Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OssaTron

Posted by john h on 4/09/01 at 09:55 (044072)

In reviewing the Healthtronics list of Doctors performing ESWT OssaTon treatments there appears to be at least 10 times more DPM's using the device than MD's. This supprised me! What are your thoughts on this Dr. Z. The people using them seemed to be in pockets such as Houston,St Louis,San Antonio where there were a large number of machines and yet in cities like Memphis and New York there were either few or none.

Re: OssaTron

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 11:26 (044087)

Hi John,

Not surprised to find areas where there are Healthsouth Surgical Center Locations and ossatrons being placed there. I believe that Healthsouth owes 30% of Healthronics. I just arranged for the ossatron to come to Healthsouth in my area. I will in the near future be able to have two types of ESWT machines, one in the office the orbasone and one in the surgical center called the Ossatron.

I always like driving two types of cars so I guess that I will have two types of ESWT machines.

I always believed that podiatrists would be the users of any ESWT for heel pain, when the ESWT FDA approvals come in for other soft tissue conditions such as the elbow , shoulder, or knee you will find that there will be an increase in orthopedic surgeons etc.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/10/01 at 23:25 (044229)

John,

Healthtronics has really only been marketing to DPMs as they feel DPMs see the bulk of PF. Once the approval for tennis elbow is obtained, they will expand their market.

Regarding Healthsouth, I haven't heard of the buy out, just that an agreement was made to have the machines in the healthsouth facilities. The 30% figure may be the deal HT cut with HS for the reimbursement they receive for the machine.

Pauline on 4/13/01 at 22:34 (044517)

John,
Some of the Big Medical Centers seem to be waiting for Dornier's Epos Ultra. Massachusetts General, Emory Section or Orthopedics, Henry Ford Health System. Fowler Kennedy, U of M Medical Center, John Hopkins.
Not just your run of the mill places. Looks like Dornier has a following too.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 10:56 (044572)

These are the center that are being paid to do the studies. Big companies can pay for big money for big names so that they can market their machines at a higher price.

We have already been down this road with renal ESWT lithotripsy.Why do we need to repeat the high cost phase with orthopedic ESWT.

Pauline on 4/14/01 at 16:11 (044613)

Dr. Z,
I understand your views and the points you make but there is the possibility that these big companies will get insurance companies to pay
for ESWT. They may carry the clout so their patients get the coverage
needed. No one knows the total future for ESWT the best we can do is speculate. I think the answer to your question about repeating the high cost phase with orthopedic ESWT is best answered by these big centers.
They might say ' That's just the way it's done'. You don't have to like it, you can't change it, you just accept it. Acceptance is part of life itself.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 16:51 (044617)

I know that Dr. Z can't change this but the public sure can have a say. They are the market. Remember the Boston Tea Party. When you pay for something you have the right to have a say in th process. This is the American way .

As I have stated before whether ESWT is in the office or in the hospital, the machine is alot of money etc, this won't have an effect on Dr. Z. In fact when I look at the ossatron program it is better for Dr. Z to just go along with the game and treat patients in the ASC, no overhead, no repair cost, and the marketing is done by the big companies. The patient is going to pick up this cost, not Dr. Z

When and if this happens there will be no Blue light Specials, no lotto, ( won't be allow to do this without permission from my corporate partners).

So just like manage care has created the lack of personal interaction so could happen with corporate own ESWT relationships.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 11:26 (044087)

Hi John,

Not surprised to find areas where there are Healthsouth Surgical Center Locations and ossatrons being placed there. I believe that Healthsouth owes 30% of Healthronics. I just arranged for the ossatron to come to Healthsouth in my area. I will in the near future be able to have two types of ESWT machines, one in the office the orbasone and one in the surgical center called the Ossatron.

I always like driving two types of cars so I guess that I will have two types of ESWT machines.

I always believed that podiatrists would be the users of any ESWT for heel pain, when the ESWT FDA approvals come in for other soft tissue conditions such as the elbow , shoulder, or knee you will find that there will be an increase in orthopedic surgeons etc.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/10/01 at 23:25 (044229)

John,

Healthtronics has really only been marketing to DPMs as they feel DPMs see the bulk of PF. Once the approval for tennis elbow is obtained, they will expand their market.

Regarding Healthsouth, I haven't heard of the buy out, just that an agreement was made to have the machines in the healthsouth facilities. The 30% figure may be the deal HT cut with HS for the reimbursement they receive for the machine.

Pauline on 4/13/01 at 22:34 (044517)

John,
Some of the Big Medical Centers seem to be waiting for Dornier's Epos Ultra. Massachusetts General, Emory Section or Orthopedics, Henry Ford Health System. Fowler Kennedy, U of M Medical Center, John Hopkins.
Not just your run of the mill places. Looks like Dornier has a following too.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 10:56 (044572)

These are the center that are being paid to do the studies. Big companies can pay for big money for big names so that they can market their machines at a higher price.

We have already been down this road with renal ESWT lithotripsy.Why do we need to repeat the high cost phase with orthopedic ESWT.

Pauline on 4/14/01 at 16:11 (044613)

Dr. Z,
I understand your views and the points you make but there is the possibility that these big companies will get insurance companies to pay
for ESWT. They may carry the clout so their patients get the coverage
needed. No one knows the total future for ESWT the best we can do is speculate. I think the answer to your question about repeating the high cost phase with orthopedic ESWT is best answered by these big centers.
They might say ' That's just the way it's done'. You don't have to like it, you can't change it, you just accept it. Acceptance is part of life itself.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 16:51 (044617)

I know that Dr. Z can't change this but the public sure can have a say. They are the market. Remember the Boston Tea Party. When you pay for something you have the right to have a say in th process. This is the American way .

As I have stated before whether ESWT is in the office or in the hospital, the machine is alot of money etc, this won't have an effect on Dr. Z. In fact when I look at the ossatron program it is better for Dr. Z to just go along with the game and treat patients in the ASC, no overhead, no repair cost, and the marketing is done by the big companies. The patient is going to pick up this cost, not Dr. Z

When and if this happens there will be no Blue light Specials, no lotto, ( won't be allow to do this without permission from my corporate partners).

So just like manage care has created the lack of personal interaction so could happen with corporate own ESWT relationships.