Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Off topic Epstein Barr-to Beverly

Posted by Colleen on 4/11/01 at 19:56 (044302)

Beverly,

I had Mono when I was 15. I thought that you couldn't get it again. Is Epstein Barr the same thing or is it different? I have been so curious about this. So if you or anyone else could help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Colleen

Re: Off topic Epstein Barr-to Beverly

Beverly on 4/12/01 at 01:02 (044321)

Colleen,

As best I understand it, Epstein Barr is the name for the mono virus. But Epstein Barr is not mono. I know that sounds confusing. Over 90% of all adults carry the mono virus in their system in a dormant fashion. That is because most of us have mono as teenagers. Even if you don't realize you had it. At least that is how my doctor explained it. For reasons no one understands, a small percentage of the population gets that old virus reactivated in adulthood. That is what you call Epstein Barr. I had it my last year of graduate school in my 30's. I was very rundown for months. But I got over it. And thus far, it has never again reared it's ugly head.

There is a debate as to if Epstein Barr and Chronic Fatigue are related. In my own case, I never had CF. I only had a brief spell with Epstein Barr.

I do know that anyone who gets EB needs lots of rest and to reduce stress.

I hope that helps.

Clara on 4/12/01 at 02:33 (044326)

Hi Colleen and Beverly,

Sorry, but I don´t know what Mono and Epstein Barr is? Is it a virus?
Maybe we have another word for it in Sweden. Please, maybe you can explain it to me. Does it have a relation with PF?

Clara

Beverly on 4/12/01 at 13:26 (044358)

Clara,

No, mono is a separate thing... not related to PF. In high school, we called it 'the kissing disease.' Like a really bad flu that lingers. Mono is very common. It's almost a rite of passage for the teen/young adult years.
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/12/01 at 15:34 (044370)

Clara--

Mono's full name is mononucleosis, if that helps.

Re: about mono

Clara on 4/13/01 at 10:38 (044464)

Now I see! My grandfather was a doctor, and I remember he told me that my sister had 'mononukleos', we don´t call it that in Sweden, perhaps it is the latin name of it.
Thanks!
By the way, how are your feet? My feet are worse today and I´m sorry for that, everytime it gets better, I think I´m 'cured', and then it arrives again! Ugh! I hate this PF!!!!!
But, it could had been worse! It is not cancer anyway..! But today I feel like I could had jump out of a bridge!! No, in the matter of fact, I won´t do that!

Clara

Beverly on 4/12/01 at 01:02 (044321)

Colleen,

As best I understand it, Epstein Barr is the name for the mono virus. But Epstein Barr is not mono. I know that sounds confusing. Over 90% of all adults carry the mono virus in their system in a dormant fashion. That is because most of us have mono as teenagers. Even if you don't realize you had it. At least that is how my doctor explained it. For reasons no one understands, a small percentage of the population gets that old virus reactivated in adulthood. That is what you call Epstein Barr. I had it my last year of graduate school in my 30's. I was very rundown for months. But I got over it. And thus far, it has never again reared it's ugly head.

There is a debate as to if Epstein Barr and Chronic Fatigue are related. In my own case, I never had CF. I only had a brief spell with Epstein Barr.

I do know that anyone who gets EB needs lots of rest and to reduce stress.

I hope that helps.

Clara on 4/12/01 at 02:33 (044326)

Hi Colleen and Beverly,

Sorry, but I don´t know what Mono and Epstein Barr is? Is it a virus?
Maybe we have another word for it in Sweden. Please, maybe you can explain it to me. Does it have a relation with PF?

Clara

Beverly on 4/12/01 at 13:26 (044358)

Clara,

No, mono is a separate thing... not related to PF. In high school, we called it 'the kissing disease.' Like a really bad flu that lingers. Mono is very common. It's almost a rite of passage for the teen/young adult years.
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/12/01 at 15:34 (044370)

Clara--

Mono's full name is mononucleosis, if that helps.

Re: about mono

Clara on 4/13/01 at 10:38 (044464)

Now I see! My grandfather was a doctor, and I remember he told me that my sister had 'mononukleos', we don´t call it that in Sweden, perhaps it is the latin name of it.
Thanks!
By the way, how are your feet? My feet are worse today and I´m sorry for that, everytime it gets better, I think I´m 'cured', and then it arrives again! Ugh! I hate this PF!!!!!
But, it could had been worse! It is not cancer anyway..! But today I feel like I could had jump out of a bridge!! No, in the matter of fact, I won´t do that!

Clara