Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Strange Foot Problem

Posted by Ken F on 4/08/01 at hrmin (044023)

Last year I had Achilles tendinitis and underwent treatments. I also had some heel pain.

I'm 44 and play softball in the summer.

After the treatments I felt good, but my heel still had some pain. I was playing some catch in the late fall and felt a sensation in the bottom of my foot. It wasn't pain, but almost like tension was released. It almost felt good. A warm feeling. I didn't think to much of it.

After that, when I take off my shoes, my second and third toes start to flex on their own. It seems the tendon between my toes and my heel on the bottom of my foot is having some type of contraction. It stops after I go to bed and sleep, but if I get up in the morning and walk around for a bit and lie on the couch with my foot pointing up, it starts again. When I wear shoes it doesn't do anything.

Did I tear something, or is this part of a Plantar heel problem that needs treatment.

Thanks for your Time,
Ken

Re: What could it be?

Laurie H. on 4/08/01 at 10:46 (043965)

Thank you for your response. You asked me when the surgery was on my feet. My left foot was in August, 2000 and my right foot was in Sept 2000. I've been through physical therapy for both feet but haven't seen much improvement. My right foot is worse than my left. Is it possible that I need EPF on my right foot again and the first operation just didn't work.

I would appreciate what your opinion is. Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/01 at 11:07 (043969)

Hi,

Did you have the classic pain with first step in the morning when you first get up?. Have you looked into ESWT? . This is something I will look into before any additional surgical cutting of the plantar fascia.

We have been using ESWT for failed EPF surgyery with some good pain relief. It is one of the indications especially after failed foot surgery.

Laurie H. on 4/08/01 at 23:40 (044042)

Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have that good old classic pain in the morning each and everyday and also during the day when I get up from my desk at work and start walking after resting. If I've been standing for awhile, it starts getting very painful and I have to go sit down.

I have heard of ESWT but do not know that much about it. Is there a website I can go to to find out more about it. I'm not sure if my doctor uses that procedure. I will ask though.

Thanks!

Julie on 4/09/01 at 04:15 (044051)

Laurie, there is loads of information about ESWT on this website. Go to the home page and click on ESWT. There is also the ESWT message board.

Re: Strange Foot Problem

Dr. Biehler on 4/09/01 at 09:31 (044064)

Sound like somthing was torn and the contractures are the bodies way of protectiong itself. This should be examined.
Dr. B.

Re: What could it Be

Ken F on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044192)

Any ideas as to what it could be and what treatments may be needed. There is really no pain, it is just a bit sore at the end of the day.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 19:23 (044206)

There is some minor tendonitis of the flexor tendons that go to your toes.

Don't walk without shoes or over stretch the foot. This could take up to six weeks to calm down the important part is to wear shoes even in the am and around the house. The shoes are your splints and they are preventing the flexor( tendons that stretch when you walk and bend your toes) from over working.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/11/01 at 13:39 (044265)

I don't agree with the statement that contractures are the body's way of protecting itself. Contractures can occur for dozens of reasons and protection is rarely the reason. Often patients may 'splint' an area that is in pain to prevent pain or to compensate for pain. But contractures can occur as a result of injury, muscle/tendon tear, neurological disease (which I'm sure has no relevance in your case), spasm and a host of other causes.

I strongly feel that rather than trying to get a diagnosis without myself or the other doctors seeing your foot, you should seek the advice of a doctor that can give you a thorough exam and evaluation. Otherwise you are doing yourself a diservice.

Laurie H. on 4/08/01 at 10:46 (043965)

Thank you for your response. You asked me when the surgery was on my feet. My left foot was in August, 2000 and my right foot was in Sept 2000. I've been through physical therapy for both feet but haven't seen much improvement. My right foot is worse than my left. Is it possible that I need EPF on my right foot again and the first operation just didn't work.

I would appreciate what your opinion is. Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/08/01 at 11:07 (043969)

Hi,

Did you have the classic pain with first step in the morning when you first get up?. Have you looked into ESWT? . This is something I will look into before any additional surgical cutting of the plantar fascia.

We have been using ESWT for failed EPF surgyery with some good pain relief. It is one of the indications especially after failed foot surgery.

Laurie H. on 4/08/01 at 23:40 (044042)

Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have that good old classic pain in the morning each and everyday and also during the day when I get up from my desk at work and start walking after resting. If I've been standing for awhile, it starts getting very painful and I have to go sit down.

I have heard of ESWT but do not know that much about it. Is there a website I can go to to find out more about it. I'm not sure if my doctor uses that procedure. I will ask though.

Thanks!

Julie on 4/09/01 at 04:15 (044051)

Laurie, there is loads of information about ESWT on this website. Go to the home page and click on ESWT. There is also the ESWT message board.

Dr. Biehler on 4/09/01 at 09:31 (044064)

Sound like somthing was torn and the contractures are the bodies way of protectiong itself. This should be examined.
Dr. B.

Re: What could it Be

Ken F on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044192)

Any ideas as to what it could be and what treatments may be needed. There is really no pain, it is just a bit sore at the end of the day.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 19:23 (044206)

There is some minor tendonitis of the flexor tendons that go to your toes.

Don't walk without shoes or over stretch the foot. This could take up to six weeks to calm down the important part is to wear shoes even in the am and around the house. The shoes are your splints and they are preventing the flexor( tendons that stretch when you walk and bend your toes) from over working.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/11/01 at 13:39 (044265)

I don't agree with the statement that contractures are the body's way of protecting itself. Contractures can occur for dozens of reasons and protection is rarely the reason. Often patients may 'splint' an area that is in pain to prevent pain or to compensate for pain. But contractures can occur as a result of injury, muscle/tendon tear, neurological disease (which I'm sure has no relevance in your case), spasm and a host of other causes.

I strongly feel that rather than trying to get a diagnosis without myself or the other doctors seeing your foot, you should seek the advice of a doctor that can give you a thorough exam and evaluation. Otherwise you are doing yourself a diservice.