Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help Foot and Leg pain

Posted by Carol on 4/07/01 at hrmin (043935)

The top of my foot has been swelling ocasionally off and on for 3 years , pain was in the heel but seemed to progress to the back of my knee. Making it stiff and hard to get out of bed out of a car or up out of a chair. Some spasam pains in groin area upper thigh . I work on my feet on concrete floor Walking seems to ease it after awhile when I sit and try to get up it hurts. I am a 60 year old women. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: PS I also have numb

Carol on 4/07/01 at 19:14 (043937)

I also have the first three toes are numb! I have no other medical problems except hypo Thyroid. Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/01 at 11:05 (043966)

Hi,

This sounds like osteoarthritis in the bones in the top of your foot. What is the condition of your lower back. Have you had any medical evaluation? .

Re: No back problems but

Carol on 4/08/01 at 12:46 (043985)

I have no back problems , but after walking I cannot bend my leg backwards or if I am sitting to bring my leg upto my chest.
At one time I had seen a Rheumatologist, who said that I had connective tissue desease but did not actually specify what . Did thereapy,
napersin,had a tens unit, after about a year thereapy no problem and have not been back. That was about 7 yrs ago. I went because the
foot was swollen and the sed rate was high he said.Do you think this is related? Thank you so much for the reply!!!!! I was 5'10' and recently went for cateracts pre op and they said I was 5'7'and a half also.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/01 at 15:49 (044003)

Hi,

Time for repeat lab testing to see if there are any changes.

Re: what about the possibility of lactic acid build up

Amy on 4/09/01 at 03:23 (044045)

Hi Carol. I too have that same pain in the back of the knee but it's the opposite knee of the foot where I had EPF surgery almost 6 months ago. My massage therapist has been working on it and says it is lactic acid build up from compensating after the surgery or from sitting too long. Do you agree Dr. Z? I, however, do have back troubles (degenerative disc disease at L1 and slight scoliosis). Try stretching and warm baths. THis, plus messages seem to help me. One of these I hope to be pain free. I understand it takes a number of messages to work the lactic acid build up out. Good luck to you! This is very painful.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 09:53 (044071)

I agree that compensation will cause pain and the pain can be from the lactic acid build up

Carol R. on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044104)

I surely want to thank you all for your sincere concern and the response to my messages. Right now the pain and/or stiffness seems to be in the back of my knee and calf of my leg. It doesn't seem to really bother me too much except whn trying to get up, get into a car, or walk a distance which seems to upset me as I cannot walk as fast as I could previously. Right now I am at a standstill as I really do not know what kind of a doctor to see- a rheumatologist or an orthopedic doctor. I am on vacation this week and I surely would like to resolve this problem as the swelling in my foot and pain and stiffness are still there. THANKS AND MORE THANKS!!!

ellen on 4/09/01 at 18:05 (044118)

Sorry to jump in on the doctor's page, but this sounds like a problem I had several years ago when I started an agressive walking program and developed an overuse injury. It started with slight twinges in the back of my knee and then developed into swelling and stiffness across the kneecap. I had difficulty walking and doing activites that required bending the knee -- such as getting down or up off my knees or getting in and out of the bathtub. These activities were also complicated by a chronic problem with a swollen ankle following surgery to correct a fractured ankle.

I saw a sports medicine doctor who prescribed anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. My therapist developed an exercise program to strengthen the muscles that support the knee and also showed me a wrapping procedure called the McConnell wrap, in which you use tape to build a triangular cage around the knee to support it. She also massaged the knee to loosen it up.

Don't want to discourage you, but it took the better part of a year before this healed.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 20:02 (044131)

I just want to make sure that your doctor has ruled or considered a deep thrombus phebitis. Whether there is pain and edema in the calf or at the level of the knee this must be considered and determined if in fact this is the problem . To make sure that this is a soft tissue vs vien clot problem you need to have ultrasound of the area.

Re: Latest occurance!!!

Carol R. on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044633)

Help again please!!!! Went to orthopedic doctor Tuesday--found a good size heel spur and some back problems that may have been eough to cause the swelling and spasms in my legs. He took x-rays of my back and feet, twisted my leg and knee and of cource no pain--just like when you have a toothache and go to the dentist!!!! Went to my Mom's and when getting off of a bus stepped down on one of the steps and Ouch--felt something pull very painfuly in the back of my knee and could not bend my leg backwards---had one heck of a time getting home as I could not bend my leg. Could not even sit on the toilet and very painful tying to sleep. Put on an elastic bandage--somewhat helpful although the pain is subsiding but I still cannot bend my leg upward and toward the back--What did I do now???????Thanks!!

Carol on 4/07/01 at 19:14 (043937)

I also have the first three toes are numb! I have no other medical problems except hypo Thyroid. Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/01 at 11:05 (043966)

Hi,

This sounds like osteoarthritis in the bones in the top of your foot. What is the condition of your lower back. Have you had any medical evaluation? .

Carol on 4/08/01 at 12:46 (043985)

I have no back problems , but after walking I cannot bend my leg backwards or if I am sitting to bring my leg upto my chest.
At one time I had seen a Rheumatologist, who said that I had connective tissue desease but did not actually specify what . Did thereapy,
napersin,had a tens unit, after about a year thereapy no problem and have not been back. That was about 7 yrs ago. I went because the
foot was swollen and the sed rate was high he said.Do you think this is related? Thank you so much for the reply!!!!! I was 5'10' and recently went for cateracts pre op and they said I was 5'7'and a half also.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/01 at 15:49 (044003)

Hi,

Time for repeat lab testing to see if there are any changes.

Amy on 4/09/01 at 03:23 (044045)

Hi Carol. I too have that same pain in the back of the knee but it's the opposite knee of the foot where I had EPF surgery almost 6 months ago. My massage therapist has been working on it and says it is lactic acid build up from compensating after the surgery or from sitting too long. Do you agree Dr. Z? I, however, do have back troubles (degenerative disc disease at L1 and slight scoliosis). Try stretching and warm baths. THis, plus messages seem to help me. One of these I hope to be pain free. I understand it takes a number of messages to work the lactic acid build up out. Good luck to you! This is very painful.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 09:53 (044071)

I agree that compensation will cause pain and the pain can be from the lactic acid build up

Carol R. on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044104)

I surely want to thank you all for your sincere concern and the response to my messages. Right now the pain and/or stiffness seems to be in the back of my knee and calf of my leg. It doesn't seem to really bother me too much except whn trying to get up, get into a car, or walk a distance which seems to upset me as I cannot walk as fast as I could previously. Right now I am at a standstill as I really do not know what kind of a doctor to see- a rheumatologist or an orthopedic doctor. I am on vacation this week and I surely would like to resolve this problem as the swelling in my foot and pain and stiffness are still there. THANKS AND MORE THANKS!!!

ellen on 4/09/01 at 18:05 (044118)

Sorry to jump in on the doctor's page, but this sounds like a problem I had several years ago when I started an agressive walking program and developed an overuse injury. It started with slight twinges in the back of my knee and then developed into swelling and stiffness across the kneecap. I had difficulty walking and doing activites that required bending the knee -- such as getting down or up off my knees or getting in and out of the bathtub. These activities were also complicated by a chronic problem with a swollen ankle following surgery to correct a fractured ankle.

I saw a sports medicine doctor who prescribed anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. My therapist developed an exercise program to strengthen the muscles that support the knee and also showed me a wrapping procedure called the McConnell wrap, in which you use tape to build a triangular cage around the knee to support it. She also massaged the knee to loosen it up.

Don't want to discourage you, but it took the better part of a year before this healed.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 20:02 (044131)

I just want to make sure that your doctor has ruled or considered a deep thrombus phebitis. Whether there is pain and edema in the calf or at the level of the knee this must be considered and determined if in fact this is the problem . To make sure that this is a soft tissue vs vien clot problem you need to have ultrasound of the area.

Re: Latest occurance!!!

Carol R. on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044633)

Help again please!!!! Went to orthopedic doctor Tuesday--found a good size heel spur and some back problems that may have been eough to cause the swelling and spasms in my legs. He took x-rays of my back and feet, twisted my leg and knee and of cource no pain--just like when you have a toothache and go to the dentist!!!! Went to my Mom's and when getting off of a bus stepped down on one of the steps and Ouch--felt something pull very painfuly in the back of my knee and could not bend my leg backwards---had one heck of a time getting home as I could not bend my leg. Could not even sit on the toilet and very painful tying to sleep. Put on an elastic bandage--somewhat helpful although the pain is subsiding but I still cannot bend my leg upward and toward the back--What did I do now???????Thanks!!