Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

collapsed arches

Posted by paula gr on 4/09/01 at 22:23 (044139)

my podiatrist says i have collapsed arches, besides the pf, said physical therapy exercises can cure 80% and orthotics correct the rest. i've been doing the exercises for about a month now, getting nowhere, terrible pain and can't walk or bear weight at all. also, arch area is swollen. does not seem to heal, slightest weight flares it, also now pain developing on outside of each foot under ankle as well. can collapsed arches be fixed with exercise? am i just not working at it hard enuf?

Re: collapsed arches

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 11:28 (044172)

Hi,

If you arches have been getting lower and lower then the posterior tibial may be injured and or torn. No excercise is going to correct the collapse. Orthosis and physical therapy may help with the pain, strenght and flexibility . May be time for MRI to take a look at the posterior tibial tendon.

Re: collapsed arches

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 11:28 (044172)

Hi,

If you arches have been getting lower and lower then the posterior tibial may be injured and or torn. No excercise is going to correct the collapse. Orthosis and physical therapy may help with the pain, strenght and flexibility . May be time for MRI to take a look at the posterior tibial tendon.