Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and Flat Feet

Posted by Rick Larsen on 4/06/01 at hrmin (043886)

Hi
I have just been diagnosed with TTS, having been aware of the symptoms for about 6 months.
However, I have had very flat feet since Army service in the 60s.
Is anyone aware,please, of any evidence or opinion that suggests that flat feet can lead to TTS?
With thanks
Rick

Re: TTS and Flat Feet

Julie on 4/07/01 at 02:35 (043892)

Rick, have a look at Wendy's FAQ on this message board. I have a feeling she has something to say about this.

wendyn on 4/07/01 at 10:29 (043915)

In my case this has been what the doctors have told me. They believe that as my arches collapsed they are putting a strain and stretch on the nerves along the inside of my foot and arch. This is causing the TTS symptoms. Are you wearing orthotics?

rick on 4/07/01 at 21:56 (043946)

Hi Wendy
Thanks to Julie and youself for your replies.
Yes, I have orthotics and have had them for years. The current set are only a couple of months old. They help somewhat.
However the longer I am on my feet the greater the pain - which is generalised throughout the structure of my feet.
What has changed these past months is that I now have burning sensations in the soles of my feet all the time - whether walking or at rest. The burning is not painful in itself - just very uncomfortable. I had neurological tests y/day and haven't seen the reports yet, but apparently I have TTS plus some other nerve damage in both feet. An electrical prod into the soles of my feet, which I gather was meant to be painful, caused no pain at all.
I'm 55 and my feet have progressively flattened since I was 21. I wondered whether the 'flatness' may have been responsible for the TTS.
Next 'step' is back to the orthopaedic surgeon to discuss the question of whether or not to operate.
I'm pleased I found this newsgroup and welcome any advice.
With thanks
Rick

wendyn on 4/08/01 at 10:13 (043963)

Rick - I'm glad you had the nerve conduction testing done. If they do find nerve damage you should also be assesed by a neurologist. You're not diabetic are you?

DENNIS B. on 4/08/01 at 16:17 (044008)

I TOO AM TOLD MY TTS IS ATTRIBUTABLE TO MY EXTREMELY FLAT FEET. ORTHOTICS HAVE NOT HELPED ME. I AM OF A COMPARABLE AGE, I AM 50. I HAD TTS SURGERY AND ALSO AN EPIDURAL (THE EPIDURAL WAS AN INJECTION OF CORTISONE IN THE LOWER SPINE)ON FEB. 07 AND AM DEFINITELY NOT BETTER OFF THAN BEFORE. I HAVE VARIOUS POSTS TO THIS MESSAGE BOARD FOR YOUR PERUSAL. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS DUE TO THIS CONDITION. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Julie on 4/07/01 at 02:35 (043892)

Rick, have a look at Wendy's FAQ on this message board. I have a feeling she has something to say about this.

wendyn on 4/07/01 at 10:29 (043915)

In my case this has been what the doctors have told me. They believe that as my arches collapsed they are putting a strain and stretch on the nerves along the inside of my foot and arch. This is causing the TTS symptoms. Are you wearing orthotics?

rick on 4/07/01 at 21:56 (043946)

Hi Wendy
Thanks to Julie and youself for your replies.
Yes, I have orthotics and have had them for years. The current set are only a couple of months old. They help somewhat.
However the longer I am on my feet the greater the pain - which is generalised throughout the structure of my feet.
What has changed these past months is that I now have burning sensations in the soles of my feet all the time - whether walking or at rest. The burning is not painful in itself - just very uncomfortable. I had neurological tests y/day and haven't seen the reports yet, but apparently I have TTS plus some other nerve damage in both feet. An electrical prod into the soles of my feet, which I gather was meant to be painful, caused no pain at all.
I'm 55 and my feet have progressively flattened since I was 21. I wondered whether the 'flatness' may have been responsible for the TTS.
Next 'step' is back to the orthopaedic surgeon to discuss the question of whether or not to operate.
I'm pleased I found this newsgroup and welcome any advice.
With thanks
Rick

wendyn on 4/08/01 at 10:13 (043963)

Rick - I'm glad you had the nerve conduction testing done. If they do find nerve damage you should also be assesed by a neurologist. You're not diabetic are you?

DENNIS B. on 4/08/01 at 16:17 (044008)

I TOO AM TOLD MY TTS IS ATTRIBUTABLE TO MY EXTREMELY FLAT FEET. ORTHOTICS HAVE NOT HELPED ME. I AM OF A COMPARABLE AGE, I AM 50. I HAD TTS SURGERY AND ALSO AN EPIDURAL (THE EPIDURAL WAS AN INJECTION OF CORTISONE IN THE LOWER SPINE)ON FEB. 07 AND AM DEFINITELY NOT BETTER OFF THAN BEFORE. I HAVE VARIOUS POSTS TO THIS MESSAGE BOARD FOR YOUR PERUSAL. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS DUE TO THIS CONDITION. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.