Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF

Posted by Joe W on 4/13/01 at hrmin (044501)

My POD is recommending EPF, and I'm a little concerned. For about 10 months I underwent conserative treatment- Orthosis, PT, Ice, night splints, two shots, stretching, NSAIDS and rest. The pain has diminished but some days are better than others. I'm still able to function (even run a little), but at diminished capacity which is the problem (I'm a adventure racer/triathlete, and a law enforcement officer).
I know EPF is a last resort, I know about the ossatron. I'm unsure if insurance will cover the ossatron, and there is the increased risk of stress Fx. I've searched the net for more info, but keep finding the same dated information. Are there any current studies about EPF using just the medial 1/3 incision?
I'm praying for the pain to go away in the next several weeks so I can cancel the surgery. Any advice?

Thanks, Joe

Re: EPF

BrianG on 4/13/01 at 19:36 (044504)

Hi Joe,

I had EPF in Sept. of 99. At that time it was a 'last resort' for me also. I'd had PF for about 5 years, and exhausted all other treatments, including months of rest. Unfortunatly, this was before I had heard of ESWT. Because of my insurance, I would probably have the surgery again, but not the EPF. It's been well over a year, with no positive results.

One thing I would advise you to do, is to ask for some referances from your Pod. I didn't, and it was a big mistake. There are other types of surgery avalable, please take the time to check them out as I really don't believe EPF is all it's cracked up to be. Good luck buddy, use those search engines!

BCG

PS Lay off the running until your are healed

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 23:24 (044525)

Hi Joe,

I would consider ESW before EPF. Personally, I don't do EPF, I think its overused and I see a lot of patients who had problems afterwards. I use the OssaTron and have had very good results. We have been getting many insurance companies preapproving it. Even those that initially say no are finally saying yes (not all yet, it seems to be on a case by case basis). The OssaTron has not shown to cause any harm, unlike EPF and open surgery. I have not heard of the increased risk of a stress fracture. One thing I make sure before scheduling my patients is that it is PF and that they were not misdiagnosed!

Joe W on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044540)

My POD has just taken x-rays, and has scheduled me for a MRI next week to ensure it is PF. Anybody in the Easton, Allentown, Bethlehem PA area use the ossatron? My POD gave me some video of the surgery, and it is quite scary.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 08:40 (044542)

Hi,

We are just outside of Phildelphia, Pa . We have been using ESWT, using the orbasone, for the past year in over 150 cases with very effective pain relief results. I agree with Dr. Reid EPF and or any type of plantar releases does carry with it risks that you don't have with foot surgery . Once you have foot surgery you can't turn back the clock . IF you would like additional information including a video you can call my office at 1-856-848-3338 and ask for Jennifer. If there is any specific questions you may have about ESWT don't hesitate to ask.

BrianG on 4/13/01 at 19:36 (044504)

Hi Joe,

I had EPF in Sept. of 99. At that time it was a 'last resort' for me also. I'd had PF for about 5 years, and exhausted all other treatments, including months of rest. Unfortunatly, this was before I had heard of ESWT. Because of my insurance, I would probably have the surgery again, but not the EPF. It's been well over a year, with no positive results.

One thing I would advise you to do, is to ask for some referances from your Pod. I didn't, and it was a big mistake. There are other types of surgery avalable, please take the time to check them out as I really don't believe EPF is all it's cracked up to be. Good luck buddy, use those search engines!

BCG

PS Lay off the running until your are healed

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 23:24 (044525)

Hi Joe,

I would consider ESW before EPF. Personally, I don't do EPF, I think its overused and I see a lot of patients who had problems afterwards. I use the OssaTron and have had very good results. We have been getting many insurance companies preapproving it. Even those that initially say no are finally saying yes (not all yet, it seems to be on a case by case basis). The OssaTron has not shown to cause any harm, unlike EPF and open surgery. I have not heard of the increased risk of a stress fracture. One thing I make sure before scheduling my patients is that it is PF and that they were not misdiagnosed!

Joe W on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044540)

My POD has just taken x-rays, and has scheduled me for a MRI next week to ensure it is PF. Anybody in the Easton, Allentown, Bethlehem PA area use the ossatron? My POD gave me some video of the surgery, and it is quite scary.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 08:40 (044542)

Hi,

We are just outside of Phildelphia, Pa . We have been using ESWT, using the orbasone, for the past year in over 150 cases with very effective pain relief results. I agree with Dr. Reid EPF and or any type of plantar releases does carry with it risks that you don't have with foot surgery . Once you have foot surgery you can't turn back the clock . IF you would like additional information including a video you can call my office at 1-856-848-3338 and ask for Jennifer. If there is any specific questions you may have about ESWT don't hesitate to ask.