Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock's German Site

Posted by Donna M. on 4/07/01 at 20:09 (043940)

Hi again! I appreciate the help on the Birks!! But I have a couple more questions!
I went to the German site for the Birks, but how do you know how much they are?? One pair has like 50,75 beside it. What does that mean?
I sent an email and asked how to tell the price, but I haven't gotten a response!
I did go and get fitted today so I at least know which kind I like and which feels good!! Thanks for your help!
Donna

Re: Birkenstock's German Site

Lori E. on 4/07/01 at 20:46 (043941)

Donna,
The prices are in euros that price is 50,70 euro. The exchange rate can be found in your local paper or on the internet. You can go to a travel site like expedia.com or somewhere like IWON.com in their travel section to get the conversion/exchange rate. Generally the euro is worth about the same as a dollar, but check the exchange rate to be sure.
As far as response time, they have been having e-mail trouble lately and it takes a few days to get an answer from them.
Also when you order them it might be worth it to you to pay the extra money for air mail shipping. That way you get them in about 2-3 weeks. Otherwise they ship it by boat and it take a couple months for you to get your shoes. Good luck!

Bill E on 4/07/01 at 21:06 (043944)

I ordered a pair and the Euro was slightly less than a dollar so 50 Eu was probably something like $47 or so. The shipping is well worth it. I received mine in about a week. Maybe I was lucky but...

Essentially the prices are close to half of the US price.

Re: exchange rate

Lori E. on 4/07/01 at 22:11 (043947)

I just checked and $1 =.90 right now. It changes daily, so it could effect the exact amount,but like I said it is generally pretty close to $1.

Valerie S on 4/08/01 at 07:58 (043958)

Hi.

There is a link on the German Birkenstock webpage that leads you to a currency converter. I assume that this is the exchange rate that they use. I think it varies by which bank you are exchanging with too. It explains it there at the website, and it seems to be the same sort of ratio that I got at a 2nd exchange rate website. The US Dollar is worth a few cents more than the Euro.

Take it easy.
Val.

Re: Re:Bill-- Error message at German site

Donna M. on 4/08/01 at 19:12 (044019)

Bill,
You said you ordered from the German site. Everytime that I have tried to place an order, I have an error message that pops up. It says something about 'VShop Runtime Error, Parameter1 must be STRING'. Do you have any idea what that means? Thanks, Donna

Nancy N on 4/08/01 at 19:33 (044024)

Donna--

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I do know that you need to use IE for their site rather than Netscape. There's apparently some sort of bug in their site if you use Netscape. Try it with IE and see i f you have the same problem, or maybe someone else will have more info for you.

Bill E. on 4/10/01 at 10:10 (044166)

Sorry!! I ordered a couple of months ago and I can't remember exactly what I did. I had no trouble though, I would remember that. Since I use both browsers I suspect that I saw their message and used IE as Nancy suggested. I do know that there are times when I cannot connect to their site. But when I did, it worked!

Good luck!
Bill

kcowden on 4/10/01 at 14:44 (044182)

queston on the Birks - do these help (or not aggravate) plantar fasciitis? I heard that and now have a better reason to invest in some (granted, they're cool looking and all, but I've always been too cheap). And, can you convince me to buy the real things and not some copy? thanks for any input.

kcowden on 4/10/01 at 14:47 (044184)

ok - i just scrolled down and found some folks talking about this very thing. But let me know if there's anymore you have to offer. thanks.

Nancy N on 4/10/01 at 15:59 (044193)

I got a pair of the LLBean copies about two years ago. They are definitely not the same thing. They'll fall apart a lot sooner, for one thing. The footbed is also not the same. The price was nice, and they lasted for about 2 months before the soles started to fall apart. I'm told (and can believe, seeing the difference between the soles on the LLBeans and a real Birk sole) that this will not happen with the real ones.

Re: Re:Got through to Birkenstock!!

Donna M. on 4/12/01 at 00:37 (044320)

Thanks for all the help everyone! By the way I do use IE, but it was a problem with the Birk site and a particular shoe and not me! I've got 2 pair on the way for less than $93! Just one pair I looked at in town and got fitted with was $95~~so I feel like I did great!!

kcowden, from what I have seen on here and from what several shoe sales people have told me, Birkenstocks are the only way to go!! I never thought I would be caught in a pair, but low and behold I have bought two pair and fixing to order another!!
One salesman told me about why the heel on the shoe is shaped like a cup. He said if you look at a child's foot, the heel on bottom is rounded. As we grow older it gets flat. Birkenstocks reshape the bottom of your heel which adds more padding and cushions your heel like it used to. He also told how your toes and feet get exercise when you walk in them because of the way they are made.
This is just a couple of the things he told me, and added to what I had read and heard before, I was sold!!
I have tried everything but surgery and ESWT, and I figured I'd give these a shot before I go the other route.!!
Just go to http://www.birkenstock-cn.com , and see for yourself!! I saw one pair that were less than $27.

Donna M.

kcowden on 4/24/01 at 10:56 (045560)

Hi. I finally got some. the traditional kind ($95, so no bargain). But, my heel's been hurting worse. I've also been sleeping in the night splint, so I'm laying off both for a week, then going to go back to one slowly and figure it out. Maybe the birks needed some breaking in. hopefully, b/c I'm starting to like them. then I'll go for the online places. I haven't tried that ESWT either. my doctor said I wasn't eligible until 6 months of the prescribed therapy (stretches, orthotics, etc.) w/ no success. so we'll see.

Lori E. on 4/07/01 at 20:46 (043941)

Donna,
The prices are in euros that price is 50,70 euro. The exchange rate can be found in your local paper or on the internet. You can go to a travel site like expedia.com or somewhere like IWON.com in their travel section to get the conversion/exchange rate. Generally the euro is worth about the same as a dollar, but check the exchange rate to be sure.
As far as response time, they have been having e-mail trouble lately and it takes a few days to get an answer from them.
Also when you order them it might be worth it to you to pay the extra money for air mail shipping. That way you get them in about 2-3 weeks. Otherwise they ship it by boat and it take a couple months for you to get your shoes. Good luck!

Bill E on 4/07/01 at 21:06 (043944)

I ordered a pair and the Euro was slightly less than a dollar so 50 Eu was probably something like $47 or so. The shipping is well worth it. I received mine in about a week. Maybe I was lucky but...

Essentially the prices are close to half of the US price.

Lori E. on 4/07/01 at 22:11 (043947)

I just checked and $1 =.90 right now. It changes daily, so it could effect the exact amount,but like I said it is generally pretty close to $1.

Valerie S on 4/08/01 at 07:58 (043958)

Hi.

There is a link on the German Birkenstock webpage that leads you to a currency converter. I assume that this is the exchange rate that they use. I think it varies by which bank you are exchanging with too. It explains it there at the website, and it seems to be the same sort of ratio that I got at a 2nd exchange rate website. The US Dollar is worth a few cents more than the Euro.

Take it easy.
Val.

Donna M. on 4/08/01 at 19:12 (044019)

Bill,
You said you ordered from the German site. Everytime that I have tried to place an order, I have an error message that pops up. It says something about 'VShop Runtime Error, Parameter1 must be STRING'. Do you have any idea what that means? Thanks, Donna

Nancy N on 4/08/01 at 19:33 (044024)

Donna--

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I do know that you need to use IE for their site rather than Netscape. There's apparently some sort of bug in their site if you use Netscape. Try it with IE and see i f you have the same problem, or maybe someone else will have more info for you.

Bill E. on 4/10/01 at 10:10 (044166)

Sorry!! I ordered a couple of months ago and I can't remember exactly what I did. I had no trouble though, I would remember that. Since I use both browsers I suspect that I saw their message and used IE as Nancy suggested. I do know that there are times when I cannot connect to their site. But when I did, it worked!

Good luck!
Bill

kcowden on 4/10/01 at 14:44 (044182)

queston on the Birks - do these help (or not aggravate) plantar fasciitis? I heard that and now have a better reason to invest in some (granted, they're cool looking and all, but I've always been too cheap). And, can you convince me to buy the real things and not some copy? thanks for any input.

kcowden on 4/10/01 at 14:47 (044184)

ok - i just scrolled down and found some folks talking about this very thing. But let me know if there's anymore you have to offer. thanks.

Nancy N on 4/10/01 at 15:59 (044193)

I got a pair of the LLBean copies about two years ago. They are definitely not the same thing. They'll fall apart a lot sooner, for one thing. The footbed is also not the same. The price was nice, and they lasted for about 2 months before the soles started to fall apart. I'm told (and can believe, seeing the difference between the soles on the LLBeans and a real Birk sole) that this will not happen with the real ones.

Donna M. on 4/12/01 at 00:37 (044320)

Thanks for all the help everyone! By the way I do use IE, but it was a problem with the Birk site and a particular shoe and not me! I've got 2 pair on the way for less than $93! Just one pair I looked at in town and got fitted with was $95~~so I feel like I did great!!

kcowden, from what I have seen on here and from what several shoe sales people have told me, Birkenstocks are the only way to go!! I never thought I would be caught in a pair, but low and behold I have bought two pair and fixing to order another!!
One salesman told me about why the heel on the shoe is shaped like a cup. He said if you look at a child's foot, the heel on bottom is rounded. As we grow older it gets flat. Birkenstocks reshape the bottom of your heel which adds more padding and cushions your heel like it used to. He also told how your toes and feet get exercise when you walk in them because of the way they are made.
This is just a couple of the things he told me, and added to what I had read and heard before, I was sold!!
I have tried everything but surgery and ESWT, and I figured I'd give these a shot before I go the other route.!!
Just go to http://www.birkenstock-cn.com , and see for yourself!! I saw one pair that were less than $27.

Donna M.

kcowden on 4/24/01 at 10:56 (045560)

Hi. I finally got some. the traditional kind ($95, so no bargain). But, my heel's been hurting worse. I've also been sleeping in the night splint, so I'm laying off both for a week, then going to go back to one slowly and figure it out. Maybe the birks needed some breaking in. hopefully, b/c I'm starting to like them. then I'll go for the online places. I haven't tried that ESWT either. my doctor said I wasn't eligible until 6 months of the prescribed therapy (stretches, orthotics, etc.) w/ no success. so we'll see.