Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planterfascia

Posted by Tracey G on 4/13/01 at 23:05 (044519)

Dear Doctors,
I have a concern and I hope I can run it past you. After reading some of the questions and answers on this web site I have the feeling that I have all the pre-surgical symptons for planterfacsia. I have the same symptons that people have before surgery and I've had open-heel surgery twice. All the problems I have now I don't remember having before surgery. My foot hurts more now than before. My heel is numb and the surgeon (2 doctor) cut the blood vessels when he made his incision under& across my arch. I'm worse now than before the surgery. Is there a chance I was mis-diagnosed for planterfascia? The doctor did not run tests, he only did a ultra-sound. He tape my foot once, and put me in an aircast for one week. Please give me some feedback... I've done the P.T for months. Also, if I squeeze my heel the bad is extremely bad. My heel is still swollen. Surgeries were 06/07/00 and 09/12/00.

Re: Planterfascia

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 23:11 (044521)

Tracey,
there is no way to know if you were misdiagnosed without more information. Have you had an MRI since your surgeries? What is your doc's opinion on why you are having pain now? It is possible that the muscles were also damaged. Were you ever casted after surgery?

Tracey G. on 4/14/01 at 01:04 (044535)

Dr. Reid,
I had an MRI in December they said it was normal so my doctor dropped me as a patient. I told his nurse I was in alot of pain and she said 'i guess you have to live with it' and that was that. It's been 10 months since the first surgery. Went to 3rd doctor who told me the damage was permanent, he said I should of came to see him first, he would never had done surgery. He would of given me orthotics(?)and that probably would of done the job. My symtoms are just like pre-surgery, I didnt have these problems before surgery. What could it be? I'm all alone now no doctors at this time. I had to quit my job because I could'nt go back to work with the pain, my doctor released in Jan. if with the pain I was having. Why, don't doctors listen to the patient we know our bodies.
Tracey

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/14/01 at 08:53 (044546)

I don't know why, Tracey, but I've heard your complaint many times before. Nothing makes you feel worse then when your doctor tells you what the last one did wrong after the fact. I think all industries have some that do that. I know contractors do it alot. They think it is going to instill confidence in them, but all it does is piss off the patient. You do need to find someone who is compasionate and will listen and really get a confirming diagnosis. If your pain is PF and not anything due to surgery or a different diagnosis, you may need to start with step one and relook at all different treatment options. Where are you located? When you do find someone, you need to give some history to the office staff before you come in so they schedule ample time for you.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/13/01 at 23:11 (044521)

Tracey,
there is no way to know if you were misdiagnosed without more information. Have you had an MRI since your surgeries? What is your doc's opinion on why you are having pain now? It is possible that the muscles were also damaged. Were you ever casted after surgery?

Tracey G. on 4/14/01 at 01:04 (044535)

Dr. Reid,
I had an MRI in December they said it was normal so my doctor dropped me as a patient. I told his nurse I was in alot of pain and she said 'i guess you have to live with it' and that was that. It's been 10 months since the first surgery. Went to 3rd doctor who told me the damage was permanent, he said I should of came to see him first, he would never had done surgery. He would of given me orthotics(?)and that probably would of done the job. My symtoms are just like pre-surgery, I didnt have these problems before surgery. What could it be? I'm all alone now no doctors at this time. I had to quit my job because I could'nt go back to work with the pain, my doctor released in Jan. if with the pain I was having. Why, don't doctors listen to the patient we know our bodies.
Tracey

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/14/01 at 08:53 (044546)

I don't know why, Tracey, but I've heard your complaint many times before. Nothing makes you feel worse then when your doctor tells you what the last one did wrong after the fact. I think all industries have some that do that. I know contractors do it alot. They think it is going to instill confidence in them, but all it does is piss off the patient. You do need to find someone who is compasionate and will listen and really get a confirming diagnosis. If your pain is PF and not anything due to surgery or a different diagnosis, you may need to start with step one and relook at all different treatment options. Where are you located? When you do find someone, you need to give some history to the office staff before you come in so they schedule ample time for you.