Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting

Posted by Pauline on 4/05/01 at 15:29 (043726)

Nothing here about feet, but I just read about a new procedure to shrink
tonsils. The device got FDA approval and should begin to elininate children and adults from having their tonsils removed. They used to yank out tonsils before ear tubes became the rage, now tonsil shrinking might be the fashionable thing to have done. Check yours out if their tooooo
big you can have them shrunk. I guess they don't implant in that area, so
those with small ones are out of luck. Just a break from feet.

Re: Interesting

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 15:41 (043728)

I had my tonsils out when I was in kindergarten, but was under the impression that they haven't done that for quite some time, in most cases. I wonder what they've been doing instead?

Kay S on 4/05/01 at 16:32 (043737)

Nancy--tonsillectomies are still being done, just not as 'easily' as they were done years ago. Now the insurance companies want kids to have had 3 or more infections in a year's time before they will pay for a T&A. I am sure there is other criteria also, but that is the one I hear all the time from parents.
I work in a community hospital and we probably do at least ten T&A's per week. The kids are still sick and pukey, just like the old days, though I won't go into the details. Most of these kids get tubes in their ears too.
I don't know what the procedure is for 'shrinking' the tonsils. There was a push for awhile to use the laser, but most of the time the patient has to come back several times and they don't like that, I guess, because we don't have many who are getting it done that way.
That's all I have to say about that!
Kay

DR. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at 17:48 (043744)

I still remember having mine out in 4th grade. I remember the nurse giving DR. Z the big needle in the butt. I remember falling in love with the little girl next to me and holding her hand the next day. We both had our tonsils out that day. I think that this was my first crush. I remember it being done during the Christmas holiday's . i remember the ice cream the next day. They were the good old days. I also remember my best friend having the procedure done and almost dying from a bleeding problem.

wendyn on 4/05/01 at 18:12 (043747)

I had my tonsils out when I was 5. I remember that they made me stay in the hospital in a big crib. My mom could only visit during certain times and I was terrified. The little boys in the room next to me chased me down the hallway with one of those rubber dart guns and I hid under my neighbors bed. I remember the shots in my butt too. I am still traumatized by how terrifying the whole thing was. I also remember being excited when they gave me food again, thinking that they were going to give me ice cream (that's what everyone always said you got). I got hospital mashed potatoes. Gross. I honestly remember this so vividly you'd think it was last week. I can see the ugly little potatoes in the hospital dish with the lid.

I'm glad that hosiptals treat kids and their parents better today.

Barb-NY on 4/05/01 at 19:20 (043760)

I had my tonsils and adnoids out during first grade. I had several bouts of tonsilitis. I never got a shot, they gave me ether. I remember screaming when they put the cloth over my face. My father later told me my mother heard my screams and started to cry :-(

They gave me ice cream afterward and my mother started to read me Bambi. I couldn't stay awake long enough to hear the end of the story. But rumor has it that Bambi's mother dies.

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 20:37 (043768)

me too - tonsils out at age five, big crib, bigger hospital! When my mom left for the night I cried and cried. The nurse got so fed up with me that she finally pointed to a drain hole in the floor, asking me if I knew what it was for. I didn't have a clue (duh!). She then informed me that bad kids like me and their beds got shoved down that hole and under it was a lightless basement where all the bad kids were kept! Yuk! It sure took a number of years to outgrow THAT nightmare!

Pauline on 4/05/01 at 20:56 (043770)

God didn't hospitals treat children great. From our memories it sounds like we need a tonsil support group or in the very least psychotherapy.

wendyn on 4/05/01 at 21:12 (043775)

Since we are always looking for a cause to what ails us....how about a connection between childhood hospital psychological trauma and mid life foot pain? Maybe we could sue the hospitals that treated us so badly a million or so years ago!

Re: works for me! eom

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 21:14 (043779)

:)

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 21:37 (043785)

Dr. Z, I think that is so sweet about the little girl next to you! I didn't know if could be such a dangerous procedure, though. Hey, weren't you guys allowed to have a parent stay with you in the hospital? My mom stayed in the room with me overnight. I think I'd have been mortified otherwise. I had mine out on April Fool's day, and she got me to tell April Fools jokes to the doctors and nurses all day. I thought nothing of it, but apparently it really choked the docs up that I was sitting there joking with them and they were going to have to do this surgery on me. I also remember there was a girl down the hall who had cancer and didn't have any hair. She wore this gorgeous red wig, though, which I thought was great. My great grandmother was also in for something else at the same time I was, so that was kind of cool for me--I remember them wheeling her down to see me.

Wow, I haven't thought about all this in ages... I think they offered me the ice cream, but I didn't have the stomach for it after the surgery. Mom read me a Little Golden Book called No More Tonsils and was stunned when I still wanted her to read it to me months later--she figured once it was over, I wouldn't care about it anymore. I am pretty sure I only had my tonsils out, and still have the adenoids.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's traumatic experiences with it, though. Yikes. No nurse should be allowed to tell a child she'll be pushed down a drain, no matter how bad the child is (it's a hospital, fer the love o' pete)!

Julie on 4/06/01 at 09:52 (043804)

I should have had my tonsils out when I was five, but that was 60 years ago during one of the periods when tonsillectomies were unfashionable (they do go in and out of fashion). I remember being bitterly disappointed when the doctor said I couldn't have mine out because I'd been looking forward to the ice cream I heard they gave you afterwards. Not that I was deprived of ice cream in my Bronx childhood (anybody remember Bungalow Bar and the Good Humor Man?). I guess I just liked the idea of having it in a hospital.

Barb, I'm sorry to have to tell you that Bambi's mother does die - she is shot and killed by a hunter very early on in Bambi's fawnhood. It's one of the saddest children's stories.

BrianG on 4/06/01 at 11:28 (043819)

I remember the Either. That was some nasty stuff. I had it twice and had the same vivid nightmare both times. I was on a trapeze, holding on by my knees, spining round and round. I was going faster and faster, and there was fire all around me. I finally couldn't hold on any more and I slipped away from the trapeze, flying into the fire. Next thing I know, I'm waking up and I have the the FIRE in my throat! Like I said, nasty stuff.

BCG

Barb-NY on 4/06/01 at 12:01 (043825)

I grew up in Brooklyn and I sure do remember Bungalow Bar and Good Humor ice cream. They also came around with mobile merry-go-rounds, whips, and half-moon rides. I also remember the mobile fruit trucks, knife sharpeners. I remember the electric bus that rode on trolley tracks. I remember Coney Island at its prime. I remember what Manhattan looked like before the World Trade Center. I remember the NY World's Fair (3 times).

Barbara TX on 4/06/01 at 12:32 (043830)

It is a SAD story! However, my northern childhood made me calloused to this, because we ate the deer we shot all the time, for food. We called our hamburgers 'Bambiburgers.' Sorry, animal lovers! B.

Julie on 4/06/01 at 16:45 (043857)

Me too, Barb, me too - I remember all those things! The 1939 World's Fair was unforgettable, wasn't it? I have a photo of my mother and me walking towards the Trylon and Perisphere. I was 4. And we made the long, long subway trip from the Bronx to Coney Island often, at least once a year. I loved it, until I was about 12 and then suddenly couldn't see the point of scaring myself to death on the rides any more. And Manhattan without the World Trade Centre - yes.

Not long ago I stumbled on a lovely website called 'Back in the Bronx' - full of what it calls 'Bronx trivia', i.e. pure nostalgia. Photographs and reminiscences from the 30s and 40. It almost made me weep. I wonder if there's a Brooklyn equivalent...

Kay S on 4/06/01 at 18:06 (043861)

I had my tonsils out at age 6 but can't remember being traumatized by it. I think I have this wonderful ability to block out all the bad things. I suppose one day I will go completely crazy for no reason, need to be psychoanalyzed, and they will find out I have repressed all the bad stuff in my past.
Now the kids get popsicles after the surgery, and crushed ice. Most of them are not that thrilled to have either since they hurt like h---, but if we have done a good job teaching them preop, they are more willing to go along with that part. And if the parents are cooperative that helps too. Yes it does hurt, but if they drink, drink, drink, it is so much better.
I had a ten year old girl this week who had a hardware removal from her leg, and I have never been so annoyed at a kid and parents since I started nursing more than twenty years ago. She started whining before we even got close to her, and lifting the covers to look at her leg brought screams, and neither of the parents said one word to her about it. She never had any expression on her face except a frown, and she was totally mad that she was going to have to go home rather than stay in the hospital overnight the way she thought. The peds nurses called to say 'thanks' because they remembered her from her original surgery and said it was a nightmare for everyone. I really think I am a patient person and understand the stress of being in the hospital, but this was wayyyyyyyyyy overboard. It was obvious that this girl was the one in charge of everything at her house, and she called all the shots. I was very firm with my instructions and not my usual sunny self, which dismayed me also, but I'm telling you, this kid really got under my skin.
A day in the life...........
Kay

Barb-NY on 4/06/01 at 18:44 (043873)

1939?!? I don't go that far back: :-0 I was talking about the second NY World's Fair in Flushing Queens. I still venture back to Brooklyn because my parents still live there.

Re: Interesting/Tonsilectomies

Donna M. on 4/06/01 at 23:56 (043887)

Reading each of your comments definitely brought back memories of getting my tonsils taken out! I had mine taken out when I was 5 and then low and behold they grew back and I had them removed again when I was 10! I don't remember either time being a bad experience, I just remember all the good cokes, jello and ice cream I got to eat! Maybe that's why I am a junk food junkie now!! :-)

Julie on 4/07/01 at 02:42 (043893)

Oops, Barb - I should have realized, from your mentioning the buses that rode on trolley tracks, that you meant World's Fair Mk 2. I remember the trolleys themselves! Sorry to add on some years. Anyway - the 60s aren't bad. In fact, I was just (literally, ten minutes ago) telling my husband that right now are the best years of my life. (He was reminiscing nostalgically about his army days in Australia in WW2.)

john h on 4/07/01 at 09:32 (043908)

my tonsils were removed at about age 5. they used gas in those days administered by placing a mask over your face. the usual ice cream after a day. thank god i do not remember the other thing they do to little boys.

john h on 4/10/01 at 15:31 (044189)

barb: i lived on Flatbush Avenue on the grounds of the Brooklyn State Hospital (my uncle was a psycharist there). Went to Coney Island and riding the electric horses in the steeple chase frequently. took the subway to wall street and worked on maiden lane. Ebbetts field and the dodgers were still the heroes.

ellen on 4/11/01 at 08:21 (044245)

John,
What cross street on Flatbush was that at? Just curious, since I work in the area.
Ellen

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 15:41 (043728)

I had my tonsils out when I was in kindergarten, but was under the impression that they haven't done that for quite some time, in most cases. I wonder what they've been doing instead?

Kay S on 4/05/01 at 16:32 (043737)

Nancy--tonsillectomies are still being done, just not as 'easily' as they were done years ago. Now the insurance companies want kids to have had 3 or more infections in a year's time before they will pay for a T&A. I am sure there is other criteria also, but that is the one I hear all the time from parents.
I work in a community hospital and we probably do at least ten T&A's per week. The kids are still sick and pukey, just like the old days, though I won't go into the details. Most of these kids get tubes in their ears too.
I don't know what the procedure is for 'shrinking' the tonsils. There was a push for awhile to use the laser, but most of the time the patient has to come back several times and they don't like that, I guess, because we don't have many who are getting it done that way.
That's all I have to say about that!
Kay

DR. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at 17:48 (043744)

I still remember having mine out in 4th grade. I remember the nurse giving DR. Z the big needle in the butt. I remember falling in love with the little girl next to me and holding her hand the next day. We both had our tonsils out that day. I think that this was my first crush. I remember it being done during the Christmas holiday's . i remember the ice cream the next day. They were the good old days. I also remember my best friend having the procedure done and almost dying from a bleeding problem.

wendyn on 4/05/01 at 18:12 (043747)

I had my tonsils out when I was 5. I remember that they made me stay in the hospital in a big crib. My mom could only visit during certain times and I was terrified. The little boys in the room next to me chased me down the hallway with one of those rubber dart guns and I hid under my neighbors bed. I remember the shots in my butt too. I am still traumatized by how terrifying the whole thing was. I also remember being excited when they gave me food again, thinking that they were going to give me ice cream (that's what everyone always said you got). I got hospital mashed potatoes. Gross. I honestly remember this so vividly you'd think it was last week. I can see the ugly little potatoes in the hospital dish with the lid.

I'm glad that hosiptals treat kids and their parents better today.

Barb-NY on 4/05/01 at 19:20 (043760)

I had my tonsils and adnoids out during first grade. I had several bouts of tonsilitis. I never got a shot, they gave me ether. I remember screaming when they put the cloth over my face. My father later told me my mother heard my screams and started to cry :-(

They gave me ice cream afterward and my mother started to read me Bambi. I couldn't stay awake long enough to hear the end of the story. But rumor has it that Bambi's mother dies.

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 20:37 (043768)

me too - tonsils out at age five, big crib, bigger hospital! When my mom left for the night I cried and cried. The nurse got so fed up with me that she finally pointed to a drain hole in the floor, asking me if I knew what it was for. I didn't have a clue (duh!). She then informed me that bad kids like me and their beds got shoved down that hole and under it was a lightless basement where all the bad kids were kept! Yuk! It sure took a number of years to outgrow THAT nightmare!

Pauline on 4/05/01 at 20:56 (043770)

God didn't hospitals treat children great. From our memories it sounds like we need a tonsil support group or in the very least psychotherapy.

wendyn on 4/05/01 at 21:12 (043775)

Since we are always looking for a cause to what ails us....how about a connection between childhood hospital psychological trauma and mid life foot pain? Maybe we could sue the hospitals that treated us so badly a million or so years ago!

Re: works for me! eom

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 21:14 (043779)

:)

Nancy N on 4/05/01 at 21:37 (043785)

Dr. Z, I think that is so sweet about the little girl next to you! I didn't know if could be such a dangerous procedure, though. Hey, weren't you guys allowed to have a parent stay with you in the hospital? My mom stayed in the room with me overnight. I think I'd have been mortified otherwise. I had mine out on April Fool's day, and she got me to tell April Fools jokes to the doctors and nurses all day. I thought nothing of it, but apparently it really choked the docs up that I was sitting there joking with them and they were going to have to do this surgery on me. I also remember there was a girl down the hall who had cancer and didn't have any hair. She wore this gorgeous red wig, though, which I thought was great. My great grandmother was also in for something else at the same time I was, so that was kind of cool for me--I remember them wheeling her down to see me.

Wow, I haven't thought about all this in ages... I think they offered me the ice cream, but I didn't have the stomach for it after the surgery. Mom read me a Little Golden Book called No More Tonsils and was stunned when I still wanted her to read it to me months later--she figured once it was over, I wouldn't care about it anymore. I am pretty sure I only had my tonsils out, and still have the adenoids.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's traumatic experiences with it, though. Yikes. No nurse should be allowed to tell a child she'll be pushed down a drain, no matter how bad the child is (it's a hospital, fer the love o' pete)!

Julie on 4/06/01 at 09:52 (043804)

I should have had my tonsils out when I was five, but that was 60 years ago during one of the periods when tonsillectomies were unfashionable (they do go in and out of fashion). I remember being bitterly disappointed when the doctor said I couldn't have mine out because I'd been looking forward to the ice cream I heard they gave you afterwards. Not that I was deprived of ice cream in my Bronx childhood (anybody remember Bungalow Bar and the Good Humor Man?). I guess I just liked the idea of having it in a hospital.

Barb, I'm sorry to have to tell you that Bambi's mother does die - she is shot and killed by a hunter very early on in Bambi's fawnhood. It's one of the saddest children's stories.

BrianG on 4/06/01 at 11:28 (043819)

I remember the Either. That was some nasty stuff. I had it twice and had the same vivid nightmare both times. I was on a trapeze, holding on by my knees, spining round and round. I was going faster and faster, and there was fire all around me. I finally couldn't hold on any more and I slipped away from the trapeze, flying into the fire. Next thing I know, I'm waking up and I have the the FIRE in my throat! Like I said, nasty stuff.

BCG

Barb-NY on 4/06/01 at 12:01 (043825)

I grew up in Brooklyn and I sure do remember Bungalow Bar and Good Humor ice cream. They also came around with mobile merry-go-rounds, whips, and half-moon rides. I also remember the mobile fruit trucks, knife sharpeners. I remember the electric bus that rode on trolley tracks. I remember Coney Island at its prime. I remember what Manhattan looked like before the World Trade Center. I remember the NY World's Fair (3 times).

Barbara TX on 4/06/01 at 12:32 (043830)

It is a SAD story! However, my northern childhood made me calloused to this, because we ate the deer we shot all the time, for food. We called our hamburgers 'Bambiburgers.' Sorry, animal lovers! B.

Julie on 4/06/01 at 16:45 (043857)

Me too, Barb, me too - I remember all those things! The 1939 World's Fair was unforgettable, wasn't it? I have a photo of my mother and me walking towards the Trylon and Perisphere. I was 4. And we made the long, long subway trip from the Bronx to Coney Island often, at least once a year. I loved it, until I was about 12 and then suddenly couldn't see the point of scaring myself to death on the rides any more. And Manhattan without the World Trade Centre - yes.

Not long ago I stumbled on a lovely website called 'Back in the Bronx' - full of what it calls 'Bronx trivia', i.e. pure nostalgia. Photographs and reminiscences from the 30s and 40. It almost made me weep. I wonder if there's a Brooklyn equivalent...

Kay S on 4/06/01 at 18:06 (043861)

I had my tonsils out at age 6 but can't remember being traumatized by it. I think I have this wonderful ability to block out all the bad things. I suppose one day I will go completely crazy for no reason, need to be psychoanalyzed, and they will find out I have repressed all the bad stuff in my past.
Now the kids get popsicles after the surgery, and crushed ice. Most of them are not that thrilled to have either since they hurt like h---, but if we have done a good job teaching them preop, they are more willing to go along with that part. And if the parents are cooperative that helps too. Yes it does hurt, but if they drink, drink, drink, it is so much better.
I had a ten year old girl this week who had a hardware removal from her leg, and I have never been so annoyed at a kid and parents since I started nursing more than twenty years ago. She started whining before we even got close to her, and lifting the covers to look at her leg brought screams, and neither of the parents said one word to her about it. She never had any expression on her face except a frown, and she was totally mad that she was going to have to go home rather than stay in the hospital overnight the way she thought. The peds nurses called to say 'thanks' because they remembered her from her original surgery and said it was a nightmare for everyone. I really think I am a patient person and understand the stress of being in the hospital, but this was wayyyyyyyyyy overboard. It was obvious that this girl was the one in charge of everything at her house, and she called all the shots. I was very firm with my instructions and not my usual sunny self, which dismayed me also, but I'm telling you, this kid really got under my skin.
A day in the life...........
Kay

Barb-NY on 4/06/01 at 18:44 (043873)

1939?!? I don't go that far back: :-0 I was talking about the second NY World's Fair in Flushing Queens. I still venture back to Brooklyn because my parents still live there.

Re: Interesting/Tonsilectomies

Donna M. on 4/06/01 at 23:56 (043887)

Reading each of your comments definitely brought back memories of getting my tonsils taken out! I had mine taken out when I was 5 and then low and behold they grew back and I had them removed again when I was 10! I don't remember either time being a bad experience, I just remember all the good cokes, jello and ice cream I got to eat! Maybe that's why I am a junk food junkie now!! :-)

Julie on 4/07/01 at 02:42 (043893)

Oops, Barb - I should have realized, from your mentioning the buses that rode on trolley tracks, that you meant World's Fair Mk 2. I remember the trolleys themselves! Sorry to add on some years. Anyway - the 60s aren't bad. In fact, I was just (literally, ten minutes ago) telling my husband that right now are the best years of my life. (He was reminiscing nostalgically about his army days in Australia in WW2.)

john h on 4/07/01 at 09:32 (043908)

my tonsils were removed at about age 5. they used gas in those days administered by placing a mask over your face. the usual ice cream after a day. thank god i do not remember the other thing they do to little boys.

john h on 4/10/01 at 15:31 (044189)

barb: i lived on Flatbush Avenue on the grounds of the Brooklyn State Hospital (my uncle was a psycharist there). Went to Coney Island and riding the electric horses in the steeple chase frequently. took the subway to wall street and worked on maiden lane. Ebbetts field and the dodgers were still the heroes.

ellen on 4/11/01 at 08:21 (044245)

John,
What cross street on Flatbush was that at? Just curious, since I work in the area.
Ellen