Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

the bunionectomy and plantar fasciotomy woman

Posted by claudia on 4/05/01 at 10:28 (043707)

Hello Dr. Zuckerman. Browsing today and decided to say hello and ask a question! (as usual...) So i am in my fourth week of PT and it isn't really helpful but it's better than nothing. if i do even a little bit too much...and i never know what that is going to mean exactly....i am in great pain.....but i am working on accepting the fact that this recovery will be way longer than i was told it would be. here's todays' question....would this be 'doing too much' since even this causes swelling and discomfort? three days a week i do an upper body weight workout, only about twenty minutes worth, most of it sitting down, 5lb weights.....but i still end up with a screaming foot. SOME of the work is done standing up, but not much. should i not be doing this either? should i really REALLY just be 'resting' and walking when i have to? i hope you can answer me before i lose what is left of my mind! thank you very much.

Re: the bunionectomy and plantar fasciotomy woman

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at 14:49 (043725)

Hi,

I am surprised that you are having pain with upper body weight lifting. If there is pain you must not do the specific weight lifting. So rest and only do walking and working as tolerated.

Dr. Z

Julie on 4/05/01 at 17:45 (043743)

Claudia, the body works as a synergistic whole: part of it is connected to every other part. If you're experiencing foot pain while doing an upper body workout I'd guess that it could be because the effort of working with the weights is causing you to press your feet into the floor. Check this out: if this is what you're doing, it is probably why it's hurting, so you could try NOT to do it. If you find that makes it impossible to do the upper body workout, better lay off it till you're healed.

claudia on 4/05/01 at 18:55 (043754)

thanks for the input julie and i think that is the problem.....there really isn't any way of avoiding the weight on the feet when one is standing and doing weights is there? those poor feet....at the end of the chain and taking the brunt of everything. actually i have recently taken to thanking my feet for everything they have done/do for me...i am serious.
i think i will just do the minimal weight work i am doing while sitting down.....even though some things are better done standing. this has been the hardest thing i have ever recovered from.....i've had knee surgery, elbow surgery and a hysterectomy. by far, these two procedures together have been the WORST.

wendyn on 4/05/01 at 21:01 (043772)

Sit and do your weights. Seriously - i usually sit on the end of a weight bench and there are very few weights I can't do that way. 5 pounds in each hand wouldn't bother me - but any more and I will feel it in my feet if I'm standing. Try straddling the bench if it's easier - or you could even kneel on a mat if that's more comfortable. There really shouldn't be any reason that you HAVE to stand.

Julie on 4/06/01 at 02:36 (043791)

Claudia (and Wendy) - I assumed, because you said so, that you were talking about sitting when you do weights. _Of course_ standing weights would strain the feet (when my PF was at its worst, just standing still gave me more pain than walking). What I meant was that even while sitting, doing weights would cause you to press down into the floor with your feet. My suggestion was: try to be aware of what you're doing with your feet, and if you are pressing down into them, try to stop doing that. If you than find you can't do do the weights without pressing the feet down, stop doing the weights.

It should be possible though: it's really a matter of being aware of what you're doing and of what muscles are being used, isolating the muscles that are needed for the work, and not using muscles that aren't needed.

Hope this is clear now

Re: thanking your feet

Julie on 4/06/01 at 02:38 (043792)

Missed this bit. It's a great idea to thank your feet for all they do for you. Be glad you have them and treat them lovingly.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at 14:49 (043725)

Hi,

I am surprised that you are having pain with upper body weight lifting. If there is pain you must not do the specific weight lifting. So rest and only do walking and working as tolerated.

Dr. Z

Julie on 4/05/01 at 17:45 (043743)

Claudia, the body works as a synergistic whole: part of it is connected to every other part. If you're experiencing foot pain while doing an upper body workout I'd guess that it could be because the effort of working with the weights is causing you to press your feet into the floor. Check this out: if this is what you're doing, it is probably why it's hurting, so you could try NOT to do it. If you find that makes it impossible to do the upper body workout, better lay off it till you're healed.

claudia on 4/05/01 at 18:55 (043754)

thanks for the input julie and i think that is the problem.....there really isn't any way of avoiding the weight on the feet when one is standing and doing weights is there? those poor feet....at the end of the chain and taking the brunt of everything. actually i have recently taken to thanking my feet for everything they have done/do for me...i am serious.
i think i will just do the minimal weight work i am doing while sitting down.....even though some things are better done standing. this has been the hardest thing i have ever recovered from.....i've had knee surgery, elbow surgery and a hysterectomy. by far, these two procedures together have been the WORST.

wendyn on 4/05/01 at 21:01 (043772)

Sit and do your weights. Seriously - i usually sit on the end of a weight bench and there are very few weights I can't do that way. 5 pounds in each hand wouldn't bother me - but any more and I will feel it in my feet if I'm standing. Try straddling the bench if it's easier - or you could even kneel on a mat if that's more comfortable. There really shouldn't be any reason that you HAVE to stand.

Julie on 4/06/01 at 02:36 (043791)

Claudia (and Wendy) - I assumed, because you said so, that you were talking about sitting when you do weights. _Of course_ standing weights would strain the feet (when my PF was at its worst, just standing still gave me more pain than walking). What I meant was that even while sitting, doing weights would cause you to press down into the floor with your feet. My suggestion was: try to be aware of what you're doing with your feet, and if you are pressing down into them, try to stop doing that. If you than find you can't do do the weights without pressing the feet down, stop doing the weights.

It should be possible though: it's really a matter of being aware of what you're doing and of what muscles are being used, isolating the muscles that are needed for the work, and not using muscles that aren't needed.

Hope this is clear now

Re: thanking your feet

Julie on 4/06/01 at 02:38 (043792)

Missed this bit. It's a great idea to thank your feet for all they do for you. Be glad you have them and treat them lovingly.