Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

any information as I count down till The surgery date?

Posted by Tammie on 4/11/01 at hrmin (044288)

Hi I was wondering about the upcoming surgery I have been reading different peoples surgerys, But I get lost sometimes lol ,I have that problem .Well I am getting surgery and Tues the 17, and I must say getting a bit nervous,gosh dont know why? I have not gone for pre op yet they will be calling me for that so I dont know allot, just that he said he will make a small cut on the side of my heel and that I will have a cast(air I think) has not said anything about pain? Said will have crutches,and that I should be able to wear street shoes in about 10 days. Now how long is the recovery rate for normal no complication surgeries? At least a idea would be nice. I thought maybe after the 10 days back to work? I am a nurses aide and on my feet allot and do a lot of lifting of people. I think I am most likely dreaming huh? Well he really did not say and of course my blank ole mind didnt remember to ask that,My D.O.N. at work says figure 6 weeks. Do u think so? How much do u think I will be able to do the first 10 days? I am just trying to prepare myself as I am a person who hates to sit still should I start getting stuff to do while sitting? Will I be able to cook,and stuff/ My kids are worried about that heheheh figures, have there clean clothes and feed them that is what matters to them. Well If any one can give me some answers I would love it, I hate this wondering stuff, You know someone could make a ton of money writing a book about this type of problem. I can not believe how much there is in controversy about this subject. Thanks and more thanks

Re: any information as I count down till The surgery date?

Pam R. on 4/11/01 at 22:51 (044313)

Tammie , I had my surgery for plantar fasciitis/heal spur I had endoscopic. I was out of it that day because of pain pills. The second day, I iced and elevated all day. Only needed one pain pill in the morning and then after that I didn't anymore. By the third ,I was on my own. My husband had to go back to work and my parents had to go home. So I suggest you have someone with you for at least two days. I did not have a cast, and wasn't in that much pain. I was told to walk as tolerated on the third day and when it started to hurt --lay down ice and elevate. This helps the swelling . By the third day I had no swelling. I had my surgery three weeks ago, all the black and blue are gone, the stitches are removed and I even went to Walmart to shop. I'm still careful. If I feel a pain ,I stop and sit down. I try to stay off my feet after 9pm and watch a good movie ,then go to bed. It will take time to totally heal--remember you had surgery--what took six months to develop might take that much time to heal completely . Have patience and follow your doctors orders. Every doctor is different on how they go about this surgery, but you will be fine. I was scared too, but I'm glad I had it done. Read my other posts LOL,((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Re: Thanks Pam!/Question

Tammie on 4/12/01 at 08:30 (044330)

Oh I am happy for u!!!! I hope that this goes the same way!!! Did your Dr. give u a estimated time before you may return to work? I can live with the three days I believe and oh did u make my day when you said shopping at walmart!!!! I LOVE to shop!!!!!!!! My hubby said when the dr. said no mall shopping for a while my face dropped like I lost more then when he said the surgery word lol. So that sounds promising. You never can tell I guess everyone is different so I will hope for the best and if not be prepared to be a big girl and deal with it lol! Gosh I feel like such a kid sometimes lol But not Body wise lol . Thanks again and I will look for your thread>Hugs back to u ! (((((( soft just for u))))))) As I believe u are the one with the fibro darn cant spell it but know what it is another painful thing you poor thing!!!!

BrianG on 4/12/01 at 09:55 (044341)

Hi Tanmmie,

Good luck with your surgery. I think the recovery time will have a lot to do with how long you've had PF. Pam is our resident 'happy feet' person. I wish we could all be so lucky (or so positive :*)
I was out of commission for a month after my scope surgery. This is probably a little longer than most people, but I do know of quite a few folks who had it harder than myself. My doctor was very conservative, and I waited way to long to have the surgery. I think a lot of people are now considering surgery or ESWT, after 6-12 months of conservative treatment. I waited for about 5 years, and thats because my HMO did not want me to have the surgery. Again, good luck

BCG

PS About the pain, if you have a high tolerance, you'll probably be OK with some mild pain meds. If your in a lot of pain now, you may want to make arrangements with your doc for some stronger meds. It's always better to start taking them BEFORE the anesthesia wears off. That way you are not playing catch up with the pain.

Pam R. on 4/12/01 at 14:47 (044366)

Hi Brian, You're right. I had my Pod give me a script for pain medication before I had the surgery. So I took one immediately after Surgery. Don't take any before--remember they will be strong and you're not allowed anything to eat or drink after midnight the day of the surgery. Just take them with you and when you wake up from surgery and you are sitting up talking--then is the time to take the pill. Good Luck . You'll be fine. LOL ((Soft Hugs)) 'Happy Feet' Pam

Re: Question for Brian G.

Cindy on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044367)

Hey Brian.....I notice you mention your recovery was a bit longer....are you okay now? How long since surgery at this point? Are you glad you did it...and was yours scope?....I take it that perhaps your unhappiness with your doctor was that he/she waited so long....hope you didn't have an unsuccessful surgery.....Thanks and Best, Cindy in OK

Damon on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044402)

Hi Tammie, the best advice I can give you is don't rush it. I am a Marine and had surgery in Oct. I was back trying to run in Nov, I only made my condition worse by getting back on it too soon. Now I have a lot of scar tissue where The fascia was cut, I may have to get it removed now. So I say to you wait untill you think you 100% then wait another week or two, It's not worth hurting it again. I hope this helps. Damon

Diana on 4/12/01 at 20:31 (044405)

I had Plantar Fascia partial release surgery and Tarsal Tunnel surgery on my right foot. He put a pain pump in with a minimal amount of pain medicine and I did fine. He gave me Darvocet also and I only took one or two. I had my stitches out in 2 weeks and I am supposed to go back in a month to talk about walking for exercise. I am walking now but with a limp and that in contributing to my back problems I developed along with this foot thing. I have had pain in my feet for 3 and one half years, am 55 years old and work standing on my feet all day. i'm not overweight and tried EVERYTHING and surgery was the last resort. I am keeping my fingers crossed this will work and then will have my other foot done.

Re: Not a happy camper

BrianG on 4/13/01 at 19:56 (044505)

Hi Cindy,

Yes, I finally had the EPF scope surgery 1.5 years ago. I had to find a different Pod for the EPF, as my HMO refused to give me surgery of any type. I was at rope's end, and EPF sounded the best at the time. I had a difficult recovery and to this day, I am still no better. Right now all my hopes are on the ESWT treatment, but I am waiting until it comes to my part of the country, New England. Thanks for your caring questions, I appreciate it.

BCG

Pam R. on 4/11/01 at 22:51 (044313)

Tammie , I had my surgery for plantar fasciitis/heal spur I had endoscopic. I was out of it that day because of pain pills. The second day, I iced and elevated all day. Only needed one pain pill in the morning and then after that I didn't anymore. By the third ,I was on my own. My husband had to go back to work and my parents had to go home. So I suggest you have someone with you for at least two days. I did not have a cast, and wasn't in that much pain. I was told to walk as tolerated on the third day and when it started to hurt --lay down ice and elevate. This helps the swelling . By the third day I had no swelling. I had my surgery three weeks ago, all the black and blue are gone, the stitches are removed and I even went to Walmart to shop. I'm still careful. If I feel a pain ,I stop and sit down. I try to stay off my feet after 9pm and watch a good movie ,then go to bed. It will take time to totally heal--remember you had surgery--what took six months to develop might take that much time to heal completely . Have patience and follow your doctors orders. Every doctor is different on how they go about this surgery, but you will be fine. I was scared too, but I'm glad I had it done. Read my other posts LOL,((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Re: Thanks Pam!/Question

Tammie on 4/12/01 at 08:30 (044330)

Oh I am happy for u!!!! I hope that this goes the same way!!! Did your Dr. give u a estimated time before you may return to work? I can live with the three days I believe and oh did u make my day when you said shopping at walmart!!!! I LOVE to shop!!!!!!!! My hubby said when the dr. said no mall shopping for a while my face dropped like I lost more then when he said the surgery word lol. So that sounds promising. You never can tell I guess everyone is different so I will hope for the best and if not be prepared to be a big girl and deal with it lol! Gosh I feel like such a kid sometimes lol But not Body wise lol . Thanks again and I will look for your thread>Hugs back to u ! (((((( soft just for u))))))) As I believe u are the one with the fibro darn cant spell it but know what it is another painful thing you poor thing!!!!

BrianG on 4/12/01 at 09:55 (044341)

Hi Tanmmie,

Good luck with your surgery. I think the recovery time will have a lot to do with how long you've had PF. Pam is our resident 'happy feet' person. I wish we could all be so lucky (or so positive :*)
I was out of commission for a month after my scope surgery. This is probably a little longer than most people, but I do know of quite a few folks who had it harder than myself. My doctor was very conservative, and I waited way to long to have the surgery. I think a lot of people are now considering surgery or ESWT, after 6-12 months of conservative treatment. I waited for about 5 years, and thats because my HMO did not want me to have the surgery. Again, good luck

BCG

PS About the pain, if you have a high tolerance, you'll probably be OK with some mild pain meds. If your in a lot of pain now, you may want to make arrangements with your doc for some stronger meds. It's always better to start taking them BEFORE the anesthesia wears off. That way you are not playing catch up with the pain.

Pam R. on 4/12/01 at 14:47 (044366)

Hi Brian, You're right. I had my Pod give me a script for pain medication before I had the surgery. So I took one immediately after Surgery. Don't take any before--remember they will be strong and you're not allowed anything to eat or drink after midnight the day of the surgery. Just take them with you and when you wake up from surgery and you are sitting up talking--then is the time to take the pill. Good Luck . You'll be fine. LOL ((Soft Hugs)) 'Happy Feet' Pam

Re: Question for Brian G.

Cindy on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044367)

Hey Brian.....I notice you mention your recovery was a bit longer....are you okay now? How long since surgery at this point? Are you glad you did it...and was yours scope?....I take it that perhaps your unhappiness with your doctor was that he/she waited so long....hope you didn't have an unsuccessful surgery.....Thanks and Best, Cindy in OK

Damon on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044402)

Hi Tammie, the best advice I can give you is don't rush it. I am a Marine and had surgery in Oct. I was back trying to run in Nov, I only made my condition worse by getting back on it too soon. Now I have a lot of scar tissue where The fascia was cut, I may have to get it removed now. So I say to you wait untill you think you 100% then wait another week or two, It's not worth hurting it again. I hope this helps. Damon

Diana on 4/12/01 at 20:31 (044405)

I had Plantar Fascia partial release surgery and Tarsal Tunnel surgery on my right foot. He put a pain pump in with a minimal amount of pain medicine and I did fine. He gave me Darvocet also and I only took one or two. I had my stitches out in 2 weeks and I am supposed to go back in a month to talk about walking for exercise. I am walking now but with a limp and that in contributing to my back problems I developed along with this foot thing. I have had pain in my feet for 3 and one half years, am 55 years old and work standing on my feet all day. i'm not overweight and tried EVERYTHING and surgery was the last resort. I am keeping my fingers crossed this will work and then will have my other foot done.

Re: Not a happy camper

BrianG on 4/13/01 at 19:56 (044505)

Hi Cindy,

Yes, I finally had the EPF scope surgery 1.5 years ago. I had to find a different Pod for the EPF, as my HMO refused to give me surgery of any type. I was at rope's end, and EPF sounded the best at the time. I had a difficult recovery and to this day, I am still no better. Right now all my hopes are on the ESWT treatment, but I am waiting until it comes to my part of the country, New England. Thanks for your caring questions, I appreciate it.

BCG