Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New to Board, Sched for Surgery April 17th...

Posted by Cindy H. on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044168)

Hi to everybody. I've read quite a bit around this mammoth-sized site. Many things to think about.

I have traditional PF in the right foot, have had for two years. About six months into that, I felt something RIP or PULL in my left heel! A spot the size of a nickel swelled and got red on that heel....now all this time later, the left foot is the worse of the two. I've done stretching, icing, many things. Have had four sets of shots now which helped about 6 weeks per shot...However, the last shots in Mid-January failed to do much for the left heel, thus the POD says surgery is what to do. I looked into Orthotripsy as there's one machine in OK but my Ins won't pay for it and it's $6,700.00 for the treatment....they've also only been doing it a month. So, I'm back to my POD tomorrow April 11th to discuss my good and bad feelings about surgery. I assume it won't be endoscopicly as he said he would clip the fascia and then smooth of the spur while he's there. Any of you have 'knots' of muscling or whatever on your heel in addition to the pulling of the fasciia?

I wish all of you and myself the best of luck in healing....If anyone here's in OK, I'd also love to hear who your doc is....Best, Cindy in Central OK

Re: New to Board, Sched for Surgery April 17th...

Pam R. on 4/10/01 at 22:53 (044226)

Endoscopic surgery can be done to release the fascia and file down the bone spur. I had it done 2 weeks ago and I'm recovering nicely. I had those same fears about having something severed that would never grow back together again, especially on the bottom of your foot.. But that's just human nature-being afraid of the unknown. I'm not sure about your lump on your heal, though, I had lumps on my tendons on both feet that lead to the heal. My are called fibromas, they are benign tumors and I have heard that they can grow and become quite painful. This is something you have to discuss with your Pod--He should know immediately by looking or he may send you to get an MRI if he isn't sure. But if it helps you at all knowing that someone went through the same surgery, already had the stitches removed and going shopping already should give you some encouragement. Now every doctor has a different way of doing things-some put you in a cast. Some want you non-weight-bearing for weeks and there are some like my Pod that wanted me walking on it the first day .5 Minutes every hour, 10 minutes every hour the next day , then walk as tolerated, elevate and ice. and elevate and ice. I repeat this because that keeps the swelling down. Post everyday if you want. This is a great site and everyone is so sincere. Someone will always be here for you. LOL ((Soft Hugs))--Good Luck--you'll be fine, Pam

Re: For Pam R

BrianG on 4/11/01 at 07:51 (044243)

Hi Pam, our resident 'happy feet' person. I'm not sure if I asked you before, did you have the scope, or open surgery. Glad your still doing so well. I shoulda gone to your doc :*(

BCG

Pam R. on 4/11/01 at 15:06 (044271)

Happy Feet , I like that name Brian. I had the scope done. Yes, my Pod is great--he also has a great since of humor and he Loves Home Depot. Since my husband always takes me to my appointments and he works at Home Depot and both have that same comic sense of humor--I told them that that should do stand -up comedian skits together. I always tell me to get their jokes out of their system--Cause I'm next--remember me the Patient! His practice is growing so , he hired someone to help him. He saw 50 patients ,the day I was last there and has two offices. I know who he reminds me of 'Tom Hanks'--kinda looks like him too. Happy Easter to all.And a special Irish Blessing --May you have warm words on a cold evening, A full moon on a dark night, And the road down hill all the way to your door. LOL ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Re: How do I contact Dr. Zuckerman?

Cindy on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044369)

Has anyone the phone # or name of Clinic for this doctor? I have a couple of questions & he (she?) hasn't responded to the last e-mail....I'm set for surgery Tues AM 4-17 and have some second thoughts...Best, Cindy

Valerie S on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044386)

Hi Cindy.

If you to to the Ask the Doctors message board, you will find a link to Dr. Z at the top of the page. There, you will find lots of info about his office, including his address and phone number. Here is his number:

(856) 848-FEET (3338)

Good luck to you. I hope you your questions answered and that everything turns out ok for you.

Val.

Re: New to Board, Sched for Surgery April 17th...

Pam R. on 4/10/01 at 22:53 (044226)

Endoscopic surgery can be done to release the fascia and file down the bone spur. I had it done 2 weeks ago and I'm recovering nicely. I had those same fears about having something severed that would never grow back together again, especially on the bottom of your foot.. But that's just human nature-being afraid of the unknown. I'm not sure about your lump on your heal, though, I had lumps on my tendons on both feet that lead to the heal. My are called fibromas, they are benign tumors and I have heard that they can grow and become quite painful. This is something you have to discuss with your Pod--He should know immediately by looking or he may send you to get an MRI if he isn't sure. But if it helps you at all knowing that someone went through the same surgery, already had the stitches removed and going shopping already should give you some encouragement. Now every doctor has a different way of doing things-some put you in a cast. Some want you non-weight-bearing for weeks and there are some like my Pod that wanted me walking on it the first day .5 Minutes every hour, 10 minutes every hour the next day , then walk as tolerated, elevate and ice. and elevate and ice. I repeat this because that keeps the swelling down. Post everyday if you want. This is a great site and everyone is so sincere. Someone will always be here for you. LOL ((Soft Hugs))--Good Luck--you'll be fine, Pam

BrianG on 4/11/01 at 07:51 (044243)

Hi Pam, our resident 'happy feet' person. I'm not sure if I asked you before, did you have the scope, or open surgery. Glad your still doing so well. I shoulda gone to your doc :*(

BCG

Pam R. on 4/11/01 at 15:06 (044271)

Happy Feet , I like that name Brian. I had the scope done. Yes, my Pod is great--he also has a great since of humor and he Loves Home Depot. Since my husband always takes me to my appointments and he works at Home Depot and both have that same comic sense of humor--I told them that that should do stand -up comedian skits together. I always tell me to get their jokes out of their system--Cause I'm next--remember me the Patient! His practice is growing so , he hired someone to help him. He saw 50 patients ,the day I was last there and has two offices. I know who he reminds me of 'Tom Hanks'--kinda looks like him too. Happy Easter to all.And a special Irish Blessing --May you have warm words on a cold evening, A full moon on a dark night, And the road down hill all the way to your door. LOL ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Cindy on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044369)

Has anyone the phone # or name of Clinic for this doctor? I have a couple of questions & he (she?) hasn't responded to the last e-mail....I'm set for surgery Tues AM 4-17 and have some second thoughts...Best, Cindy

Valerie S on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044386)

Hi Cindy.

If you to to the Ask the Doctors message board, you will find a link to Dr. Z at the top of the page. There, you will find lots of info about his office, including his address and phone number. Here is his number:

(856) 848-FEET (3338)

Good luck to you. I hope you your questions answered and that everything turns out ok for you.

Val.