Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question on Birkenstocks

Posted by Donna M. on 4/07/01 at 00:12 (043888)

Hi, everyone! I'm fairly new and I do more reading than posting messages and I sure have gotten help from what I have read!
I need some advice! Several days ago I got in on apparently the end of some messages where some of you were talking about the different kinds of shoes that are best and Birks being #1. What are Betulas and are they as good? I know they are made by Birkenstock, but are they just a style or what?
I am going to go buy some but want to get the ones that are the best for PF. Since I have never had any Birks I need someone to tell me about them!
I will be appreciative of any info you can give me!!
Thanks, Donna M.

Re: Question on Birkenstocks

Nancy N on 4/07/01 at 09:25 (043906)

Donna--

Betulas are a particular style of Birks, yes. There are different 'brands' and the footbed in each is not necessarily the same. There really isn't one particular style that is best for PF--it's more that there may be one particular style that's best for YOUR foot. For instance, Lori E. has said that she can't wear the Betulas because they hurt her feet, but Kay S got a pair and loves them. It's a very personal thing.

If you have a Sam's club membership, you can get the Betulas that they have and try them out at home for a few days with socks. I called the store and they will still take them back if you've cut the little plastic tie-wrap so that you can really try them on. That's what I'm doing. But otherwise, you might be better off going to a store where they can fit you properly for the Birks and you can see which brands feel the best. If you find a brand that you like, you can order them much less expensively off the German birk website (www.birkenstock-cn.com). But if you mail order them, you definitely want to be fitted for them first, because returning them can be a hassle. I believe the footbed is the same on all styles within a particular brand, so if you try a pair of Classics or Tatamis or Betulas, you should be able to safely order a different Tatami style, for example, and be able to wear them.

I'm just starting out with Birks, too, but this is what I've learned so far. I'm sure others will be able to add more info, too.

john h on 4/07/01 at 09:27 (043907)

donna: go to a sam's store as they now carry them for about $36.00.
the Airzona Birk and the Petulla Birk look very much alike to me including the footbed.

Lori E. on 4/07/01 at 12:31 (043920)

I found it to be true that once you find a style, Birks Original, Tatami's or Betula you can order another kind of shoe in that footbed style.
I saw that with the new styles for this spring they have changed the footbed on some of the new Tatamis. You should go and get fitted first, you can also read some info on for birks at the following website http://www.footwise.com/Fittingroom/footbeds.cfm ?
It gives info on arch support and fit. I have found the Tatamis to be helpful, but just make sure the footbed is the same on all styles that you get once you found the right one. Good luck!

Beverly on 4/07/01 at 13:16 (043924)

So far, the classic line has been the only Birk I can wear.
The Arizona is my favorite.
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/07/01 at 09:25 (043906)

Donna--

Betulas are a particular style of Birks, yes. There are different 'brands' and the footbed in each is not necessarily the same. There really isn't one particular style that is best for PF--it's more that there may be one particular style that's best for YOUR foot. For instance, Lori E. has said that she can't wear the Betulas because they hurt her feet, but Kay S got a pair and loves them. It's a very personal thing.

If you have a Sam's club membership, you can get the Betulas that they have and try them out at home for a few days with socks. I called the store and they will still take them back if you've cut the little plastic tie-wrap so that you can really try them on. That's what I'm doing. But otherwise, you might be better off going to a store where they can fit you properly for the Birks and you can see which brands feel the best. If you find a brand that you like, you can order them much less expensively off the German birk website (www.birkenstock-cn.com). But if you mail order them, you definitely want to be fitted for them first, because returning them can be a hassle. I believe the footbed is the same on all styles within a particular brand, so if you try a pair of Classics or Tatamis or Betulas, you should be able to safely order a different Tatami style, for example, and be able to wear them.

I'm just starting out with Birks, too, but this is what I've learned so far. I'm sure others will be able to add more info, too.

john h on 4/07/01 at 09:27 (043907)

donna: go to a sam's store as they now carry them for about $36.00.
the Airzona Birk and the Petulla Birk look very much alike to me including the footbed.

Lori E. on 4/07/01 at 12:31 (043920)

I found it to be true that once you find a style, Birks Original, Tatami's or Betula you can order another kind of shoe in that footbed style.
I saw that with the new styles for this spring they have changed the footbed on some of the new Tatamis. You should go and get fitted first, you can also read some info on for birks at the following website http://www.footwise.com/Fittingroom/footbeds.cfm ?
It gives info on arch support and fit. I have found the Tatamis to be helpful, but just make sure the footbed is the same on all styles that you get once you found the right one. Good luck!

Beverly on 4/07/01 at 13:16 (043924)

So far, the classic line has been the only Birk I can wear.
The Arizona is my favorite.
Beverly