Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

With achilles flaired up, do I discontinue PF stretches? Pain...

Posted by Beverly on 4/10/01 at 00:47 (044149)

Dr. Z,

I'm doing what you said, soaking/heating achilles tendon. I get a deep tissue massage to area on Wednesday.

Here is my problem, with this new achilles tendon pain, it hurts to do my usual PF stretches. (nonweightbearing) It pulls on the achilles tendon.
Infact, I can feel the tendon pulling when I do them. I've reduced my stretches by half but it still hurts to do them. Very frustrating. Should I discontinue them for a couple of weeks till this new ankle pain calms down? That is what I did when I tore my hamstring.

Of course, not doing that stretches, is bad for the PF. So, this is a delimma. Also, I went to a medical supply store to look at ankle braces.
Are the lace up kind superior to the stretchy ace bandage sock like splint? Remember, I have PTT too, but it hasn't been so bad lately.

Finally, what seemed to bring on this achilles tendon pain was trying to do seated toe raises. Do you think that caused it or was it merely a coincidence?

Thank you so much,
Beverly

Re: With achilles flaired up, do I discontinue PF stretches? Pain...

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 10:11 (044167)

Hi,

Seated toe raises will place more weight and pressure on just the tendon and not the gastronemius muscle. I would use the ankle brace if this is comfortable. Let's see what else. In a pool or hot tube is very helpful and should be very relaxing. If you had a hot tube I would make a house call.

If no hot tube stop all stretching for a few weeks.

Re: I have a hot tub. So, I stretch in the hottub?

Beverly on 4/10/01 at 13:13 (044177)

Dr. Z.,

I have a hot tub at my apartment! It's Texas, and plenty warm outside.
So, you want me to do my FootFlexes in the hot tub? I'd love to invite you over for that house call. You could stop off by TX Barb's. I know! Just bring the zapper with you, and we can all line up. I wish I hadn't tried those seated toe raises.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 19:12 (044202)

Hi,

Just get in the tub. You are seated, move your ankle up and down, if this is comfortable then move up to moving the toes back and forth

Re: With achilles flaired up, do I discontinue PF stretches? Pain...

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 10:11 (044167)

Hi,

Seated toe raises will place more weight and pressure on just the tendon and not the gastronemius muscle. I would use the ankle brace if this is comfortable. Let's see what else. In a pool or hot tube is very helpful and should be very relaxing. If you had a hot tube I would make a house call.

If no hot tube stop all stretching for a few weeks.

Beverly on 4/10/01 at 13:13 (044177)

Dr. Z.,

I have a hot tub at my apartment! It's Texas, and plenty warm outside.
So, you want me to do my FootFlexes in the hot tub? I'd love to invite you over for that house call. You could stop off by TX Barb's. I know! Just bring the zapper with you, and we can all line up. I wish I hadn't tried those seated toe raises.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/10/01 at 19:12 (044202)

Hi,

Just get in the tub. You are seated, move your ankle up and down, if this is comfortable then move up to moving the toes back and forth