Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What would an MRI of the ankle show?

Posted by Amy on 4/09/01 at 03:46 (044047)

Hi Dr. Z. Just curious as to what an MRI of the ankle would show. I had EPF surgery almos 6 mths. ago and about a month after the surgery my ankle started to bother me. I have an ankle spur and have had a 2nd opinion that this is not the cause of my pain but if still experiencing pain, which I occasionally do - don't know what triggers it, then I would need an MRI to see what's going on with the inside of the ankle. DOn't think I'll need this - the ankle is getting less and less painful - just curious as to what an MRI will show. Thanks.

Re: What would an MRI of the ankle show?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 09:48 (044069)

Hi,

You are looking for the following things.

1. damage to the joint surface
This would cause pain inside the ankle and cause decrease motion in the ankle joint

2. Any tear or changes in the ligaments and tendons that support the ankle and the tendons that cause the foot and ankle to move when you walk.

3. Any degenerative changes in the ankle bones which is called arthritis.

3. Fluid in the tendons and or joint which would confirm inflamation.

The most important aspect to look for is the joint surface and the tendons and ligaments that support and allow the joint to function.

Re: What would an MRI of the ankle show?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 09:48 (044069)

Hi,

You are looking for the following things.

1. damage to the joint surface
This would cause pain inside the ankle and cause decrease motion in the ankle joint

2. Any tear or changes in the ligaments and tendons that support the ankle and the tendons that cause the foot and ankle to move when you walk.

3. Any degenerative changes in the ankle bones which is called arthritis.

3. Fluid in the tendons and or joint which would confirm inflamation.

The most important aspect to look for is the joint surface and the tendons and ligaments that support and allow the joint to function.