Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in my heel.

Posted by Peter D. on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044387)

After several years on my feet I've developed bumps on the back of my heels. My work requires being on my feet twelve hours a day. The right heel is very sore and sensitive to touch. I've been on anti inflamatory meds but haven't realized much relief. I'm assuming it's some type of spur creating the pain. Is surgery the most common avenue of treatment or are there products one can buy to better treat the symptoms?

Re: Pain in my heel.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/01 at 18:55 (044389)

Hi,

Surgery is the last option for any type of heel pain problem. It sounds like you have calcification of the achilles tendon . Is the pain in the area of the achilles tendon. . Is the pain near the bottom or at the bottom of the heel.? What other treatments have you tried. If this is the achilles tendon then heel cups can help to lift the achilles tendon and remove the stretch of that tendon. You can find them in the local drug store.

Re: Pain in my heel.(Dr. Zuckerman)

Pete D., on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044573)

Dr. Zuckerman,
Thanks for the reply. The pain in my heel is directly in the back of my heel, towards the bottom and is aggravated primarily by stretching in the achilles tendon area. I've had several arch support type inserts which don't seem to help. Have been limping on it for a couple of years but lately the pain stopped me in my tracks. I've stayed of it the last few days, put ice on it and have taken anti inflammatory meds. This helped the soreness and inflamation. I'm going to try the heel cup. That seems like the ligical move.
Thanks again, Pete

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 13:58 (044601)

If the heel cups don't seem to help then ESWT is a very effective option for chronic insertional achilles tendonitis. If you would like additional information about this procedure just call my office @1-856-848-5122 and ask for our informational packet with video. I have performed over 150 ESWT procedures including insertional achilles tendonitis.

Re: Pain in my heel.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/01 at 18:55 (044389)

Hi,

Surgery is the last option for any type of heel pain problem. It sounds like you have calcification of the achilles tendon . Is the pain in the area of the achilles tendon. . Is the pain near the bottom or at the bottom of the heel.? What other treatments have you tried. If this is the achilles tendon then heel cups can help to lift the achilles tendon and remove the stretch of that tendon. You can find them in the local drug store.

Pete D., on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044573)

Dr. Zuckerman,
Thanks for the reply. The pain in my heel is directly in the back of my heel, towards the bottom and is aggravated primarily by stretching in the achilles tendon area. I've had several arch support type inserts which don't seem to help. Have been limping on it for a couple of years but lately the pain stopped me in my tracks. I've stayed of it the last few days, put ice on it and have taken anti inflammatory meds. This helped the soreness and inflamation. I'm going to try the heel cup. That seems like the ligical move.
Thanks again, Pete

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 13:58 (044601)

If the heel cups don't seem to help then ESWT is a very effective option for chronic insertional achilles tendonitis. If you would like additional information about this procedure just call my office @1-856-848-5122 and ask for our informational packet with video. I have performed over 150 ESWT procedures including insertional achilles tendonitis.