Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tibial nightmare

Posted by paula gr on 4/13/01 at 11:38 (044471)

dr beiler, thanks for responding , you said lots of people with posterior tibial tendon collapse have been helped. when i search computer i get that if there is pain on outside of foot and ankle then it is advanced, and if it's advanced, not much hope. bone fusions, never walk normally or pain free again, if walk at all . but it's just a very frightened depressed lay person trying to figure it out. what do you guys think? can't walk at this point can't turn feet sideways without pain. both feet. havn't been able to stop crying since i read this a few days ago. imagining life as a cripple in a wheelchair forever. is there statistical data? i go to see foot surgeon tuesday, would be nice to know something concrete, like which operations are the best chances or if rehab is possible without surgery. or if i've just scared the .... out of myself for nothing.

Re: tibial nightmare

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/01 at 12:27 (044474)

Hi,

Yes there are times that fusions for this extremely painful problem are necessary. The only way to determine exactly what procedure is best for you would be an examination by a foot and ankle surgeon.

Dr. Z

paula gr on 4/13/01 at 18:04 (044494)

and the chance of th bone fusion actually working? the statistics? does anyone walk pain free ? is pain on sides of foot and indication of advanced collapse? any facts or info would sure help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 09:02 (044554)

Hi,

Fusion is helpful due to stopping the motion at the joint that are causing foot and ankle pain. In addition it supports the collapse joints and allows better weight bearing and function of that joint .

The rate of sucess which means that the bones do fusion is ver high due to the state of art fusion techniques that are available today.

With any surgery the question of pain free is very subjective. Dramatic pain relief is very possible. The goals and expectations in any type of foot reconstruction is something should and needs to be discussed with the pateints. If you are in servere foot and ankle pain then fusion is a very viable option for you to look into.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/01 at 12:27 (044474)

Hi,

Yes there are times that fusions for this extremely painful problem are necessary. The only way to determine exactly what procedure is best for you would be an examination by a foot and ankle surgeon.

Dr. Z

paula gr on 4/13/01 at 18:04 (044494)

and the chance of th bone fusion actually working? the statistics? does anyone walk pain free ? is pain on sides of foot and indication of advanced collapse? any facts or info would sure help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 09:02 (044554)

Hi,

Fusion is helpful due to stopping the motion at the joint that are causing foot and ankle pain. In addition it supports the collapse joints and allows better weight bearing and function of that joint .

The rate of sucess which means that the bones do fusion is ver high due to the state of art fusion techniques that are available today.

With any surgery the question of pain free is very subjective. Dramatic pain relief is very possible. The goals and expectations in any type of foot reconstruction is something should and needs to be discussed with the pateints. If you are in servere foot and ankle pain then fusion is a very viable option for you to look into.