Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More Heel Spur....

Posted by Dona on 4/11/01 at 15:37 (044273)

Since receiving a cortisone injection last week, the pain in my foot has decreased dramatically. The remaining problem is that with each step, I get a sharp pain in the bottom of my heel in the area of the spur. Will this pain eventually go away too (with proper foot wear and care)? Naturally, if you discuss this with 5 different people, you get 5 different forms of advice. Someone told me the cortisone can actually dissolve the spur. That's the first I'd heard that one. She also said it might take 2 injections, and I already decided I'll never go thru that again. If it IS the spur, itself, causing this pain and there's no way around it, would ESWT do anything for it, or would surgery be the only way to actually get rid of it? (Keeping my fingers crossed here....) Thanks.
Dona

Re: More Heel Spur....

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/11/01 at 18:15 (044284)

Hi,

The local steriod injections don't dissolve the heel spur calcification. It will reduce the swelling in the local area of pain. This will help to reduce the pain and help to heal the injured area. More then two steriod injections can cause a rupture of the plantar fascia. Now for ESWT, very effective for chronic plantar fasciitis that is painful where it attaches to the bottom of the heel bone. How long have you had this pf problem

Dona on 4/11/01 at 22:26 (044309)

I've had PF in this foot about 5 years ago. Did the stretching exercises and used cushions and didn't have any problems for quite awhile. Started with new pain in October and finally went to an ortho surgeon last week. (Did stretching, ice, and ankle wraps but didn't seem to do much good.) Xrays showed a pretty decent-sized heelspur and there was definite localized pain on palpation. Got the injection last week and it has definitely helped. Down to the localized pain in the bottom of the heel when stepping down on it. I'm trying different heel cushions (with gel) but these don't have the arch support combined, and I think I need the arch support (I have fairly flat feet). I'm happy with the progress, but am wondering about the sharp pain with weight-bearing. While ESWT works well with PF, does it also work on the heel spur? (Stretching doesn't produce any pulling or the tearing feeling that it did with earlier PF.)
Thanks for any info.
Dona

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/01 at 17:50 (044384)

Hi.

ESWT works for insertional plantar fasciitis with or without a heel spur present.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/11/01 at 18:15 (044284)

Hi,

The local steriod injections don't dissolve the heel spur calcification. It will reduce the swelling in the local area of pain. This will help to reduce the pain and help to heal the injured area. More then two steriod injections can cause a rupture of the plantar fascia. Now for ESWT, very effective for chronic plantar fasciitis that is painful where it attaches to the bottom of the heel bone. How long have you had this pf problem

Dona on 4/11/01 at 22:26 (044309)

I've had PF in this foot about 5 years ago. Did the stretching exercises and used cushions and didn't have any problems for quite awhile. Started with new pain in October and finally went to an ortho surgeon last week. (Did stretching, ice, and ankle wraps but didn't seem to do much good.) Xrays showed a pretty decent-sized heelspur and there was definite localized pain on palpation. Got the injection last week and it has definitely helped. Down to the localized pain in the bottom of the heel when stepping down on it. I'm trying different heel cushions (with gel) but these don't have the arch support combined, and I think I need the arch support (I have fairly flat feet). I'm happy with the progress, but am wondering about the sharp pain with weight-bearing. While ESWT works well with PF, does it also work on the heel spur? (Stretching doesn't produce any pulling or the tearing feeling that it did with earlier PF.)
Thanks for any info.
Dona

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/01 at 17:50 (044384)

Hi.

ESWT works for insertional plantar fasciitis with or without a heel spur present.