people. Thanks for checking in...and by the way - you do know about pain - (you know what I mean).

Please respond about the cortisone, then forget about pain and have a great time traveling with your sis!

Love, Rose

Steve P on 4/05/01 at 16:08 (043731)

Hi Heidi --- Thanks for posting. We've heard good things about you!

Can you estimate your percentage success rate so far with the Sonocur? Specifically, the % of patients helped and the % completely cured? I realize you may not have enough data points yet for really meaningful figures, but perhaps you could give us a general idea of how the results are looking so far.

Thanks.............Steve P

Cynthia D on 4/07/01 at 09:02 (043903)

Hi Rose, I'm so glad that you are seeing some relief. After my other posts to you, I felt obligated to find you and to tell you that I am much better! I didn't use my 'wheel' chair all day yesterday. I finished my 5 day steriod pack, and it must have helped with the inflammation that was lingering after my treatment 8 weeks ago. Just wanted you to know the good news. Have a great day!

Rose L on 4/08/01 at 15:53 (044005)

Hi, Cynthia

Thanks for your e-mail. I'm 2 weeks post-ESWT and vascillate between being very hopeful and despondent that I'm going to be among the 20% or so who have no response. Is your problem mostly heel pain? Mine is more in the arch and general soreness/inflammation. I really appreciate you telling me that you've seen some relief after the cortisone tablets because I'm seeing a very good podiatrist who I believe is going to suggest cortisone pills - because he offered that before my ESWT. Let's keep each other posted!
Thanks, Rose

Cynthia D on 4/08/01 at 18:29 (044015)

Hi Rose, no my recent past pain was not limited to the heel at all. Before treatment, my pain was ONLY in the heel. Since treatment, the pain is all-over across the bottom, the outside bottom of the left foot, the arches, the balls of the feet, and the heel, too but not at all like it used to be. Good luck with the steroids, I hope they work as well for you as they did for me. I'm sure you will remember if you feel better, that you really should still limit your activity until you are completely healed. I've read about someone here who's pain came back a while after the oral steriod treatment. But I believe that was prior to ESWT for them.

So good luck and keep me posted! (I actually went to a mall today, well one store any way, plus the Gap, the kids desparately needed new clothes!) It was such a treat to pick out what I wanted!! I did take my 'chair on a stick and was on my knees when looking through the lower racks. But what a great improvement - I'll take it!

Rose L on 4/09/01 at 10:39 (044078)

Hi, Cynthia

Thanks for the update. That must be frustrating that the pain was only in your heel post ESWT, and is now all over your foot (feet?). Perhaps the ESWT irritated the tissue throughout your entire foot and when you're all healed, everything will heal! That's the way I'm trying to look at it.

P.S. I can't imagine going through this when my children were young. I've got a 16 year old and a 19 year old, so they're pretty self-sufficient around the house. I just know you're going to come through this. Someone once said, 'people aren't willing to give things the time to heal'. I'm certainly willing, as long as I know that I will get my old life back. Keep me posted!

Best wishes, Rose

Cynthia D on 4/09/01 at 21:00 (044138)

Hi Rose, boy, you sure are patient. I always want everything to happen NOW. I hope some of your kind words of encouragement, as well as your patience, rubs off on my. It definately would be easier if the kids were older, especially the one in diapers. I did start changing him on the floor instead of lifting him and standing the whole time.

Every day now brings more progress! I actually went to a furniture store and ToysRus! That was like a burst of spring to get into the stores again. Better watch the credit cards, though. And now I'm a little sore again. You're right, though, the pain was just in the heel before treatment, and now is more spread out and definately was more painful. But, since 5 days ago, they are definately, definately improving. I can walk a little with no pain. I hope it's permanent, not just temp. from the steroid treatment. How's your progress?

Rose L on 4/10/01 at 21:46 (044219)

Hey, Steve,

Rose again. Just scanned back and saw your post asking Heidi about her percentage of successes. I didn't get any hard data from her other than I was the 14th person who had flown in from the states, and all were doing great post treatment except one guy who flew back for additional treatments. Heidi's really busy now with personal committments, so you may or may not have gotten a reply. Heidi is awesome. I choose her because I liked the idea of low energy treatments and we 'clicked' on the phone. I love her enthusiasm and committment. I knew low energy ESWT couldn't hurt me, and if necessary will have more treatments. Never Give Up!
Best Wishes
Rose

Re: Sorry I didn't respond sooner Steve

Heidi B on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044241)

Hi Steve,

I am so sorry for not responding earlier - I'm struggling a little with some family 'stuff'.

I would estimate that my success rate to date is about 82 - 85%. What does that mean? Well, I ask each person 6 weeks after their last treatment to rate their satisfaction:
Very Happy - COmpletely resolved
Happy - Significant reduction of pain and can carry out daily tasks with
minimal discomfort
No Change - self explanatory
Unhappy - Worse than pre-ESWT

TO date, all of my PF patients fall into the happy and very happy categories. I have had no one (yet... I hope never) fall into the unhappy category nor the no change category.

I hope this info helps - if you need further info - email me and I'll try to respond ASAP.