Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Retrocalcaneal Heel Spurs?

Posted by Clark M. on 4/07/01 at hrmin (043921)

I've been in the Army for 11 years now and during this past year I've developed what my Army podiatrist calls retrocalcaneal heel spurs (both feet) from the constant running of 5-7 miles each morning. The pain is excruciating, especially after running even 1 mile. My MRI showed 'major league' (his words) build up in the backs of both my heels. What would be the recommended treatment? He doesn't feel surgery would help much but I'm desperate at this point. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Retrocalcaneal Heel Spurs?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/07/01 at 14:08 (043928)

Hi,

If would great to stop the running. No way I guess. So gel padding could help, vioxx, celebrex. How you read the section on ESWT. We have used ESWT for chronic calcification of the Achilles Tendon. If you would like additional information there is a section on this board, or call my office at 1-856-848-3338

Dr. Z

Re: Retrocalcaneal Heel Spurs?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/07/01 at 14:08 (043928)

Hi,

If would great to stop the running. No way I guess. So gel padding could help, vioxx, celebrex. How you read the section on ESWT. We have used ESWT for chronic calcification of the Achilles Tendon. If you would like additional information there is a section on this board, or call my office at 1-856-848-3338

Dr. Z