Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

retrocalcaneous exostosis

Posted by rosey on 4/09/01 at 19:44 (044122)

what is an enthesophyte at the insertion of achilles tendon& subtalar joint effusion. does surgery have to be done soon or would it be ok to wait 5-6 weeks. are these usually benign ?

Re: retrocalcaneous exostosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 19:48 (044123)

Hi,

This is a calcification of the Achilles Tendon at back of the heel. If can be very painful and at time make you limp. It sounds like this is a new problem for you. Well what to do.

Rest. Gentle stretching. It can heal. How long have you had this problem. The effusion is swelling in the joint below the ankle joint.

How you been told that you need surgery?

rosey on 4/10/01 at 08:53 (044158)

yes this is an old problem. 5yrs always was told it is a haglunds then last 4-5 mon started getting pain in heel & ankle went to a different md said this is very atypical for haglunds got cortisone shots lasted 24hrs pain is increasing .is exostosis same as costocondroma?. which i read can change to costosarcoma? , if a growth spurt or pain starts to act up!.md wants to biopsy & surgery which i'm not oppose to. remember i posted a week or so & i also have lupus & questionable arthritis /gout in that foot
and i'm worried about the recovery & time off work . i know i will be in cast 3wks & out of work about 8 weeks.of course like everyone i am a very busy woman & would like to wait till my son graduates in may & then do surgery kids out of school & i wont be running around do you think there is any danger of waiting six weeks. only slight swelling noted to return in last week where i had cortisone shot . thanks so much for this site it is awesome i don't feel so alone!
rosey

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/01 at 19:48 (044123)

Hi,

This is a calcification of the Achilles Tendon at back of the heel. If can be very painful and at time make you limp. It sounds like this is a new problem for you. Well what to do.

Rest. Gentle stretching. It can heal. How long have you had this problem. The effusion is swelling in the joint below the ankle joint.

How you been told that you need surgery?

rosey on 4/10/01 at 08:53 (044158)

yes this is an old problem. 5yrs always was told it is a haglunds then last 4-5 mon started getting pain in heel & ankle went to a different md said this is very atypical for haglunds got cortisone shots lasted 24hrs pain is increasing .is exostosis same as costocondroma?. which i read can change to costosarcoma? , if a growth spurt or pain starts to act up!.md wants to biopsy & surgery which i'm not oppose to. remember i posted a week or so & i also have lupus & questionable arthritis /gout in that foot
and i'm worried about the recovery & time off work . i know i will be in cast 3wks & out of work about 8 weeks.of course like everyone i am a very busy woman & would like to wait till my son graduates in may & then do surgery kids out of school & i wont be running around do you think there is any danger of waiting six weeks. only slight swelling noted to return in last week where i had cortisone shot . thanks so much for this site it is awesome i don't feel so alone!
rosey