Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOOT SURGERY

Posted by D.L. RODGICK on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044100)

I am having surgery for a torn tendon in my right ankle. I am concerned about driving to work after the surgery as they told me I would have a cast on. Can a person drive with a cast or will it cause damage to the foot? Is there some type of cast I can request that will enable me to use it driving? Thanks

Re: FOOT SURGERY

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 14:24 (044101)

Which tendon are you having repaired. Most tendon repairs will require a non- weight bearing cast. ( no walking. ). So give me additional information.

dlrodgick on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044102)

I believe it is called a posterior tendon

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 17:04 (044110)

hi,

So you will be non-weight bearing. The ankle won't bend . Could be very hard to drive, still could be done if your are in no pain and it is not right away. Must give it a week or two

wendyn on 4/09/01 at 17:37 (044114)

I don't think you can drive with a cast - you won't be able to feel the pedal. You may want to try driving with your other foot. Try it BEFORE you get the cast to make sure you can do it! It can be done but it takes some getting used to. Not an option if you drive a standard.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/11/01 at 13:30 (044263)

I would strongly advise that you do not drive with a cast on your foot. There are many reasons, and your safety, the safety of the passengers in your car and the safety of others should be all the reason you need. It is not safe or smart to drive a car with a rigid cast that does not allow your ankle to bend and does not allow you to accurately feel the pedals in the care. Of course there are medical reasons, but to me, safety would certainly outweigh any medical complications. I think that to drive with a cast or have anyone recommend that you drive with a cast would be very irresponsible.

Sonja on 4/11/01 at 23:47 (044319)

I have to agree that it is UNSAFE to drive with a cast. I have had 5 in the past year and it is a pain but it is not worth the risk. I even heard that your car insurance could be null and void if you were in a accident while in a cast.Dont know that for a fact though. I will tell you I did try driving and you can easily get your foot caught. It was scary. SO please find an alternative.

Laurie R on 4/12/01 at 01:26 (044322)

I have to agree with Sonja and the doctor. I have had about 5 casts also in the past year. I do have to tell you though ,I have a 5 speed and it was really hard to drive ,but I barrowed my mom car cause I had to take my kids to school. An uto is better if you really have to drive ,but it is not a good idea ,your foot does slip .....Laurie R

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 14:24 (044101)

Which tendon are you having repaired. Most tendon repairs will require a non- weight bearing cast. ( no walking. ). So give me additional information.

dlrodgick on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044102)

I believe it is called a posterior tendon

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 17:04 (044110)

hi,

So you will be non-weight bearing. The ankle won't bend . Could be very hard to drive, still could be done if your are in no pain and it is not right away. Must give it a week or two

wendyn on 4/09/01 at 17:37 (044114)

I don't think you can drive with a cast - you won't be able to feel the pedal. You may want to try driving with your other foot. Try it BEFORE you get the cast to make sure you can do it! It can be done but it takes some getting used to. Not an option if you drive a standard.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/11/01 at 13:30 (044263)

I would strongly advise that you do not drive with a cast on your foot. There are many reasons, and your safety, the safety of the passengers in your car and the safety of others should be all the reason you need. It is not safe or smart to drive a car with a rigid cast that does not allow your ankle to bend and does not allow you to accurately feel the pedals in the care. Of course there are medical reasons, but to me, safety would certainly outweigh any medical complications. I think that to drive with a cast or have anyone recommend that you drive with a cast would be very irresponsible.

Sonja on 4/11/01 at 23:47 (044319)

I have to agree that it is UNSAFE to drive with a cast. I have had 5 in the past year and it is a pain but it is not worth the risk. I even heard that your car insurance could be null and void if you were in a accident while in a cast.Dont know that for a fact though. I will tell you I did try driving and you can easily get your foot caught. It was scary. SO please find an alternative.

Laurie R on 4/12/01 at 01:26 (044322)

I have to agree with Sonja and the doctor. I have had about 5 casts also in the past year. I do have to tell you though ,I have a 5 speed and it was really hard to drive ,but I barrowed my mom car cause I had to take my kids to school. An uto is better if you really have to drive ,but it is not a good idea ,your foot does slip .....Laurie R