Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To the ESWT Docs.......

Posted by JudyS on 4/05/01 at 21:12 (043776)

Dr.'s Bieher, Reid and Zuckerman,
There is currently a discussion here regarding pain level after ESWT treatments. I've read that some patients leave the treatment table with never again having pain, and I've heard some say they are hurting worse than ever weeks after treatment. If ESWT is designed to, more or less, create a certain amount of 'damage' in the Plantar, thereby forcing the body to increase healing blood flow to the area, then how could anyone not experience some pain for at least a few days after? I mean, after all, the Plantar has been stressed by the shockwaves, right? How could it not hurt and require it's own healing time? It seems like one should expect to have sore feet for awhile.

Re: But the pain is temporary isn't it? How long does it linger?

Beverly on 4/05/01 at 21:15 (043780)

eom..

Re: To the ESWT Docs.......

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/06/01 at 08:22 (043797)

Some patients get hyperstimulation of the local pain receptors which causes lack of pain transmission, therefore no pain.

Re: But the pain is temporary isn't it? How long does it linger?

Beverly on 4/05/01 at 21:15 (043780)

eom..

Re: To the ESWT Docs.......

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/06/01 at 08:22 (043797)

Some patients get hyperstimulation of the local pain receptors which causes lack of pain transmission, therefore no pain.