Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just what is meant by "rest"?

Posted by Lori B. on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044231)

Dr. Zuckerman, alot is written on here about rest being one of the best options for recovery. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean complete put-up-your-feet-and-don't-walk rest? Or does it mean just taking it as easy as possible and staying off your feet as much as possible? For how long? Does it really work? Will it actually cure the pain if the heel is given complete rest, or will the PF return when one returns to normal activity? I've had PF for 7 years, but I have noticed that it has gotten worse in the last 6 months or so. Now I can hardly stand for any length of tiem, and the more I am on my feet the worse it gets. I do have a night splint, but that only seems to help with 'first step' pain in the morning.
I asked these questions somewhere on the post before, but then I couldn't find the post or your answer. Sorry if I am repeating myself. Thanks for your input?

Re: Just what is meant by "rest"?

Dr. Biehler on 4/12/01 at 09:44 (044338)

The amount of rest needed depends on the extent of the injury. The biomechanical cause of the problem must be addressed if it's return is going to be prevented or controled. Dr. B.

Re: Just what is meant by "rest"?

Dr. Biehler on 4/12/01 at 09:44 (044338)

The amount of rest needed depends on the extent of the injury. The biomechanical cause of the problem must be addressed if it's return is going to be prevented or controled. Dr. B.