Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have done 2 cortisone now

Posted by Tammie on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044113)

Hi,
I got the second cortisone shot in two weeks apart Fri, And was very hopeful for it to work,Well it did not in fact it lasted for a few hours and the next morning the darn grim weeper(me lol) returned as I touched my foot to the floor. I am very disappointed. I have now tryed thereapy,cortisone still waiting for orthodics and no relief. My Dr. has discussed all options and as he sees we are about out of them. He also thinks that there is secondary nerve( he explained it like carpal tunnel) My whole foot is sore now not just the heel area. They are scheduling surgery most likely next Tues. I am frightened, as I have heard so may horror stories. I dont know if it is the best thing or not but I guess I have had three opions and I kinda like this Dr. but worried about the whole thing. He said short operation he said I will sleep and wake up shortly and have some sort of cast on and crutches,and will be able to wear jogging shoes in about 10 days. What after that ? I am not sure he said about 70% first month ,80% second month and then better and betterproviding I have no other problems going on. I know some may think I am doing the wrong thing,I myself am not sure but I need to have this relieved or at least take a chance on it as I want to get back to my life and after all no surgery is a guarantee,that are risks with all surgeries. I hope my friends will understand our decision and will support me with it and maybe help me and tell me what I might expect.I have a host of reasons of why I am doing this and well you all have tried very hard to guide me and give me information and I do want to thank you all for being here!!!! ThankYou bunches!!!!!!!! Hugs to all of you Tammy

Re: I have done 2 cortisone now

Barbara O on 4/10/01 at 01:52 (044151)

Im ashamed at being so nervous about an injection when you are going for an operation. Good Luck with it !!!Barbara O (England)

Nancy N on 4/10/01 at 09:28 (044161)

Tammie--

What all have you tried so far? Do you know if you're a candidate for ESWT? There's not a chance that I'd even begin to consider surgery without trying ESWT first, no matter how much faith I had in my doctor. ESWT is non-invasive and doesn't pose the risks that surgery does, and is at least as effective as surgery. You also don't have the recovery time you would have with surgery.

Please please please consider the ESWT before just jumping into surgery. I've heard too many horror stories about people who didn't, and lived to regret it. You could end up worse than you were before the surgery. If the cortisone helped at all, there's a good chance that the ESWT might help you. Please look into it...we don't want to you to become a statistic!!

Re: cortisone not fun buttt if it works great/And a message to all that may not agree with my decision

Tammie on 4/10/01 at 15:38 (044190)

Hi first to u Barb, Dont fear the cortisone if u have a good Dr. I was terrified it was not as bad as I was led to believe although I wouldnt want to often lol. I had the second on Fri and although it was a bit worse then the first I would have tried anything to get rid of this problem and the pain so I could walk normal again without the surgery.

Hi Nancy,
I do appreciate your concern, and I have told my story before and I have tried allot of suggestions here and with the Dr., I really tried it is a very hard decision to make as any elective surgery must be, a emergency surgery u know has to be done , elective there is always a question. I have asked about this ESWT, it is not available to me as it is not approved my our insurance yet as still to new. The dr. I see does not have it. I am not against this type of help but it will not be for me. I and my Dr. and my husband have discussed what my options are left we all have decided that this is what i have left as we have tried all the conservitive treatments remember he is my second and third Dr. I have seen not my first I like him and respect him and his opions , he has not foced me to do anything, I am very nervous about this surgery as I am really afraid as i have been a very healthy person all of my life I have had 3 c-sections and 1 d&c and that is about it for surgeries. It has been hard for me as I have always been the healthy one and this seems to have lingered for much to long. Regardless of what people might or might not think of me the decision is made and I am starting to accept this, and hope that people or at least my friends here will care enough about me to help me through this as I would respect there decision also. This si a very good site and I do not want to ever say anything bad about it or any person, as I am not mean , but one thing I have noticed is that if a person decides to do something that doesnt agree with the majority they are stoned or made to feel they are wrong please dont do that as we want to be included , and we need support also we may have to deal with a poor outcome but maybe it will be a good outcome and that is what we all really want! I am not God and dont know what is meant for me but I am in his hands and what ever is meant to happen will be, so please say a little prayer for me and I will return that with prayers for all of the people here and everywhere who are suffering and in pain! I want to thank you all again this is a good place to come but you must have a open mind to remain here! Thanks Tammie

Re: cortisone not fun buttt if it works great/And a message to all that may not agree with my decision

Barbara O on 4/11/01 at 01:53 (044234)

Lots of respect for your decision from here in England. I would do anything rather than surgery. Great minds think alike, Good Luck

Re: Do what is right for you, Tammie

BrianG on 4/11/01 at 10:04 (044249)

I'm with you on this one Tammie. Not everyone has the luxery of trying ESWT before having surgery. In the future, the insurance companies may change their way of thinking. Until they do, we will all have difficult choices to make. If ESWT had a money back guanartee, everyone would be in line for the treatments before surgery. Personally, and I think you feel the same way, I cannot put out that kind of money for something that is only helping 2/3's of the people who have it (ESWT). Good luck with your surgery, no stones here.

BCG

JudyS on 4/11/01 at 12:05 (044255)

Tammi - it is without any reservation that I am happy to extend LOTS of support to you for your decision! It's a good one, it's a pro-active one and it's a surgery that has a good success rate. The great thing about life is the we get to make choices. The second great thing about life is that we get to educate ourselves before making those choices and you've clearly done a good job of it. Congratulations on making a good, sound decision - you go girl!

Nancy N on 4/11/01 at 13:41 (044266)

Tammie--

I certainly didn't mean to make you feel like you are wrong to have the surgery done--if that is what you believe is best for you, then by all means, I think you should do it. I was just trying to make sure that you had taken the time to consider all of your options--I got the impression from your message that you might've been pressured to have the surgery, and wanted to make sure that that wasn't the case. I'm glad to see that it's not. I wish you luck--more than that, I wish you success. Keep us posted--we do care about you and how you are doing.

Nancy N on 4/11/01 at 13:44 (044267)

Brian--

You do have a point, but ESWT's success rate is comparable to surgery's success rate, if not a little better. And the cost of ESWT far outweighs the risks inherent in the surgery, for a lot of us. Personally, I'd rather spend the money and know that I tried everything I possibly could before the knife. It would be worth the cash for me to know that I did everything I could before surgery, even if the ESWT wasn't successful--and I don't make a lot of money, so spending that much does not come easily to me.

Anyway, just my two cents--there are arguments for and against both sides. :)

Tammie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044289)

Judy , Thank you for your support!!!! I am so confused on people and there names so forgive me if I dont know if you have had the surgery or not! I hope you are doing well and I hope I can support others who are having the same hard time with this type of decision!!!!!! Thanks agian

Re: Do what is right for you, Tammie/ Thank u Brian

Tammie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044292)

Thank u again Brian for the support. Yes it is very hard to get treatment for what u need , Insurance Co. seem to run the worls somtimes we always have to check on Insurance for everything you cant even go without insurance for everything, and then they dont want to pay for half! No I to do not have that kind of money to dole out , my husband Has R arthritis and we have fought for him to recieve the new infusions called remicade and boy what a fight it is 3,000 a treatmeant and will have to have for the rest of his life hopefully every 8 weeks, but he is only 43 and it would be awful for him not to be able to move anymore. $3,000 is just for the medication to not even the cost of the nurse who does it and supplies. And insurance hassels over it , like is it nec. why cant he keep on the other million drugs he is on, oh well see someone needs to put insurance co. in there palaces or maybe they should all expierance some of the pains that make people suffer!!! Well thanks again for your upbeat support

Re: cortisone not fun buttt if it works great/And a message to all that may not agree with my decision/Nancy

Tammie on 4/11/01 at 18:51 (044295)

thank u for your support, I know I am a bit frazzeled at times and I will admit I am not a good decision maker I am wishy washy as they come!! I have struggeled with this one , but I have to do something and I cannot wait any longer I have tried waht was available to Me, Nothing has even touched it not even a little to give some hope , the only thing that gave any relief was messages and heat for calf spasams, I am tired of not sleeping I feel like a new mother as I wake every hour all night long Not to mention the other part of the day when you can barely lift your leg to make yourself take one more step and know that you have to , to think do I Really Need to go to the bathroom, as if I do it will hurt so bad, I am sure you are familiar with all of thease things as I am seeing that most have the similar symptoms, It is time for me to take the next step a chance to set me free , I am willing to take it! Thanks and I hope u will talk to me again as I do believe that you people here do have the best and most knowledge around, gosh you couldhave been pods, the knowledge is so great I have to wonder sometimes who the Dr.s are here !!! Hugs and thanks

Donna M. on 4/11/01 at 18:55 (044296)

Tammie,
God bless and good luck with your operation!! I for one will be waiting to hear and find out how it turns out!!
I, myself, am in your same situation. I have had two injections and weeks of therapy and my PF is none the better. As for the injections, I only had relief for about 15 minutes from the second one! I know a couple of people who have had surgery in my area and I have been trying to get in touch with them for the sole purpose (no pun intended!) of finding out who their Doctor is!! I am hundreds and hundreds of miles from anywhere that does the ESWT, according to what I have been able to find out. My hubby's insurance will not pay for it anyway!
I was reading on the other board about the people talking about running with PF. You know, I can't imagine!! I do good to hobble around and would just give anything if I could take 5 steps and not be on my toes!! I miss not feeling like or being able to go outside and walk around the yard and smell the flowers with my 2 little grandchildren.
I wish all of us had access to ESWT, but when we don't surgery is our only other hope.
Take care and you will be in our prayers!! We will be waiting to hear from you.

Donna

Cynthia D on 4/11/01 at 23:18 (044318)

Tammie, I've been there, believe me.... there are times you'd rather pee in your pants than to get up and hurt your feet again during the night just to go ... especially if you are pregnant (I was), lol, I've spent hours trying to wait rather than get on my feet again. I believe you did a thorough job investigating your options, and I for one am proud of you!! I hope we hear from you in a few weeks that you are doing so well, you'll leave us behind in your dust, best wishes!!!!

Barbara O on 4/10/01 at 01:52 (044151)

Im ashamed at being so nervous about an injection when you are going for an operation. Good Luck with it !!!Barbara O (England)

Nancy N on 4/10/01 at 09:28 (044161)

Tammie--

What all have you tried so far? Do you know if you're a candidate for ESWT? There's not a chance that I'd even begin to consider surgery without trying ESWT first, no matter how much faith I had in my doctor. ESWT is non-invasive and doesn't pose the risks that surgery does, and is at least as effective as surgery. You also don't have the recovery time you would have with surgery.

Please please please consider the ESWT before just jumping into surgery. I've heard too many horror stories about people who didn't, and lived to regret it. You could end up worse than you were before the surgery. If the cortisone helped at all, there's a good chance that the ESWT might help you. Please look into it...we don't want to you to become a statistic!!

Tammie on 4/10/01 at 15:38 (044190)

Hi first to u Barb, Dont fear the cortisone if u have a good Dr. I was terrified it was not as bad as I was led to believe although I wouldnt want to often lol. I had the second on Fri and although it was a bit worse then the first I would have tried anything to get rid of this problem and the pain so I could walk normal again without the surgery.

Hi Nancy,
I do appreciate your concern, and I have told my story before and I have tried allot of suggestions here and with the Dr., I really tried it is a very hard decision to make as any elective surgery must be, a emergency surgery u know has to be done , elective there is always a question. I have asked about this ESWT, it is not available to me as it is not approved my our insurance yet as still to new. The dr. I see does not have it. I am not against this type of help but it will not be for me. I and my Dr. and my husband have discussed what my options are left we all have decided that this is what i have left as we have tried all the conservitive treatments remember he is my second and third Dr. I have seen not my first I like him and respect him and his opions , he has not foced me to do anything, I am very nervous about this surgery as I am really afraid as i have been a very healthy person all of my life I have had 3 c-sections and 1 d&c and that is about it for surgeries. It has been hard for me as I have always been the healthy one and this seems to have lingered for much to long. Regardless of what people might or might not think of me the decision is made and I am starting to accept this, and hope that people or at least my friends here will care enough about me to help me through this as I would respect there decision also. This si a very good site and I do not want to ever say anything bad about it or any person, as I am not mean , but one thing I have noticed is that if a person decides to do something that doesnt agree with the majority they are stoned or made to feel they are wrong please dont do that as we want to be included , and we need support also we may have to deal with a poor outcome but maybe it will be a good outcome and that is what we all really want! I am not God and dont know what is meant for me but I am in his hands and what ever is meant to happen will be, so please say a little prayer for me and I will return that with prayers for all of the people here and everywhere who are suffering and in pain! I want to thank you all again this is a good place to come but you must have a open mind to remain here! Thanks Tammie

Barbara O on 4/11/01 at 01:53 (044234)

Lots of respect for your decision from here in England. I would do anything rather than surgery. Great minds think alike, Good Luck

BrianG on 4/11/01 at 10:04 (044249)

I'm with you on this one Tammie. Not everyone has the luxery of trying ESWT before having surgery. In the future, the insurance companies may change their way of thinking. Until they do, we will all have difficult choices to make. If ESWT had a money back guanartee, everyone would be in line for the treatments before surgery. Personally, and I think you feel the same way, I cannot put out that kind of money for something that is only helping 2/3's of the people who have it (ESWT). Good luck with your surgery, no stones here.

BCG

JudyS on 4/11/01 at 12:05 (044255)

Tammi - it is without any reservation that I am happy to extend LOTS of support to you for your decision! It's a good one, it's a pro-active one and it's a surgery that has a good success rate. The great thing about life is the we get to make choices. The second great thing about life is that we get to educate ourselves before making those choices and you've clearly done a good job of it. Congratulations on making a good, sound decision - you go girl!

Nancy N on 4/11/01 at 13:41 (044266)

Tammie--

I certainly didn't mean to make you feel like you are wrong to have the surgery done--if that is what you believe is best for you, then by all means, I think you should do it. I was just trying to make sure that you had taken the time to consider all of your options--I got the impression from your message that you might've been pressured to have the surgery, and wanted to make sure that that wasn't the case. I'm glad to see that it's not. I wish you luck--more than that, I wish you success. Keep us posted--we do care about you and how you are doing.

Nancy N on 4/11/01 at 13:44 (044267)

Brian--

You do have a point, but ESWT's success rate is comparable to surgery's success rate, if not a little better. And the cost of ESWT far outweighs the risks inherent in the surgery, for a lot of us. Personally, I'd rather spend the money and know that I tried everything I possibly could before the knife. It would be worth the cash for me to know that I did everything I could before surgery, even if the ESWT wasn't successful--and I don't make a lot of money, so spending that much does not come easily to me.

Anyway, just my two cents--there are arguments for and against both sides. :)

Tammie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044289)

Judy , Thank you for your support!!!! I am so confused on people and there names so forgive me if I dont know if you have had the surgery or not! I hope you are doing well and I hope I can support others who are having the same hard time with this type of decision!!!!!! Thanks agian

Re: Do what is right for you, Tammie/ Thank u Brian

Tammie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044292)

Thank u again Brian for the support. Yes it is very hard to get treatment for what u need , Insurance Co. seem to run the worls somtimes we always have to check on Insurance for everything you cant even go without insurance for everything, and then they dont want to pay for half! No I to do not have that kind of money to dole out , my husband Has R arthritis and we have fought for him to recieve the new infusions called remicade and boy what a fight it is 3,000 a treatmeant and will have to have for the rest of his life hopefully every 8 weeks, but he is only 43 and it would be awful for him not to be able to move anymore. $3,000 is just for the medication to not even the cost of the nurse who does it and supplies. And insurance hassels over it , like is it nec. why cant he keep on the other million drugs he is on, oh well see someone needs to put insurance co. in there palaces or maybe they should all expierance some of the pains that make people suffer!!! Well thanks again for your upbeat support

Re: cortisone not fun buttt if it works great/And a message to all that may not agree with my decision/Nancy

Tammie on 4/11/01 at 18:51 (044295)

thank u for your support, I know I am a bit frazzeled at times and I will admit I am not a good decision maker I am wishy washy as they come!! I have struggeled with this one , but I have to do something and I cannot wait any longer I have tried waht was available to Me, Nothing has even touched it not even a little to give some hope , the only thing that gave any relief was messages and heat for calf spasams, I am tired of not sleeping I feel like a new mother as I wake every hour all night long Not to mention the other part of the day when you can barely lift your leg to make yourself take one more step and know that you have to , to think do I Really Need to go to the bathroom, as if I do it will hurt so bad, I am sure you are familiar with all of thease things as I am seeing that most have the similar symptoms, It is time for me to take the next step a chance to set me free , I am willing to take it! Thanks and I hope u will talk to me again as I do believe that you people here do have the best and most knowledge around, gosh you couldhave been pods, the knowledge is so great I have to wonder sometimes who the Dr.s are here !!! Hugs and thanks

Donna M. on 4/11/01 at 18:55 (044296)

Tammie,
God bless and good luck with your operation!! I for one will be waiting to hear and find out how it turns out!!
I, myself, am in your same situation. I have had two injections and weeks of therapy and my PF is none the better. As for the injections, I only had relief for about 15 minutes from the second one! I know a couple of people who have had surgery in my area and I have been trying to get in touch with them for the sole purpose (no pun intended!) of finding out who their Doctor is!! I am hundreds and hundreds of miles from anywhere that does the ESWT, according to what I have been able to find out. My hubby's insurance will not pay for it anyway!
I was reading on the other board about the people talking about running with PF. You know, I can't imagine!! I do good to hobble around and would just give anything if I could take 5 steps and not be on my toes!! I miss not feeling like or being able to go outside and walk around the yard and smell the flowers with my 2 little grandchildren.
I wish all of us had access to ESWT, but when we don't surgery is our only other hope.
Take care and you will be in our prayers!! We will be waiting to hear from you.

Donna

Cynthia D on 4/11/01 at 23:18 (044318)

Tammie, I've been there, believe me.... there are times you'd rather pee in your pants than to get up and hurt your feet again during the night just to go ... especially if you are pregnant (I was), lol, I've spent hours trying to wait rather than get on my feet again. I believe you did a thorough job investigating your options, and I for one am proud of you!! I hope we hear from you in a few weeks that you are doing so well, you'll leave us behind in your dust, best wishes!!!!