Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help me

Posted by mikeg on 4/09/01 at 22:40 (044140)

I have been trying to fight off PF for over a year now. I am a runner and have taken at most 3 weeks off and gone through 2 sets of orthotics trying to correct my problem. I take 2-3 weeks off get orthotics walk around in them for a week then start running in them in 2 weeks I am already at 30 miles a weeks again, am I being an idiot, I can't take missing any more time it is depressing. What should I do? please help me if you have any info or adivice.

Re: help me

BrianG on 4/10/01 at 07:59 (044154)

Hi Mikeg,

I'm not a runner, but I think you already know the answer to this one. You are very lucky that you are able to get some relief when you take a break from running. You already know what your body is telling you. I really think you are trying to do too many miles too soon. Your walking a very fine line here, as any one of these flare ups might not respong to rest. I've had PF for 7 years and it's been life altering. You have the chance now to ensure you won't become one of us. Get some rest, and build up those miles at a slower pace. When you feel the pain, it's time to back off. You CANNOT run through PF, it will only get worse with abuse. Good luck

BCG

john h on 4/10/01 at 09:35 (044162)

take a few months off running or you could be in for chronic PF>

Kim B. on 4/12/01 at 23:39 (044424)

Hi Mike G.

I agree so much with Brian and John's advice. You're just going to have to find another addiction! Take up a none, or less, weight bearing exercise. Bicycling is good when it is done correctly. Semi-Recumbant bikes are particularly easy on the back. I prefer the statinary semi recumbant bicyled, because if I ever got a good quality one, I would watch TV, or reed whle I do it.

The main thing is exercise less, get a new hobby or do some volunteer work that will keep you busy and your mind off the fact that you would rather be running.

It's hard to discibe how debillitating a severe and chronic case of PF can be. You've been given another chance! Take advantage of it! If I has had any sort of indicatio that this would happen to me, I wouldn't have PF today. Head the intuition, or you'll be kicking yourself for not listening to your gut.

Remove/Replacee any and all things that coud be the possible culprit.

Sincerely, Kim B.

BrianG on 4/10/01 at 07:59 (044154)

Hi Mikeg,

I'm not a runner, but I think you already know the answer to this one. You are very lucky that you are able to get some relief when you take a break from running. You already know what your body is telling you. I really think you are trying to do too many miles too soon. Your walking a very fine line here, as any one of these flare ups might not respong to rest. I've had PF for 7 years and it's been life altering. You have the chance now to ensure you won't become one of us. Get some rest, and build up those miles at a slower pace. When you feel the pain, it's time to back off. You CANNOT run through PF, it will only get worse with abuse. Good luck

BCG

john h on 4/10/01 at 09:35 (044162)

take a few months off running or you could be in for chronic PF>

Kim B. on 4/12/01 at 23:39 (044424)

Hi Mike G.

I agree so much with Brian and John's advice. You're just going to have to find another addiction! Take up a none, or less, weight bearing exercise. Bicycling is good when it is done correctly. Semi-Recumbant bikes are particularly easy on the back. I prefer the statinary semi recumbant bicyled, because if I ever got a good quality one, I would watch TV, or reed whle I do it.

The main thing is exercise less, get a new hobby or do some volunteer work that will keep you busy and your mind off the fact that you would rather be running.

It's hard to discibe how debillitating a severe and chronic case of PF can be. You've been given another chance! Take advantage of it! If I has had any sort of indicatio that this would happen to me, I wouldn't have PF today. Head the intuition, or you'll be kicking yourself for not listening to your gut.

Remove/Replacee any and all things that coud be the possible culprit.

Sincerely, Kim B.