Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are there inserts that can fit in Birkenstocks?

Posted by Valerie S on 4/13/01 at hrmin (044460)

Hi.

My custom orthotics are not working for me. They are too hard and too flat in the area where my heel rests on my shoe.

I have 3 pairs of Birkenstocks, which until 8 months ago (when I got PF), were perfect for me because of the nice deep heel cup and the wide toe box. I need the wiggle room for my toes, or I get ingrown toenails. My feet look like they came out of a Flintstone cartoon: short & wide with fat little toes. I have a hard time finding shoes to fit my feet. The only problem with the Birkenstock footbed is that the arches are not high enough. I don't want to sacrifice the stability and support of the deep heel cup, but need more support in my arch. Before I go and spend big bucks on another experiment in orthotic torture, are there any OTC insoles that can be used in combination with the Birk footbed?

Thanks for your time.
Val.

Re: Are there inserts that can fit in Birkenstocks?

Nancy N on 4/13/01 at 10:50 (044466)

Val--

See if you can find a pedorthist in your area--I know the one I have been working with can build up the arch in shoes that won't work with orthotics. Richard has a link on his home page that will let you search for someone in your area. I think that's what I'd do if I were you--it would probably cost less, too. I think there's a link to Richard's page on the board somewhere... if I can't find it, I'll see if I can dig it up and post it for you.

Nancy N on 4/13/01 at 10:50 (044467)

Val--

The link is there, but just in case, Richard's page is at http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SupportSt/metatarsalgia/

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 13:41 (044478)

there is actually a company that makes orthotics built into the birkenstocks. Ask your orthotist or podiatrist if they can do it.

Nancy N on 4/13/01 at 10:50 (044466)

Val--

See if you can find a pedorthist in your area--I know the one I have been working with can build up the arch in shoes that won't work with orthotics. Richard has a link on his home page that will let you search for someone in your area. I think that's what I'd do if I were you--it would probably cost less, too. I think there's a link to Richard's page on the board somewhere... if I can't find it, I'll see if I can dig it up and post it for you.

Nancy N on 4/13/01 at 10:50 (044467)

Val--

The link is there, but just in case, Richard's page is at http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SupportSt/metatarsalgia/

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 13:41 (044478)

there is actually a company that makes orthotics built into the birkenstocks. Ask your orthotist or podiatrist if they can do it.