Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar worts

Posted by Vicki L on 4/09/01 at hrmin (044129)

My daughter is 11 and has what was diagnosed as plantars worts on her feet. Well, I would like to know how you get them, and how to get rid of them. The Dr. has already seen her 3 times, once they froze them, and then they just looked at them, and the next time, they cut the top layers off. Please give me more info on this subject, and let me know if these are a necessary way to treat them. (neding seen so regularly) We were told to use mediplast pads, and to grind the dead skin off to get to the actual wort, and this is all of the treatment so far...
Thank you! Vicki

Re: plantar worts

Jeanie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044246)

I have planters worts on the back of my heel for the last 6 months. I may have caught them when I went for a pedicore. I have been to a 'Podiatrist' many time and he just scraped off the dead skin of the the worts and used Acid Pads. They have not helped me. and they seemed to have spread and I'm so frustrated. I then went to a Dermatologist and he told me to use some cream. I can't recall the name now, but it was applied on the worts every other day, and I had to wash it off after 8 hours. Still no results, what can be done about this? Are there any cures, or does it keep spreading and what can be done? I would appreciate any respond from you, maybe you can advise me.

Thank you!!

Jeanie

Jeanie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044274)

Hi Vikki, Glad you were able to answer me. I have no clue how I got the plantar worts. I just assumed that they were something else. until i had a lot of pain. I went to the Podiatrist and he told me I would have to be treated numerous times. After my 6th visit I decided to go to the Dermatologist and he is treating me with a Cream which I applied every other day. So far there are no changes and I do have some that are spreading. Try to call 1-800-Footcare or go on the Internet and look up Podiatric Physician talks about Warts. I'm new at this, so that's what I'm doing right now. I just hope the cream is able to remove the warts or I'll have to look further. There are other treatments, such as surgical procedures, under local anestgetic. How did your daughter get the Plantar Worts? You can email if you like. under the SN I have indicated, I wish your daughter the best and hope you can help her, If you find another way of getting rid of these Worts, please let me know.

Thank you!!

Jeanie

Dr. Biehler on 4/12/01 at 10:02 (044342)

Plantar worts are caused by a virus. They have a stauk like a carrot so they can be hard to get rid of. Freezing( by special tempeature) and thawing can kill the infected cells and may need to be done more than once. The acid creams ( which can cause a burn if used wrong ) also distroy the cells but needs to be applied as the deep layers of skin grow toward the surface untill the whole root has been distroyed. They can be surgicaly removed by various techniques. Also, taking 1500mg of tagament a day for 30 days has been known to have the side effect of getting rid of worts . You should be sure to check with your doctor before any of they treatments are tried. Dr. B.

Jeanie on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044354)

Dr. Bielher, Thank you for responding to me. Right now I'm using 'ALDARA' cream given to me by my Dermotalogist. I use it every other night for 8 hours. It's not working yet but I will give it a chance.. After a few weeks, I am thinking of going for Lazer surgery.. Hopefully the plantar warts will be removed. If there are any other treatments other then Lazer surgery or Tagament please let me know.

Thank You!!

Jeanie

Dr. Biehler on 4/13/01 at 07:49 (044439)

Some doctors use injections to the wort of some of the same medications used to fight cancer. I would have to look up the names of the medications, as this is a techniqe I have not used, but I understand the results can be excellent. Lazers work, espceally the pulse dye lazer. Dr.B.

Jeanie on 4/13/01 at 08:28 (044441)

Dr. B.. Please let me know the name of the medication, I have a Dr's appointment in two weeks. I hope the Cream that I'm applying has some results before then.

Thank you again for responding to my questions about Plantar Worts.

Jeanie!!

Jeanie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044246)

I have planters worts on the back of my heel for the last 6 months. I may have caught them when I went for a pedicore. I have been to a 'Podiatrist' many time and he just scraped off the dead skin of the the worts and used Acid Pads. They have not helped me. and they seemed to have spread and I'm so frustrated. I then went to a Dermatologist and he told me to use some cream. I can't recall the name now, but it was applied on the worts every other day, and I had to wash it off after 8 hours. Still no results, what can be done about this? Are there any cures, or does it keep spreading and what can be done? I would appreciate any respond from you, maybe you can advise me.

Thank you!!

Jeanie

Jeanie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044274)

Hi Vikki, Glad you were able to answer me. I have no clue how I got the plantar worts. I just assumed that they were something else. until i had a lot of pain. I went to the Podiatrist and he told me I would have to be treated numerous times. After my 6th visit I decided to go to the Dermatologist and he is treating me with a Cream which I applied every other day. So far there are no changes and I do have some that are spreading. Try to call 1-800-Footcare or go on the Internet and look up Podiatric Physician talks about Warts. I'm new at this, so that's what I'm doing right now. I just hope the cream is able to remove the warts or I'll have to look further. There are other treatments, such as surgical procedures, under local anestgetic. How did your daughter get the Plantar Worts? You can email if you like. under the SN I have indicated, I wish your daughter the best and hope you can help her, If you find another way of getting rid of these Worts, please let me know.

Thank you!!

Jeanie

Dr. Biehler on 4/12/01 at 10:02 (044342)

Plantar worts are caused by a virus. They have a stauk like a carrot so they can be hard to get rid of. Freezing( by special tempeature) and thawing can kill the infected cells and may need to be done more than once. The acid creams ( which can cause a burn if used wrong ) also distroy the cells but needs to be applied as the deep layers of skin grow toward the surface untill the whole root has been distroyed. They can be surgicaly removed by various techniques. Also, taking 1500mg of tagament a day for 30 days has been known to have the side effect of getting rid of worts . You should be sure to check with your doctor before any of they treatments are tried. Dr. B.

Jeanie on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044354)

Dr. Bielher, Thank you for responding to me. Right now I'm using 'ALDARA' cream given to me by my Dermotalogist. I use it every other night for 8 hours. It's not working yet but I will give it a chance.. After a few weeks, I am thinking of going for Lazer surgery.. Hopefully the plantar warts will be removed. If there are any other treatments other then Lazer surgery or Tagament please let me know.

Thank You!!

Jeanie

Dr. Biehler on 4/13/01 at 07:49 (044439)

Some doctors use injections to the wort of some of the same medications used to fight cancer. I would have to look up the names of the medications, as this is a techniqe I have not used, but I understand the results can be excellent. Lazers work, espceally the pulse dye lazer. Dr.B.

Jeanie on 4/13/01 at 08:28 (044441)

Dr. B.. Please let me know the name of the medication, I have a Dr's appointment in two weeks. I hope the Cream that I'm applying has some results before then.

Thank you again for responding to my questions about Plantar Worts.

Jeanie!!