Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery date

Posted by Jen on 4/05/01 at 21:22 (043781)

Hello all,
I'm scheduled for surgery this Monday, 4/9. Wish me luck as I'm both excited and petrified of the recovery.. I hope I have a speedy recovery and little setback...Thanks for all your words

Jen

Re: surgery date

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 21:29 (043783)

Here's a bucketfull of luck for you, Jen! But guess what - you don't need it! You'll be fine so exorcise that word 'petrified' right out of your vocabulary! Remember, you're in charge of your recovery, period. Plan to be very proactive with proper recovery procedures and don't be surprised if you don't feel 'recovered' as quickly as you'd like. Remember, this is surgery, it takes time to recover, and recover you will. My husband had the surgery and never looked back. It hurt for awhile, and, just as with any injury, he gradually got better and is now running 7 miles four times a week ( darn him!). Be smart, be strong, be patient!

Pam R, on 4/05/01 at 21:48 (043787)

Jen, I felt like you did before my surgery, now I wonder why, I was so scared. I guess it is just human nature to be afraid of the unknown. I'm 2 weeks post-op and feeling great. I'm totally weight-bearing all day but by evening after dinner, I slow down and sit and maybe ice my foot for a while if I feel any pain. But I'm truly amazed at how quickly I am healing. I know everyone is different and every doctor has a different approach to this surgery--BUT YOU'LL DO GREAT!! Remember we are all just a click away. Soft ((HUGS)) Pam

Susan U on 4/06/01 at 11:21 (043818)

Good luck, Jen. We'll all be thinking of you. I am scheduled for Wed. 4/11 for my foot and knee. My dr. just told me I'll probably be non-weight bearing for 4-5 days, but I can walk on it whenevery I want to. He also said I can remove the bandaging in 48 hours to shower, if I'm up to it and see him in two weeks to have the stitches removed. I can't wait! Keep us informed if you're up to it.

BrianG on 4/06/01 at 21:05 (043885)

Hi Susan,

My doc advised I keep my bandage dry for the 1st week after my surgery. I used the plastic bags that groceries come in. I'd put the first one on, then used masking tape to secure it around my ankle. I'd then put a 2nd bag over the 1st one, and used the masking tape again. I had scissors ready fo cut the tape and bags off after I got dried off.

I think we did it this way because I really impressed upon him that I didn't want any infections. And I didn't get any. I took antibiotics also, good luck.

BCG

ps You might want to keep a pis* pot next to your bed the next morning, as well as a bottle of water and any pain pills you might be prescribed. I was VERY sore that next morning and had to crawl to the bathroom . Of course everyone is different.

Jen on 4/07/01 at 21:37 (043945)

Thank you all for your encouraging words!!! They help so much. Even though surgery is Monday, I find myself becoming more excited than nervous. I can't wait to see if this finally cures my condition and I can have my life back!! I'll talk to you all as soon as I can make it to the computer..
Jen

JudyS on 4/05/01 at 21:29 (043783)

Here's a bucketfull of luck for you, Jen! But guess what - you don't need it! You'll be fine so exorcise that word 'petrified' right out of your vocabulary! Remember, you're in charge of your recovery, period. Plan to be very proactive with proper recovery procedures and don't be surprised if you don't feel 'recovered' as quickly as you'd like. Remember, this is surgery, it takes time to recover, and recover you will. My husband had the surgery and never looked back. It hurt for awhile, and, just as with any injury, he gradually got better and is now running 7 miles four times a week ( darn him!). Be smart, be strong, be patient!

Pam R, on 4/05/01 at 21:48 (043787)

Jen, I felt like you did before my surgery, now I wonder why, I was so scared. I guess it is just human nature to be afraid of the unknown. I'm 2 weeks post-op and feeling great. I'm totally weight-bearing all day but by evening after dinner, I slow down and sit and maybe ice my foot for a while if I feel any pain. But I'm truly amazed at how quickly I am healing. I know everyone is different and every doctor has a different approach to this surgery--BUT YOU'LL DO GREAT!! Remember we are all just a click away. Soft ((HUGS)) Pam

Susan U on 4/06/01 at 11:21 (043818)

Good luck, Jen. We'll all be thinking of you. I am scheduled for Wed. 4/11 for my foot and knee. My dr. just told me I'll probably be non-weight bearing for 4-5 days, but I can walk on it whenevery I want to. He also said I can remove the bandaging in 48 hours to shower, if I'm up to it and see him in two weeks to have the stitches removed. I can't wait! Keep us informed if you're up to it.

BrianG on 4/06/01 at 21:05 (043885)

Hi Susan,

My doc advised I keep my bandage dry for the 1st week after my surgery. I used the plastic bags that groceries come in. I'd put the first one on, then used masking tape to secure it around my ankle. I'd then put a 2nd bag over the 1st one, and used the masking tape again. I had scissors ready fo cut the tape and bags off after I got dried off.

I think we did it this way because I really impressed upon him that I didn't want any infections. And I didn't get any. I took antibiotics also, good luck.

BCG

ps You might want to keep a pis* pot next to your bed the next morning, as well as a bottle of water and any pain pills you might be prescribed. I was VERY sore that next morning and had to crawl to the bathroom . Of course everyone is different.

Jen on 4/07/01 at 21:37 (043945)

Thank you all for your encouraging words!!! They help so much. Even though surgery is Monday, I find myself becoming more excited than nervous. I can't wait to see if this finally cures my condition and I can have my life back!! I'll talk to you all as soon as I can make it to the computer..
Jen