Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody had ESWT in Canada or in PA w/Dr. Z?

Posted by Cindy H on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044400)

Hi,

Cindy in Ok here. Sched for surgery this Tues 4-17-01, but kicking around other ideas. I know Dr. Zuckerman says $2,500.00 for their machine w/repeat treatments as necessary. I hear treatments in Canada are around $1,500.00 (maybe Osso Tron) and sometimes less for Orbasone....Anybody experienced with this and from flying away from home (I'm in OK) and getting back safely thru an airport?...Best, Cindy

Re: Anybody had ESWT in Canada or in PA w/Dr. Z?

Damon on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044408)

Are you scared of the airport? I know Canada includes their health care in to their taxes, Are you sure you can even schedule an appointment with a reputable doctor over there?
Damon

GinaC on 4/12/01 at 20:57 (044411)

I went to Toronto twice for Ossatron treatment, receiving one free treatment as part of the Ossatron Gang (who received free 'promotional' treatment via heelspurs.com) and once at my own expense. Basic cost last summer was $1500 American for one foot and $2250 for 2 feet. Unfortunately, I was not helped by this treatment and had surgery 4 weeks ago. As for the airport arrangements, you will have to go thru Canadian customs and you will be asked your reason for entering Canada. You do not want to appear to be trying to participate in the Canadian medical system.
Anyway, my little drama is posted on the Social Support Board under 'Ossatron Gang,' 4/12/01.

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 21:05 (044413)

Damon.

Canada does not include health care in with taxes. It is billed and paid for separately. At least where I live in Canada it is. It is a Provincial responsibility to bill health care - not federal.

A province is like a state.

We have many reputable doctors. Our education system is comparable to yours.

Oh - we don't live in igloos either.

Re: For GinaC - How about your post-OssoTron surgery now?

Cindy H on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044416)

So how are you doing now with 4wks passed on surgery? Was it endoscopic? Spur removal & fasciotomy?....thanks, Cindy

Martha B. on 4/13/01 at 07:10 (044436)

Went to Toronto for my ossatron treatment and had a pleasant experience. Fortunately for me the ossatron was a complete success. As far as a doctor, mine is a sports medicine doctor who just happens to be the team doc for both the Canadian swim and skiing teams! How about that for qualifications?

Re: Surgery results

GinaC on 4/13/01 at 07:20 (044438)

I had open partial PF release, TT release, and spur removal. Am 4 weeks post op and partially weight-bearing, using crutches some of the time. Have not put full weight on the entire foot as yet. Doctor said it would be a long recovery process and it is!

john h on 4/13/01 at 09:43 (044450)

wendy: i hope your education system is little better than ours since we do not rank very high in education in the developed countries. I also hope you do not have the high incidence of school shootings we have. i can assure you our education system has taken a giant step backwards since i was in school and is the major problem facing this nation today for a multitude of reasons.

Diana on 4/13/01 at 09:48 (044452)

I don't understand the difference in Doctors (and I hope mine knows what he's doing). I had what you had done except the spur removal and I was partial weight bearing as I came home from the hospital. After 5 days he said I could do anything I wanted or felt like. I put most of my weight on my foot but still limp. He says now to do mild stretching and come back in a month to talk about exercise walking. I am 2 weeks and 2 days post op and plan to return to work 3 weeks after surgery (standing most of the day in another Dr.'s office). I don't understand how the recuperation is so different. I don't have much pain. Diana

GinaC on 4/13/01 at 10:23 (044461)

I had an open procedure and I believe that is a more invasive procedure than the scope. Also, it seems the spur removal causes some heel pain for a few months afterwards and is probably the reason that my weight-bearing is slower. Was told to do non-weight-bearing stretches and to massage the heel to speed recovery. The doctors really are different: I called the office this morning and was told I may be doing too much/too soon! I need a whole lot more patience (too late for a new doctor now!).

Damon on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044408)

Are you scared of the airport? I know Canada includes their health care in to their taxes, Are you sure you can even schedule an appointment with a reputable doctor over there?
Damon

GinaC on 4/12/01 at 20:57 (044411)

I went to Toronto twice for Ossatron treatment, receiving one free treatment as part of the Ossatron Gang (who received free 'promotional' treatment via heelspurs.com) and once at my own expense. Basic cost last summer was $1500 American for one foot and $2250 for 2 feet. Unfortunately, I was not helped by this treatment and had surgery 4 weeks ago. As for the airport arrangements, you will have to go thru Canadian customs and you will be asked your reason for entering Canada. You do not want to appear to be trying to participate in the Canadian medical system.
Anyway, my little drama is posted on the Social Support Board under 'Ossatron Gang,' 4/12/01.

wendyn on 4/12/01 at 21:05 (044413)

Damon.

Canada does not include health care in with taxes. It is billed and paid for separately. At least where I live in Canada it is. It is a Provincial responsibility to bill health care - not federal.

A province is like a state.

We have many reputable doctors. Our education system is comparable to yours.

Oh - we don't live in igloos either.

Re: For GinaC - How about your post-OssoTron surgery now?

Cindy H on 4/12/01 at hrmin (044416)

So how are you doing now with 4wks passed on surgery? Was it endoscopic? Spur removal & fasciotomy?....thanks, Cindy

Martha B. on 4/13/01 at 07:10 (044436)

Went to Toronto for my ossatron treatment and had a pleasant experience. Fortunately for me the ossatron was a complete success. As far as a doctor, mine is a sports medicine doctor who just happens to be the team doc for both the Canadian swim and skiing teams! How about that for qualifications?

GinaC on 4/13/01 at 07:20 (044438)

I had open partial PF release, TT release, and spur removal. Am 4 weeks post op and partially weight-bearing, using crutches some of the time. Have not put full weight on the entire foot as yet. Doctor said it would be a long recovery process and it is!

john h on 4/13/01 at 09:43 (044450)

wendy: i hope your education system is little better than ours since we do not rank very high in education in the developed countries. I also hope you do not have the high incidence of school shootings we have. i can assure you our education system has taken a giant step backwards since i was in school and is the major problem facing this nation today for a multitude of reasons.

Diana on 4/13/01 at 09:48 (044452)

I don't understand the difference in Doctors (and I hope mine knows what he's doing). I had what you had done except the spur removal and I was partial weight bearing as I came home from the hospital. After 5 days he said I could do anything I wanted or felt like. I put most of my weight on my foot but still limp. He says now to do mild stretching and come back in a month to talk about exercise walking. I am 2 weeks and 2 days post op and plan to return to work 3 weeks after surgery (standing most of the day in another Dr.'s office). I don't understand how the recuperation is so different. I don't have much pain. Diana

GinaC on 4/13/01 at 10:23 (044461)

I had an open procedure and I believe that is a more invasive procedure than the scope. Also, it seems the spur removal causes some heel pain for a few months afterwards and is probably the reason that my weight-bearing is slower. Was told to do non-weight-bearing stretches and to massage the heel to speed recovery. The doctors really are different: I called the office this morning and was told I may be doing too much/too soon! I need a whole lot more patience (too late for a new doctor now!).