Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Terrible pain in bottam of feet that extends.......

Posted by Christine La Rock on 4/13/01 at hrmin (044495)

Dear Dr.,
Please help me to figure out what my problem is. I am a 43 yr. old ex-nurse. I am not working anymore so that I can spend more time with my daughter who is 8. I don't think that I would ever be able to go back to work with my feet. If I did I don't know how I would do it. I have been haing this problem for about 3 years now. The pain will start in the arch of my foot right before the heel area. Sometimes it is a stinging, burning sensation and sometimes it is just a real deep ache. It will start after I have been up and around for about an hour or so. This pain will then start in my calves and in the shin areas. It will run on up into the back of my knees. It does not feel at all like it is in the bones of my knees just the deep tissue and flesh in back of my knees. Sometimes it is just such a deep aching feeling that it almost feels like someone has tied a tournique right aboove my knees and just left it there for awhile. It is not a numb feeling just a DEEP ache. It is a bilateral thing and always seems to be equal in pain. By the end of the afternoon I can barely step on my feet they ache so badly along with every bit of my legs from right aboove the knees down to the balls of my feet. Something else that I find is strange is that when that time of the month comes around it seems to be worse. I have been to many doctors and have been put on vioox and celebrex. Motrin 800mg total seems to help the most. The last Dr. I went to told me that he thought I might have Plantar Fasciitis. What do you think. I have read everywhere and have yet to see anyone talking about pain anywhere but in the feet with this condition. What do you think?? Please help me. I sometimes think I might be going nuts or that others think that this is something that I am making up.
Also, if I wear shoes that have a slight wedge my feet won't hurt as badly do I rarely go barefoot. If I do, I instantly feel a pulling in the bottam of my foot in the arch area and the pain starts right away.
PLEASE DOCTOR, HELP ME TO FIGURE THIS OUT.

Sincerely,
Christine La Rock

Re: Terrible pain in bottam of feet that extends.......

Dr. Biehler on 4/13/01 at 21:36 (044513)

One of the possibilities might be over use and strain of muscles and tendons do to improper biomechanics such as not being able to effect enough dorsiflection in the ankle joint. It might help to have all the joints in the foot and ankle checked along with their range of motion. Dr. B.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 23:18 (044524)

You should be evaluated for posterior tibial tendonitis, which is inflammation or partial tearing of the tendon that runs along the back of the leg and to the arch area. Very common to have problems after 40y/o. Also a problem in many people that are over weight. Are you flat footed on that side, more then you remember you were?

Christine LaRock on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044590)

Dear Dr. Biehler,
Thank you for the time you took to read my letter and the time you took to answer. I have made a copy of what you wrote and when I get an appt. with a foot Dr. I will bring it to him (or her) and let them read your suggestion on what it might be.
Thank you again.
Sincerely,
Christine LaRock

Christine LaRock on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044592)

Dear Dr. Reid,
Thank you for taking the time to read my message and the time it took you to write back. I made a copy of your letter and when I find an ortho Dr. I will have them read it to check out what you think it may be. I am not overweight but I have noticed that my feet seem to be a little more flat-footed than they used to be.
Thank you again for your trouble.
Sincerely,
Christine LaRock

CArol D. on 4/15/01 at hrmin (044681)

Dear Doctor,
For the past 3 years I have had terrible pains in my right foot, in front of my heel. I have no heel pain. I sometimes feel a burning sensation that extends to my ankle. My foot is slightly swollen.
I recently visited a podiatrist who took an xray. He said he saw no sign of a heel spur. He applied some support to my arch, which is very high,
but this did not help. PLEASE HELP!

Dr. Biehler on 4/13/01 at 21:36 (044513)

One of the possibilities might be over use and strain of muscles and tendons do to improper biomechanics such as not being able to effect enough dorsiflection in the ankle joint. It might help to have all the joints in the foot and ankle checked along with their range of motion. Dr. B.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 23:18 (044524)

You should be evaluated for posterior tibial tendonitis, which is inflammation or partial tearing of the tendon that runs along the back of the leg and to the arch area. Very common to have problems after 40y/o. Also a problem in many people that are over weight. Are you flat footed on that side, more then you remember you were?

Christine LaRock on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044590)

Dear Dr. Biehler,
Thank you for the time you took to read my letter and the time you took to answer. I have made a copy of what you wrote and when I get an appt. with a foot Dr. I will bring it to him (or her) and let them read your suggestion on what it might be.
Thank you again.
Sincerely,
Christine LaRock

Christine LaRock on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044592)

Dear Dr. Reid,
Thank you for taking the time to read my message and the time it took you to write back. I made a copy of your letter and when I find an ortho Dr. I will have them read it to check out what you think it may be. I am not overweight but I have noticed that my feet seem to be a little more flat-footed than they used to be.
Thank you again for your trouble.
Sincerely,
Christine LaRock

CArol D. on 4/15/01 at hrmin (044681)

Dear Doctor,
For the past 3 years I have had terrible pains in my right foot, in front of my heel. I have no heel pain. I sometimes feel a burning sensation that extends to my ankle. My foot is slightly swollen.
I recently visited a podiatrist who took an xray. He said he saw no sign of a heel spur. He applied some support to my arch, which is very high,
but this did not help. PLEASE HELP!