Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in the heel

Posted by S. Dutta on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044236)

Hello Doctor,
I have been suffering from a terrible pain in my heel (bottom of the heel)
which gets acute when i walk after a long rest, typically early morning or after a long rest. It gets really painful and i find it difficult to make the first step. But once i am walking after that, the pain gradually comes down.
While driving i face this problem often. Once i step out of the car i find it impossible to make the step. Then when i start walking, the pain is less.

This has been going for almost 2 months.

How do i overcome this problem. Please advise. I am 56 years, 6 feet and 75 kilos.

Sincerely,
S.Dutta

Re: Pain in the heel

R.Corcoran on 4/11/01 at 12:34 (044256)

I am experiencing the same problem only I feel the pain is around the edges of my heel. I have been experiencing mine for about 4-6 months now, but I notice that the pain is getting worse as time goes on. It takes longer for movement to alleviate the pain.

Meredith on 4/11/01 at 13:21 (044261)

Yes! I think this is the same pain I am speaking of!

Stacy on 4/12/01 at 14:43 (044365)

I also have the same problem. I get up in the morning, and it hurts to take a walk from the bed to the kitchen. But once on it and in the kitchen it is fine. I notice when Iam on it for a long time walking or standing it starts to hurt.
When I go to bed at night it may not hurt but when I am on the bed for about 30 minutes it does hurt, then it stops.
I have had this pain for about three months. My Doctor said to take Vioxx every other day and it seems to help. Anyone have any other suggestions because the Vioxx is very expensive and my HMO does not cover it.
Thanks........

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/01 at 18:58 (044390)

Hi,

This sounds like classic plantar fasciitis. There is some great information in the pf online heel book. Proper shoes, stretching is tops on my list for starters. There are many people on the site that are, have been in your shoes. So start with the PF Book and let me know what you have learned.

S.Dutta on 4/13/01 at hrmin (044434)

I tried using ice on my heel and next morning it was exteremely painful for me to step. However when i used a hot compress, i found it comfortable. Should i do a hot compress, please suggest.

I am not clear about the footware i should use. Should I go for shoes which have a heavy heel cushion or should i use sneakers. Please advise.

Regards,
S.Dutta

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/01 at 08:40 (044444)

Hi,

This sounds like the heel spur and or plantar fasciitis. Read the heel pain book on stretching. Shoes are very important . You need to wear the shoe at all times. The arch of the shoes needs to be stiff. There are some very good inserts on the product board such as PowerSteps. Very good first line insert for plantar fasciitis and or heel spur. I like heat because it gets blood flowing to the area.

R.Corcoran on 4/11/01 at 12:34 (044256)

I am experiencing the same problem only I feel the pain is around the edges of my heel. I have been experiencing mine for about 4-6 months now, but I notice that the pain is getting worse as time goes on. It takes longer for movement to alleviate the pain.

Meredith on 4/11/01 at 13:21 (044261)

Yes! I think this is the same pain I am speaking of!

Stacy on 4/12/01 at 14:43 (044365)

I also have the same problem. I get up in the morning, and it hurts to take a walk from the bed to the kitchen. But once on it and in the kitchen it is fine. I notice when Iam on it for a long time walking or standing it starts to hurt.
When I go to bed at night it may not hurt but when I am on the bed for about 30 minutes it does hurt, then it stops.
I have had this pain for about three months. My Doctor said to take Vioxx every other day and it seems to help. Anyone have any other suggestions because the Vioxx is very expensive and my HMO does not cover it.
Thanks........

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/01 at 18:58 (044390)

Hi,

This sounds like classic plantar fasciitis. There is some great information in the pf online heel book. Proper shoes, stretching is tops on my list for starters. There are many people on the site that are, have been in your shoes. So start with the PF Book and let me know what you have learned.

S.Dutta on 4/13/01 at hrmin (044434)

I tried using ice on my heel and next morning it was exteremely painful for me to step. However when i used a hot compress, i found it comfortable. Should i do a hot compress, please suggest.

I am not clear about the footware i should use. Should I go for shoes which have a heavy heel cushion or should i use sneakers. Please advise.

Regards,
S.Dutta

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/01 at 08:40 (044444)

Hi,

This sounds like the heel spur and or plantar fasciitis. Read the heel pain book on stretching. Shoes are very important . You need to wear the shoe at all times. The arch of the shoes needs to be stiff. There are some very good inserts on the product board such as PowerSteps. Very good first line insert for plantar fasciitis and or heel spur. I like heat because it gets blood flowing to the area.