Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

smooth or bumby?

Posted by ross r on 4/05/01 at 17:33 (043740)

Should my plantar fascia feel smooth? When I pull my toes back so it's a little tight I can feel little bumps here and there. I'm thinking this is scar tissue. What should I do about this?

Re: smooth or bumby?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at 17:41 (043742)

Hi,

The plantar fascia doesn't get tight . It is usually the flexors and other tendons below the plantar fascia that become tight.

Make sure the achilles tendon is loose first. Do you know the status of your achilles tendon. Have you been told it is tight?

Re: achilles

ross r on 4/05/01 at 19:19 (043759)

Howdy,
I'm pretty sure my achilles tendon is loose. I have been doing the stretching where it looks like you are pushing against the wall but that stretches my calf more than anything. How do I know if my achilles is too tight? What might the bumps be?
Ross

Pam R. on 4/05/01 at 22:07 (043788)

Are the bumps you're feeling on the bottom of your feet? If they are, they could be fibromas, which are benign tumors on the sheath of your tendon. I have them and if this is what you are talking about there really is no need for concern. Just don't let anyone talk you into having them removed. This would be a very invasive surgery and would cause more harm than good. Am I on the right track with this Doctor? Thanks, Soft ((HUGS)) Pam

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/06/01 at 14:08 (043848)

I would agree, that if there are palpable 'lumps or bumps' in the bottom of the foot it may be small fibromas. This condition, called plantar fibromatosis is benign and rarely requires surgery. However, there are times that the lesions become very painful below a weightbearing area and require surgical intervention. The advantages of surgical correction is that the painful lesions are removed. The disadvantages are that there is often a high rate of recurrence and the possibility of a thick and painful scar at the bottom of the foot. Although surgically removing one fibroma often is helpful, recurrence rates are high and many surgeons advocate a wide excision the the entire area. As with any surgical procedure, the benefits must outweigh the potential risks. Therefore, if these small bumps are painless, bring it to the attention of your doctor and keep a close watch for any signs of change, discomfort, etc. prior to considering any surgery. An MRI may be helpful in determining the characteristics of the lesions to make sure that there is nothing suspicious present.

Joanna on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044196)

What OTHER suspicious things can lumps on the feet be?

Re: smooth or bumby?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/05/01 at 17:41 (043742)

Hi,

The plantar fascia doesn't get tight . It is usually the flexors and other tendons below the plantar fascia that become tight.

Make sure the achilles tendon is loose first. Do you know the status of your achilles tendon. Have you been told it is tight?

ross r on 4/05/01 at 19:19 (043759)

Howdy,
I'm pretty sure my achilles tendon is loose. I have been doing the stretching where it looks like you are pushing against the wall but that stretches my calf more than anything. How do I know if my achilles is too tight? What might the bumps be?
Ross

Pam R. on 4/05/01 at 22:07 (043788)

Are the bumps you're feeling on the bottom of your feet? If they are, they could be fibromas, which are benign tumors on the sheath of your tendon. I have them and if this is what you are talking about there really is no need for concern. Just don't let anyone talk you into having them removed. This would be a very invasive surgery and would cause more harm than good. Am I on the right track with this Doctor? Thanks, Soft ((HUGS)) Pam

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/06/01 at 14:08 (043848)

I would agree, that if there are palpable 'lumps or bumps' in the bottom of the foot it may be small fibromas. This condition, called plantar fibromatosis is benign and rarely requires surgery. However, there are times that the lesions become very painful below a weightbearing area and require surgical intervention. The advantages of surgical correction is that the painful lesions are removed. The disadvantages are that there is often a high rate of recurrence and the possibility of a thick and painful scar at the bottom of the foot. Although surgically removing one fibroma often is helpful, recurrence rates are high and many surgeons advocate a wide excision the the entire area. As with any surgical procedure, the benefits must outweigh the potential risks. Therefore, if these small bumps are painless, bring it to the attention of your doctor and keep a close watch for any signs of change, discomfort, etc. prior to considering any surgery. An MRI may be helpful in determining the characteristics of the lesions to make sure that there is nothing suspicious present.

Joanna on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044196)

What OTHER suspicious things can lumps on the feet be?