Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

WHAT A DAY FROM HELL !!!!!! I NEED TO VENT..

Posted by Laurie R on 4/10/01 at 21:39 (044217)

Hi Everyone,
Well first of all I can't believe I'm on the internet telling everyone my business . But this means one thing ,I must be very comfortable here,which I am.

Here goes ,my mom will be having surgery again on her knee,her doctor is not sure if he is going to do a whole knee replacement or just a partial .She lives two doors down from me. So today my husband and I were talking ,figuring out who will help her when she comes home from the hospital. I have always helped her after all her surgeries, and my oldest daughter . So we thought is was not fair that my daughter and I would have to do it all this time. Plus my foot is worse then it was ,so it will be hard for me. So we decided to ask my two nieces to help my daughter . I bought this up to my mom and she hit the ceiling . She also told me she could take care of herself. Let me tell you from the past she can not. So we got into a big fight over this .... Then when she left my husband and I got into it ,wait their is one more, my daughter and I got into it over a pair of pants.

So now I am sitting here in all kinds of pain and mad.... Now do you think any of them even asked me how my foot was today ?? NO they did not!!! I guess since I stopped telling them about how much pain I am in ,they must think my foot is all healed up . Yeah right..... Only if it could be that easy .....

Ok thank you for letting me vent.... I do feel better ,cause I do know you guys care ......My very best to all ......I'm going to go jump off a bridge now..Just kidding but it does sound pretty good right now.....Laurie R

Re: WHAT A DAY FROM HELL !!!!!! I NEED TO VENT..

Donna M. on 4/10/01 at 22:06 (044221)

Laurie,
I can sympathize with you and know just exactly where you are coming from, and then some! But no matter what, the pain, disgust and anger are the same! :)
My Mother had heart problems in February and was told she couldn't live alone anymore. So, my sister decided my Mother would move in with her.
While my sister got things ready at her home, I was at my Mother's, doing all the packing, cleaning out, getting things ready to store, and all the while having to keep my Mother in a good humor and not get depressed.
After I would pack boxes (to carry to my sister's for my Mother while she stayed there during the move) I would carry them to my SUV, by myself, and load all it would hold. I failed to mention to you that she lives on the 4th floor of the apartment building!! Now all the while my foot is giving me a fit from all the extra wear and tear, but my sister nor anyone else could care!
Also, I live 100 miles from my Mother and sister and would stay there 3-4 days and pack my Mother's things, come home a couple of days and go back. This went on the whole month of February and into March!
Now my Mother and sister are not getting along well and my Mother may be moving in with me!!
If you find a safe bridge to jump off of let me know!! We can hold hands and jump together!! :)

Donna M.

Re: Hey Laurie, how's your foot today??

Valerie S on 4/10/01 at 22:46 (044225)

Just thought you might like it if someone asked... hee hee.

I really can dig your story too... I feel like I am fighting too much with my husband too. He is lucky though: he gets all my frustration because I don't have anyone else to spread it around to... hee hee. I drive him to school every morning, and yesterday he got to listen to me crab at him the whole way there because he decided to go before my 7:00 am PT appt, which I made to accomodate his normal schedule of 9:00am... He is only trying to do what is right, get good grades so he can get a good job and rescue me from my feet... my hero, my whipping-boy. ho hum. I wish I could swallow entire days sometimes.

Try to have a better Wednesday. Remember you are not alone.

Laurie R on 4/11/01 at 03:14 (044235)

Hi Donna,
Ok you won ,your mom story is worse then mine, Your mom wants to move in with you? Oh my goodness when I read that you had to move your mom from the 4 th floor ,my foot was hurting for you. I can so relate to the family thing you have going on right now. I will be looking for that bridge for us...Ha Ha Ha ..Hang in there Donna ,and I hope your feet are not that bad.... The things we do for family......Laurie R

Dear Val,
Thank you for asking about my foot... It hurts tonight ... I think getting so stressed out didn't help with the pain either . I have to learn jus tto let things go ... How are you doing?????

Re: Girls Girls Girls...........

JudyS on 4/11/01 at 11:49 (044254)

NO BRIDGES! Puh-leze! We need you desperately here. This whole webpage would melt without you so NO BRIDGES!
Isn't it strange how those 'days from hell' happen - like a snowball that turns in to an avalanche and leaves you sitting there wondering what the heck happened?
I so understand the taking-care-of-Mom thing. That's pretty much how my PF became chronic - we too had to move my mother-in-law but had to rehab her house and take care of her for a few months before we moved her. I sure didn't mind the work because I was the only one in the family who wasn't working full time but the sorer my feet got the more I resented my sisters-in-law just breezing through on their way to recreational activities! Not to mention our resident teenager acting just like a teenager! However, I only had me to blame for my sore feet! My husband and I were eventually savvy enough to understand that we had to work extra-hard to stay in tune with each other. I empathise, my friends....but no bridges!

rekha.s on 4/11/01 at 12:37 (044257)

Sorry Laurie that you are going thru a rough time. Please hang in there-you will get through this. I can definitely relate because my life is on hold due to possible TTS symptoms in my right foot. I already have bilateral PF. I have waited patiently for months with my stupid hospital Kaiser to get anywhere..

I am pretty frustrated as well as my family are getting sick of me. I am seriously thinking of joining a pain-managment program, and have been practicing progressive muscle relaxation thru this tape i bought. It is really helping with the frustration and anxiety. I would highly recommend it!

By the way, Laurie, you live in the SF bay area right? So do I, in Fremont. In a way I am glad it is gloomy today outside because when its sunny outside it gets me more deprssed knowing people are out and about and I am stuck resting this damn foot...

Laurie R on 4/11/01 at 14:11 (044268)

Hi Rekha,
I thought you lived by me,but I didn't know you lived in Fremont. I live in Hayward,we are about 10 minutes from eash other..Small world. We go to Newpark mall all the time....I can so relate to the family getting sick of us. My family don't even ask anymore how my foot feels..

Also I am so sorry to hear that you have Kaiser ,not that Kaiser is bad ,they are just good for somethings but not soo good for other things....

Does Kaiser have pain managment?? If so that would be a good idea for you to check out. I have followed your story ...I hope you feel better soon...E-mail me anytime if you would like just to talk... angels1108@msn.com

Judy,
I really not looking for a bridge,but it did sound good yesterday .All I did was cry last night and I could not sleep. I finally fell asleep at 2:30 this morning,then I had to get up early with the kids.... I feel much better today .... Thank you for your kind words....

My very best to all. Laurie R

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/11/01 at 18:07 (044282)

Hi,
Guess what it is Dr. Z's Birthday today and I just got home from being called from Jury Duty. Anyway I though I would try to make you laugh. I hope I did.

Beverly on 4/11/01 at 18:22 (044285)

Laurie,

We can't have you jumping off a bridge! I hope you find a way to support your mother and at the same time take care of yourself.

Like most others wrote, I can certainly sympathize with you about family.
Mine has a hard time understanding what bad shape I'm in. I'm sure they get sick of me. My ex, who I am close to, simply refers to my assortment of foot and ankle problems as 'Beverly's ailments.' Somehow, the tone of voice is less than sympathetic.

The most ironic thing I've learned this year is how much TLC was directed my way when I had the flu this past winter. My stopped up, coughing, barely able to breath self was easy to see. But my feet and ankles, well other than occassional swelling, they look perfectly normal. I think it is just hard for people to understand.

Hang in there. This is a good place to vent. I'm having a very down week in the ankle department (now it's also swollen). So, it's easy for me to feel for you.
Take Care,
Beverly

wendyn on 4/11/01 at 20:14 (044305)

Laurie - can't get to the board much anymore - but I thought I'd let you know I can sympathize with your day from hell.....

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Re: Ladies, we need to get a grip here.... Where is Julie?

Cynthia D on 4/11/01 at 22:36 (044310)

Julie would know what to do. She would have us all take a very deep breath.... and stretch and take care of ourselves right now and not worry so much about others or their reaction or 'assumed' non-caring about our current status of pain. Oh, Beverly, yours was so sad your (our) poor hubbys putting up with us all.... Laurie and Donna's mothers and the active sister-in-laws (We could all grab them and make them get shocked by Dr. Z), Rekah, Rekah, I'm so, so very sorry your issues got compounded, remember we used to talk when all you had was pf, I'm so very sorry and hopeful for you to get a 'quick fix', Dr. Z, too funny, I did laugh at the 'Wizard' having to go to Jury Duty, couldn't you tell them you had to save the world? Wendy's poor shoulder on top of everything else.....

Do you guys need a laugh? Tonight I went to a political fund-raiser, ever searching the room for a chair or an unsuspecting table to lean on.... talking to a very prominent group of political types, I was leaning on the arms of a chair so I could be the height of everyone else..... the chair came out from under me... blond hair flying, chardonnay splattering and splashing, chair scraping, breaths inhaling, me insisting I'm totally fine sitting on the floor, and laughing at myself, all the males in the room, including my adorable hubby running to lift me up, me insisting that not a fingernail got broke, but how is the chair? Thank God my pain went from a constant 8-9 to a sometimes 2-3!!!! Glad to even be dressed up and attending occassional outings. Hope you all have this much fun soon.......

rekha.s on 4/12/01 at 02:09 (044323)

thanks Cynthia...for your caring words....But like Laurie R says, this is the only place we can vent....it is nice to vent and get it out of our systems...and go on with the next few days until the pressure builds up again....its either vent on this board or some other outlet..

I totally laughed at your unfortunate event......oh .....I can totally picture it....too funny....you defintely gave me a laugh...

I am so glad to have this board.....hang in there everyone...remember...there is always tomorrow....

PS: Happy birthday Dr Z!!!!

Re: I totally agree....

Cynthia D on 4/12/01 at 10:31 (044347)

Where would we all be without our pf friends to turn to in good times, as well as bad? This site is a sanity-saver!

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 11:08 (044350)

Julie is in Crete for two weeks.

Re: Especially bitchy this morning. Setback more nasty than 1st realized.

Beverly on 4/12/01 at 13:33 (044359)

Well, while we're having a bitch fest, I feel especially bitchy and pitiful this morning. My previously mentioned setback looks like it's going to be a doosey. Even worse, I know these Birks are all wrong for achilles tendonitis, but they are the only shoes that feel good to my feet. (Negative heel cup not good for AT)
I'm doing ice, heat, hot soaks, trying out different ankle supports.
And now, my headset has gone out on my telephone! So, in general, I feel yucky this morning.
And I had to listen to one of my best friends bemoaning that she can't quite pull off chin ups despite diligence and a size 4 body weight. Needless to say, I had to work hard at showing sympathy for her 'plight.'
How are you girls this morning?
Beverly

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 16:14 (044374)

Beverly - I join you in the particularly bitchy department today.

I started coming down with a cold Monday. Loaded up on Echinnacea, vitamin C, hot tea, chicken soup and figured I had it beat but yesterday it really settled in. Last night I only slept about 90 minutes total (most of it sitting up in a chair) becuase my nose is so plugged I can't breathe. I have a four day weekend coming up (thank God) and I look like Rudolph.

This is the 3rd nasty cold I've had since September. Number 2 son is in a high school with 2200 kids and he is picking up every germ that any one of them has! Considerate child though, always wants to share, so he brings his bugs home for me.

Beverly - I wanted to thank you for pointing out all the ergonomic concerns. At work - I have one of those trays that sits in front of the monitor so I don't always have to look down so far. I also have a really low desk and a tiny little chair, and a tiny little ergonomic mouse. I don't wear bi-focals (yet) - but recently found out that I am border line for reading glasses at the ripe old age of 32.

I have always wanted one of those phone headsets, I am notorious for spending a long time on the phone. I have one at work that I should start using again (I will start using again) and perhaps this is all good reason to buy one for home.

On the bright side - my shoulder is not perfect but it is 10 times better than it was Monday. I love my physiotherapist.

I basically told her that on Monday. After she cracked my back and massaged the knots out of my neck I said....'Ooooohhh I LIKE you so much.!'

Re: Especially bitchy this morning. /WHAT BEVERLY?!

Donna M. on 4/12/01 at 20:55 (044410)

Beverly,
Since I haven't been here long, tell me what is achilles tendonitis and how it feels!! I have PF, but does AT go hand in hand with PF or what? I am asking for a reason. That could be part of my problem and what my other foot may be trying to come down with!! WOW~ someting else to look forward to!!

thanks,

Donna

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 21:11 (044415)

I am certainly in a most foul mood today.

Having to count to 10 so I don't spout profanities at 'Damon' over on the foot surgery board and his comments about being afraid of Canadian airports and doctors.

Well, I had to delete the rest of my note because Scott want's us to be nice. So - I'll go find something else to do.

But - for anyone else who's interested, yes we have running water
we have electricity
we have cars that run on gas
we have doctors who understand modern medicine
we do not live in igloos
it does not snow all year round
and yes
IT PISSES US OFF when people don't know!

Rose L on 4/12/01 at 23:44 (044425)

Hi, Rekhas & Laurie!
I'm also a Bay Area sufferer (Sonoma). I too am with Kaiser. I am getting better treatment at the Santa Rosa facility that I just switched to. I've had some weird symptoms that make me an 'a-typical' plantar fasciitis person. My feet get icy and red...something to do with the sympathetic nervous system over-reacting and possibly creating more pain and hindering healing. I had an appointment with a doctor at Kaiser's pain clinic today and I got incredible treatment. Apparently there's accupressure, accupuncture, bio-feedback, self-hypnosis, etc. available which if nothing else may help preserve my sanity (what's left of it) as this ordeal drags on. Hoping for the best - almost 3 weeks post ESWT Canadian Style!
Let's stay in touch!Rose
Rose

rekha.s on 4/12/01 at 23:50 (044426)

oh my god Wendy, I have been to Canada many times, and it is just like the United States....don't let it get to you.....

by the way, hope your shoulder is doing better....take care

Re: Canada Is THE MOST Beautiful Place!

Janet C. on 4/12/01 at 23:56 (044428)

I had the pleasure of driving in a motor home with my husband, two kids, a dog, and I got pregnant along the way, through Canada to Alaska and back many moons ago. I am so glad we made that wonderful, crazy decision when we were younger, healthier, and able to enjoy it. Canada is the most beautiful and CLEAN country with the NICEST people I have EVER come across! Those of us struggling in the trashy, big, angry cities of the U.S. of A. could learn quite a bit about living from our northern neighbor.

I would LOVE to trade places with you, Wendy! But, I don't imagine my suburban home on the outskirts of L.A. would appeal much to you...SIGH!

Laurie R on 4/13/01 at 00:24 (044429)

Hi Rose,
Wow now their is three of us so far from the bay area.... Well their is more I'm sure .... E-mail me Rose if you would like to talk...angels1108@msn.com .......Laurie R

Laurie R on 4/13/01 at 00:28 (044430)

Wendy,
You of all people ,the most sweetest and compassionate and caring ....Don't let one person get to you.I have major PMS this week so I so understand ...Take care Wendy ... Laurie R

wendyn on 4/13/01 at 08:30 (044442)

Thanks guys.

I am somewhat more human today. I got about 4 hours of sleep which is way better than the night before.

My nose is SO sore I can hardly wipe it - and my ears pop every time I swallow. My nose is all swollen and raw. I cannot describe how positively lovely I look!

I am in a better mood today, and thanks for putting up with my crabbing last night.

Glad I thought twice and changed my post - the first one was much worse.

I decided to post about how I felt rather than pass judgement on the other persons's IQ. Very tough to do when your mad.

Anyway - I won't be around till next week - talk to you then.

wendyn on 4/13/01 at 08:38 (044443)

Thanks Janet - I rather like it here too. The cold in the winter I could do with out. We still don't have leaves or flowers or anything - it's just getting to be spring now - so our summers are short. Closer to the coasts it's much nicer by now.

Actually - when you mention friendliness of people....hubby and I were actually shocked a few times when we were in Chicago and Indianpolis recently. Although certainly not all, some of the people we dealt with were SO rude that it bordered on mean.

There certainly seems to be a different level of courtesy expected in general here compared to there. Amazing when you think about it really - that there could be that type of cultural difference between two countries that are so similar.

And - just so no one else points it out - that isn't to say there aren't very rude people in Canada (I have met my share). I'm speaking in real general terms here and I don't mean to insult anyone. Just an observation a lot of people make.

I don't know if it's the size of the city or not - my city has close to a million people so it's not like I'm from a small town.

For those of you who have been in England - what's it like there? Are people fairly friendly and polite?

Nancy N on 4/13/01 at 09:50 (044453)

The people I've met in England and in Ireland were very friendly, easy-going types (perhaps a little more so in Ireland). I would tend to agree that the US does seem to have more of a tendency to be, shall we say, less than pleasant. I notice it in myself sometimes and don't really like it--when you're around your friends, or other people you know, most people here are just fine. But if you go out to a public place like a shopping mall or an airport...it's a different story when you encounter people who don't know you. I think this is true anywhere in the world, but I think we have a little more of it--we're so busy worrying about things that don't matter, rushing around like crazy people with a cell phone in one hand and a palm pilot in the other, having to be connected to everything all the time.

Again, this is obviously a generalization, but I think it's getting to be more and more true. Especially when you consider things like road rage, which are getting out of control in some places. A friend of mine stepped on his brakes to try to get another driver to stop tailgating him a few weeks ago. The next thing he knows, when they're both stopped, the guy comes up and starts yelling at him. I don't remember why he got out of the car (my recollection of the exact chronology is a little sketchy), but he did, and then the guy punched him in the eye. As I recall, this happened more or less in the middle of nowhere--not in a big city by any stretch. Fortunately, my friend had his cell phone and called the cops, but really....punching someone out just because they put their brakes on? How far is the anger in our society going to go??

Kay S on 4/13/01 at 15:18 (044486)

Hi Laurie
I haven't been online all week, and was sorry to read your account of the day from hell. It happens to all of us at one time or another and I'm glad you came here to get it off your chest.
Having chronic pain and all the trouble you have had with trying to get your surgery scheduled, and now this--------it's no wonder you feel like jumping off the bridge. However, remember what my friend told me when I suggested that? She said I'd probably land on my feet, make them worse, and LIVE. So I think you better rethink that bridge thing!
Can your mom go to a rehab place for a couple of weeks after the knee is done? Lots of people do that so they can get their therapy, and insurance pays for it too. Also, who is the parent of these nieces who will help? Is it your brother or sister? Why can't they help out and you can make a schedule for who will be checking on your mom and doing what needs to be done, etc.? I know sometimes the work part doesn't get divvied up evenly in these situations, but there is no way you can do some of the things, and you have to consider your own health and well-being.
This is one of those times when you can't see how you are going to manage, but somehow you will and so will your mom. I'll be glad when you can look back on it and wonder how you got through!
Kay

Kay S on 4/13/01 at 15:51 (044490)

Wendyn
My sisters and mom and I went to Vancouver for a little vacation a couple of years ago, and when I called my husband, I told him that if someone said I'd have to live there, that would be okay with me. It was so gorgeous! We enjoyed every minute of our stay, and I hope to go back there one day.
I am sorry you met rude people in Chicago, but it seems to me that people are getting more selfish and less kind every day, so I guess you just ran into some of that kind!
I live in a very small (or it used to be!) village about 35 miles southwest of the city (Chicago) and now that people are coming to live here from the cities, they want to change the town to make it more 'citified' ------which is the very reason they moved AWAY from the city. I don't get it, but I do notice people going 'in' the 'out' drive at the local grocery store, and the don't seem to think the arrows and signs include them, and mostly it is just a lack of consideration for one's neighbors that has changed over the years.
I'm glad your shoulder is better. I haven't been online until today and didn't know about it until now. This is a really busy week for us Christians!
Happy Easter.
Kay

JudyS on 4/13/01 at 23:47 (044526)

and.......Vancouver Island and it's city of Victoria are quite likely the most beautiful spots in North America! You go Canada! (you too, Wendy!)

JudyS on 4/13/01 at 23:57 (044528)

Well TexBev, I can't join the 'B...'-fest today ( some other day, I'm sure!) but is it OK if I don't like any size 4 person today - or tomorrow, or ever?!? That would be the insecure me asking!
BTW - can you put a bit of a heel pad in those Birks to ease your AT soreness?

JudyS on 4/14/01 at 00:14 (044532)

Oh Dr. Z I am so unhappy that I haven't been able to get to my computer this week......to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And why were you talking to the message boards instead of being out partying? I think us girls will have to change all that when we come to see you and your Incredible Zap Machine.....
Happy Birthday and many more.....plus many more thanks for all you do here.

Donna M. on 4/10/01 at 22:06 (044221)

Laurie,
I can sympathize with you and know just exactly where you are coming from, and then some! But no matter what, the pain, disgust and anger are the same! :)
My Mother had heart problems in February and was told she couldn't live alone anymore. So, my sister decided my Mother would move in with her.
While my sister got things ready at her home, I was at my Mother's, doing all the packing, cleaning out, getting things ready to store, and all the while having to keep my Mother in a good humor and not get depressed.
After I would pack boxes (to carry to my sister's for my Mother while she stayed there during the move) I would carry them to my SUV, by myself, and load all it would hold. I failed to mention to you that she lives on the 4th floor of the apartment building!! Now all the while my foot is giving me a fit from all the extra wear and tear, but my sister nor anyone else could care!
Also, I live 100 miles from my Mother and sister and would stay there 3-4 days and pack my Mother's things, come home a couple of days and go back. This went on the whole month of February and into March!
Now my Mother and sister are not getting along well and my Mother may be moving in with me!!
If you find a safe bridge to jump off of let me know!! We can hold hands and jump together!! :)

Donna M.

Re: Hey Laurie, how's your foot today??

Valerie S on 4/10/01 at 22:46 (044225)

Just thought you might like it if someone asked... hee hee.

I really can dig your story too... I feel like I am fighting too much with my husband too. He is lucky though: he gets all my frustration because I don't have anyone else to spread it around to... hee hee. I drive him to school every morning, and yesterday he got to listen to me crab at him the whole way there because he decided to go before my 7:00 am PT appt, which I made to accomodate his normal schedule of 9:00am... He is only trying to do what is right, get good grades so he can get a good job and rescue me from my feet... my hero, my whipping-boy. ho hum. I wish I could swallow entire days sometimes.

Try to have a better Wednesday. Remember you are not alone.

Laurie R on 4/11/01 at 03:14 (044235)

Hi Donna,
Ok you won ,your mom story is worse then mine, Your mom wants to move in with you? Oh my goodness when I read that you had to move your mom from the 4 th floor ,my foot was hurting for you. I can so relate to the family thing you have going on right now. I will be looking for that bridge for us...Ha Ha Ha ..Hang in there Donna ,and I hope your feet are not that bad.... The things we do for family......Laurie R

Dear Val,
Thank you for asking about my foot... It hurts tonight ... I think getting so stressed out didn't help with the pain either . I have to learn jus tto let things go ... How are you doing?????

Re: Girls Girls Girls...........

JudyS on 4/11/01 at 11:49 (044254)

NO BRIDGES! Puh-leze! We need you desperately here. This whole webpage would melt without you so NO BRIDGES!
Isn't it strange how those 'days from hell' happen - like a snowball that turns in to an avalanche and leaves you sitting there wondering what the heck happened?
I so understand the taking-care-of-Mom thing. That's pretty much how my PF became chronic - we too had to move my mother-in-law but had to rehab her house and take care of her for a few months before we moved her. I sure didn't mind the work because I was the only one in the family who wasn't working full time but the sorer my feet got the more I resented my sisters-in-law just breezing through on their way to recreational activities! Not to mention our resident teenager acting just like a teenager! However, I only had me to blame for my sore feet! My husband and I were eventually savvy enough to understand that we had to work extra-hard to stay in tune with each other. I empathise, my friends....but no bridges!

rekha.s on 4/11/01 at 12:37 (044257)

Sorry Laurie that you are going thru a rough time. Please hang in there-you will get through this. I can definitely relate because my life is on hold due to possible TTS symptoms in my right foot. I already have bilateral PF. I have waited patiently for months with my stupid hospital Kaiser to get anywhere..

I am pretty frustrated as well as my family are getting sick of me. I am seriously thinking of joining a pain-managment program, and have been practicing progressive muscle relaxation thru this tape i bought. It is really helping with the frustration and anxiety. I would highly recommend it!

By the way, Laurie, you live in the SF bay area right? So do I, in Fremont. In a way I am glad it is gloomy today outside because when its sunny outside it gets me more deprssed knowing people are out and about and I am stuck resting this damn foot...

Laurie R on 4/11/01 at 14:11 (044268)

Hi Rekha,
I thought you lived by me,but I didn't know you lived in Fremont. I live in Hayward,we are about 10 minutes from eash other..Small world. We go to Newpark mall all the time....I can so relate to the family getting sick of us. My family don't even ask anymore how my foot feels..

Also I am so sorry to hear that you have Kaiser ,not that Kaiser is bad ,they are just good for somethings but not soo good for other things....

Does Kaiser have pain managment?? If so that would be a good idea for you to check out. I have followed your story ...I hope you feel better soon...E-mail me anytime if you would like just to talk... angels1108@msn.com

Judy,
I really not looking for a bridge,but it did sound good yesterday .All I did was cry last night and I could not sleep. I finally fell asleep at 2:30 this morning,then I had to get up early with the kids.... I feel much better today .... Thank you for your kind words....

My very best to all. Laurie R

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/11/01 at 18:07 (044282)

Hi,
Guess what it is Dr. Z's Birthday today and I just got home from being called from Jury Duty. Anyway I though I would try to make you laugh. I hope I did.

Beverly on 4/11/01 at 18:22 (044285)

Laurie,

We can't have you jumping off a bridge! I hope you find a way to support your mother and at the same time take care of yourself.

Like most others wrote, I can certainly sympathize with you about family.
Mine has a hard time understanding what bad shape I'm in. I'm sure they get sick of me. My ex, who I am close to, simply refers to my assortment of foot and ankle problems as 'Beverly's ailments.' Somehow, the tone of voice is less than sympathetic.

The most ironic thing I've learned this year is how much TLC was directed my way when I had the flu this past winter. My stopped up, coughing, barely able to breath self was easy to see. But my feet and ankles, well other than occassional swelling, they look perfectly normal. I think it is just hard for people to understand.

Hang in there. This is a good place to vent. I'm having a very down week in the ankle department (now it's also swollen). So, it's easy for me to feel for you.
Take Care,
Beverly

wendyn on 4/11/01 at 20:14 (044305)

Laurie - can't get to the board much anymore - but I thought I'd let you know I can sympathize with your day from hell.....

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Cynthia D on 4/11/01 at 22:36 (044310)

Julie would know what to do. She would have us all take a very deep breath.... and stretch and take care of ourselves right now and not worry so much about others or their reaction or 'assumed' non-caring about our current status of pain. Oh, Beverly, yours was so sad your (our) poor hubbys putting up with us all.... Laurie and Donna's mothers and the active sister-in-laws (We could all grab them and make them get shocked by Dr. Z), Rekah, Rekah, I'm so, so very sorry your issues got compounded, remember we used to talk when all you had was pf, I'm so very sorry and hopeful for you to get a 'quick fix', Dr. Z, too funny, I did laugh at the 'Wizard' having to go to Jury Duty, couldn't you tell them you had to save the world? Wendy's poor shoulder on top of everything else.....

Do you guys need a laugh? Tonight I went to a political fund-raiser, ever searching the room for a chair or an unsuspecting table to lean on.... talking to a very prominent group of political types, I was leaning on the arms of a chair so I could be the height of everyone else..... the chair came out from under me... blond hair flying, chardonnay splattering and splashing, chair scraping, breaths inhaling, me insisting I'm totally fine sitting on the floor, and laughing at myself, all the males in the room, including my adorable hubby running to lift me up, me insisting that not a fingernail got broke, but how is the chair? Thank God my pain went from a constant 8-9 to a sometimes 2-3!!!! Glad to even be dressed up and attending occassional outings. Hope you all have this much fun soon.......

rekha.s on 4/12/01 at 02:09 (044323)

thanks Cynthia...for your caring words....But like Laurie R says, this is the only place we can vent....it is nice to vent and get it out of our systems...and go on with the next few days until the pressure builds up again....its either vent on this board or some other outlet..

I totally laughed at your unfortunate event......oh .....I can totally picture it....too funny....you defintely gave me a laugh...

I am so glad to have this board.....hang in there everyone...remember...there is always tomorrow....

PS: Happy birthday Dr Z!!!!

Re: I totally agree....

Cynthia D on 4/12/01 at 10:31 (044347)

Where would we all be without our pf friends to turn to in good times, as well as bad? This site is a sanity-saver!

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 11:08 (044350)

Julie is in Crete for two weeks.

Beverly on 4/12/01 at 13:33 (044359)

Well, while we're having a bitch fest, I feel especially bitchy and pitiful this morning. My previously mentioned setback looks like it's going to be a doosey. Even worse, I know these Birks are all wrong for achilles tendonitis, but they are the only shoes that feel good to my feet. (Negative heel cup not good for AT)
I'm doing ice, heat, hot soaks, trying out different ankle supports.
And now, my headset has gone out on my telephone! So, in general, I feel yucky this morning.
And I had to listen to one of my best friends bemoaning that she can't quite pull off chin ups despite diligence and a size 4 body weight. Needless to say, I had to work hard at showing sympathy for her 'plight.'
How are you girls this morning?
Beverly

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 16:14 (044374)

Beverly - I join you in the particularly bitchy department today.

I started coming down with a cold Monday. Loaded up on Echinnacea, vitamin C, hot tea, chicken soup and figured I had it beat but yesterday it really settled in. Last night I only slept about 90 minutes total (most of it sitting up in a chair) becuase my nose is so plugged I can't breathe. I have a four day weekend coming up (thank God) and I look like Rudolph.

This is the 3rd nasty cold I've had since September. Number 2 son is in a high school with 2200 kids and he is picking up every germ that any one of them has! Considerate child though, always wants to share, so he brings his bugs home for me.

Beverly - I wanted to thank you for pointing out all the ergonomic concerns. At work - I have one of those trays that sits in front of the monitor so I don't always have to look down so far. I also have a really low desk and a tiny little chair, and a tiny little ergonomic mouse. I don't wear bi-focals (yet) - but recently found out that I am border line for reading glasses at the ripe old age of 32.

I have always wanted one of those phone headsets, I am notorious for spending a long time on the phone. I have one at work that I should start using again (I will start using again) and perhaps this is all good reason to buy one for home.

On the bright side - my shoulder is not perfect but it is 10 times better than it was Monday. I love my physiotherapist.

I basically told her that on Monday. After she cracked my back and massaged the knots out of my neck I said....'Ooooohhh I LIKE you so much.!'

Donna M. on 4/12/01 at 20:55 (044410)

Beverly,
Since I haven't been here long, tell me what is achilles tendonitis and how it feels!! I have PF, but does AT go hand in hand with PF or what? I am asking for a reason. That could be part of my problem and what my other foot may be trying to come down with!! WOW~ someting else to look forward to!!

thanks,

Donna

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 21:11 (044415)

I am certainly in a most foul mood today.

Having to count to 10 so I don't spout profanities at 'Damon' over on the foot surgery board and his comments about being afraid of Canadian airports and doctors.

Well, I had to delete the rest of my note because Scott want's us to be nice. So - I'll go find something else to do.

But - for anyone else who's interested, yes we have running water
we have electricity
we have cars that run on gas
we have doctors who understand modern medicine
we do not live in igloos
it does not snow all year round
and yes
IT PISSES US OFF when people don't know!

Rose L on 4/12/01 at 23:44 (044425)

Hi, Rekhas & Laurie!
I'm also a Bay Area sufferer (Sonoma). I too am with Kaiser. I am getting better treatment at the Santa Rosa facility that I just switched to. I've had some weird symptoms that make me an 'a-typical' plantar fasciitis person. My feet get icy and red...something to do with the sympathetic nervous system over-reacting and possibly creating more pain and hindering healing. I had an appointment with a doctor at Kaiser's pain clinic today and I got incredible treatment. Apparently there's accupressure, accupuncture, bio-feedback, self-hypnosis, etc. available which if nothing else may help preserve my sanity (what's left of it) as this ordeal drags on. Hoping for the best - almost 3 weeks post ESWT Canadian Style!
Let's stay in touch!Rose
Rose

rekha.s on 4/12/01 at 23:50 (044426)

oh my god Wendy, I have been to Canada many times, and it is just like the United States....don't let it get to you.....

by the way, hope your shoulder is doing better....take care

Janet C. on 4/12/01 at 23:56 (044428)

I had the pleasure of driving in a motor home with my husband, two kids, a dog, and I got pregnant along the way, through Canada to Alaska and back many moons ago. I am so glad we made that wonderful, crazy decision when we were younger, healthier, and able to enjoy it. Canada is the most beautiful and CLEAN country with the NICEST people I have EVER come across! Those of us struggling in the trashy, big, angry cities of the U.S. of A. could learn quite a bit about living from our northern neighbor.

I would LOVE to trade places with you, Wendy! But, I don't imagine my suburban home on the outskirts of L.A. would appeal much to you...SIGH!

Laurie R on 4/13/01 at 00:24 (044429)

Hi Rose,
Wow now their is three of us so far from the bay area.... Well their is more I'm sure .... E-mail me Rose if you would like to talk...angels1108@msn.com .......Laurie R

Laurie R on 4/13/01 at 00:28 (044430)

Wendy,
You of all people ,the most sweetest and compassionate and caring ....Don't let one person get to you.I have major PMS this week so I so understand ...Take care Wendy ... Laurie R

wendyn on 4/13/01 at 08:30 (044442)

Thanks guys.

I am somewhat more human today. I got about 4 hours of sleep which is way better than the night before.

My nose is SO sore I can hardly wipe it - and my ears pop every time I swallow. My nose is all swollen and raw. I cannot describe how positively lovely I look!

I am in a better mood today, and thanks for putting up with my crabbing last night.

Glad I thought twice and changed my post - the first one was much worse.

I decided to post about how I felt rather than pass judgement on the other persons's IQ. Very tough to do when your mad.

Anyway - I won't be around till next week - talk to you then.

wendyn on 4/13/01 at 08:38 (044443)

Thanks Janet - I rather like it here too. The cold in the winter I could do with out. We still don't have leaves or flowers or anything - it's just getting to be spring now - so our summers are short. Closer to the coasts it's much nicer by now.

Actually - when you mention friendliness of people....hubby and I were actually shocked a few times when we were in Chicago and Indianpolis recently. Although certainly not all, some of the people we dealt with were SO rude that it bordered on mean.

There certainly seems to be a different level of courtesy expected in general here compared to there. Amazing when you think about it really - that there could be that type of cultural difference between two countries that are so similar.

And - just so no one else points it out - that isn't to say there aren't very rude people in Canada (I have met my share). I'm speaking in real general terms here and I don't mean to insult anyone. Just an observation a lot of people make.

I don't know if it's the size of the city or not - my city has close to a million people so it's not like I'm from a small town.

For those of you who have been in England - what's it like there? Are people fairly friendly and polite?

Nancy N on 4/13/01 at 09:50 (044453)

The people I've met in England and in Ireland were very friendly, easy-going types (perhaps a little more so in Ireland). I would tend to agree that the US does seem to have more of a tendency to be, shall we say, less than pleasant. I notice it in myself sometimes and don't really like it--when you're around your friends, or other people you know, most people here are just fine. But if you go out to a public place like a shopping mall or an airport...it's a different story when you encounter people who don't know you. I think this is true anywhere in the world, but I think we have a little more of it--we're so busy worrying about things that don't matter, rushing around like crazy people with a cell phone in one hand and a palm pilot in the other, having to be connected to everything all the time.

Again, this is obviously a generalization, but I think it's getting to be more and more true. Especially when you consider things like road rage, which are getting out of control in some places. A friend of mine stepped on his brakes to try to get another driver to stop tailgating him a few weeks ago. The next thing he knows, when they're both stopped, the guy comes up and starts yelling at him. I don't remember why he got out of the car (my recollection of the exact chronology is a little sketchy), but he did, and then the guy punched him in the eye. As I recall, this happened more or less in the middle of nowhere--not in a big city by any stretch. Fortunately, my friend had his cell phone and called the cops, but really....punching someone out just because they put their brakes on? How far is the anger in our society going to go??

Kay S on 4/13/01 at 15:18 (044486)

Hi Laurie
I haven't been online all week, and was sorry to read your account of the day from hell. It happens to all of us at one time or another and I'm glad you came here to get it off your chest.
Having chronic pain and all the trouble you have had with trying to get your surgery scheduled, and now this--------it's no wonder you feel like jumping off the bridge. However, remember what my friend told me when I suggested that? She said I'd probably land on my feet, make them worse, and LIVE. So I think you better rethink that bridge thing!
Can your mom go to a rehab place for a couple of weeks after the knee is done? Lots of people do that so they can get their therapy, and insurance pays for it too. Also, who is the parent of these nieces who will help? Is it your brother or sister? Why can't they help out and you can make a schedule for who will be checking on your mom and doing what needs to be done, etc.? I know sometimes the work part doesn't get divvied up evenly in these situations, but there is no way you can do some of the things, and you have to consider your own health and well-being.
This is one of those times when you can't see how you are going to manage, but somehow you will and so will your mom. I'll be glad when you can look back on it and wonder how you got through!
Kay

Kay S on 4/13/01 at 15:51 (044490)

Wendyn
My sisters and mom and I went to Vancouver for a little vacation a couple of years ago, and when I called my husband, I told him that if someone said I'd have to live there, that would be okay with me. It was so gorgeous! We enjoyed every minute of our stay, and I hope to go back there one day.
I am sorry you met rude people in Chicago, but it seems to me that people are getting more selfish and less kind every day, so I guess you just ran into some of that kind!
I live in a very small (or it used to be!) village about 35 miles southwest of the city (Chicago) and now that people are coming to live here from the cities, they want to change the town to make it more 'citified' ------which is the very reason they moved AWAY from the city. I don't get it, but I do notice people going 'in' the 'out' drive at the local grocery store, and the don't seem to think the arrows and signs include them, and mostly it is just a lack of consideration for one's neighbors that has changed over the years.
I'm glad your shoulder is better. I haven't been online until today and didn't know about it until now. This is a really busy week for us Christians!
Happy Easter.
Kay

JudyS on 4/13/01 at 23:47 (044526)

and.......Vancouver Island and it's city of Victoria are quite likely the most beautiful spots in North America! You go Canada! (you too, Wendy!)

JudyS on 4/13/01 at 23:57 (044528)

Well TexBev, I can't join the 'B...'-fest today ( some other day, I'm sure!) but is it OK if I don't like any size 4 person today - or tomorrow, or ever?!? That would be the insecure me asking!
BTW - can you put a bit of a heel pad in those Birks to ease your AT soreness?

JudyS on 4/14/01 at 00:14 (044532)

Oh Dr. Z I am so unhappy that I haven't been able to get to my computer this week......to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And why were you talking to the message boards instead of being out partying? I think us girls will have to change all that when we come to see you and your Incredible Zap Machine.....
Happy Birthday and many more.....plus many more thanks for all you do here.