Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Headaches & Orthotics

Posted by Laura M on 4/14/01 at 00:12 (044531)

My doctor recommended a specially cast orthotic set for my PF. I tried twice to work slowly into it. The first time may have been too quickly, even though it was the 'standard' timeline recommended by my doctor. I developed footpain and a severe headache the next day. The second time, I only had them in once for less than half an hour and I developed a headache. I was so discouraged with my lack of progress through therapy and the orthotics that I didn't return to the doctor.

Is it possible that the orthotics caused the headaches? And what can I do now?

Re: Headaches & Orthotics

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 08:57 (044550)

Hi,

i have heard of heachaches from pain, improper walking. I have had patients tell me this also. Now is it true, I am not sure. Assuming that you have no head injury and or neurological problems the way this could happen is that due to improper gait( walking) pattern you drop you shoulder and or head to one side. This will cause muscles and tendons in the head and neck to be over used and thus a possible cause of of spasms and headaches. Another possible reason is you are in pain and the orthosis are not helping and this is a heachache just by itself.

Re: Headaches & Orthotics

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 08:57 (044550)

Hi,

i have heard of heachaches from pain, improper walking. I have had patients tell me this also. Now is it true, I am not sure. Assuming that you have no head injury and or neurological problems the way this could happen is that due to improper gait( walking) pattern you drop you shoulder and or head to one side. This will cause muscles and tendons in the head and neck to be over used and thus a possible cause of of spasms and headaches. Another possible reason is you are in pain and the orthosis are not helping and this is a heachache just by itself.