Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot mecahnics after EPF

Posted by Eric on 4/09/01 at 03:57 (044048)

I've been told by my doctor that the whole mechanics of the foot changes after epf surgery. I had this surgery performed six months ago now and am still having trouble putting weight on the bad heel, especially when I go to push my shoes off from a standing position or stand on one leg in the shower to wash the 'good foot'. I know I probably shouldn't be taking my shoes off in this manner or putting all the weight on this one foot, but I've always done it this way. Now it feels like there is not enough padding in the 'bad heel' to support my weight. What does it mean when the mechanics of the foot are changed after epf surgery?

Re: Foot mecahnics after EPF

marilyn on 4/09/01 at 06:58 (044052)

wow...i like this question! and what of the altered mechanics of the foot after a bunionectomy? i swear my 'good' foot is now trying just as hard as the 'bad' foot to learn to walk a new way. this is very painful on a daily basis. is it going to change?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 09:43 (044068)

Hi,

Most of the altered foot function changes cause pain on the outside of the foot, near the bone called the cuboid. You can also get pain in the ankle.
You can get pain across the top of the foot. Now some could be from compensation from the pain. The area that is changed usually causes pain on the outside of the foot. Your pain could be on the outside of the foot or the lateral band of the plantar fascia. There are three bands, medial, center, and lateral band. The pf release is usually the medial band that is cut. Then there is the very slight chance of a collapsed arch due to the lack of support in that area due to no funciton of the shock absorption function of the cutted pf medial band. I have also seen stress fracture of the metatarsal bones and or the cuboid bone and the bones that make up the central arch across the top of the foot.

marilyn on 4/09/01 at 06:58 (044052)

wow...i like this question! and what of the altered mechanics of the foot after a bunionectomy? i swear my 'good' foot is now trying just as hard as the 'bad' foot to learn to walk a new way. this is very painful on a daily basis. is it going to change?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 09:43 (044068)

Hi,

Most of the altered foot function changes cause pain on the outside of the foot, near the bone called the cuboid. You can also get pain in the ankle.
You can get pain across the top of the foot. Now some could be from compensation from the pain. The area that is changed usually causes pain on the outside of the foot. Your pain could be on the outside of the foot or the lateral band of the plantar fascia. There are three bands, medial, center, and lateral band. The pf release is usually the medial band that is cut. Then there is the very slight chance of a collapsed arch due to the lack of support in that area due to no funciton of the shock absorption function of the cutted pf medial band. I have also seen stress fracture of the metatarsal bones and or the cuboid bone and the bones that make up the central arch across the top of the foot.