Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Longer then the 12 weeks.

Posted by Dr Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 09:51 (044561)

I noticed that Nicole from the ossatron group that went to Canada is pain free after ten months of ups and downs pain post-ossatron. I would like to hear from any other patients that it took longer then the typical 12 weeks that the companies and the European literature talk about.

I know that we can only talk about averages and that people will be different and that pf is very patient specific but I would like to hear from other patients.

I do remember very well the severe pain that Nicole reported post-ossatron
It is possible that the healing effects of any high energy TX will cause increased pain and then finally reduction in the end. It is also possible that increased pain post-ESWT could be a very good sign that the intended therapeutic injury done happen. These are just thoughts no scientific proof or research on this area on discussion.

One of the reasons that I am interested in this discussion is that I want to re-think my thinking about low vs high treatments. It is possible that low energy mutltiple treatment may be better. This is the soncur principle of treatment.

With the orbasone I do have the choice and ability to do either low, medium and high ESWT treatment.

Re: Longer then the 12 weeks.

GinaC on 4/14/01 at 12:03 (044582)

Although Nicole had improvement long afer her ossatron treatment, she also rested a great deal during that time due to her pregnancy. So I wonder if it was the ossatron or resting or a combination of the two that produced results after 12 weeks. I waited for over 8 months after my second ossatron treatment and my only result was a new diagnosis of Tarsal Tunnel, in addition to PF.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 13:36 (044598)

It is my opinion that you can't make a clear determine whether the ESWT had any role in the cure of Nicole's pf. It is my understanding that after 12 weeks you can't make the determination that ESWT was the major factor for the pain relief.

Cindy K on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044637)

I had the Ossatron done on both feet in December. The healing process seemed to take forever. Although I felt that the TXmt worked, for the most part, I still had some pretty crummy days. In fact, at my 12 week visit I felt that I had the cure 8-}. My doctor felt that I could try different shoes and even put away my orthotics. I pulled them out of my shoes the day he said that there was no real proof they helped.( I learned a big lesson that week).

Well, after a week of relaps, and feeling pretty sure I was just fooling myself into thinking I was cured, I put the orthotics back into my shoes. Went back to all my previous instructions of wearing a specific shoe. Today, I am amazed at how well I feel. I am convinced that orthotics do help. I am also amazed each day that I am able to walk at a fast pace, without pain. My feet do get tired by the end of my long days, however-it is a different pain-where my heels are not hurting.

I remind myself often, what my pain level was (7-8) and today it ranges between a 0-1....amazing. I can function in my home again, clean house and today I even climbed a ladder to paint the house all day....I could not have done this the past two years. I was also told to start getting on the treadmill, I have not yet made the attempt because I am enjoying myself as a painfree PF survivor.

So, to answer your Question Dr. Zuckerman, I do feel that 12 weeks is crucial and sometimes longer in really acessing the total healing process. Thank you for all your encouragement throughout this health adventure. You kept my spirits high during some of my lowest days post ossatron.

Cindy K.

Re: I took longer than 12 weeks 1st time...2nd time around 10 weeks....

rekha.s on 4/15/01 at 00:57 (044646)

Dr Zuckerman, the first time I got ESWT in may of 2000, I didnt notice imrovement of pain until late Sept or October..which is around 16 weeks...I had a relapse in December, and went for re-treatment in Jan...this time I noticed imrovement much quicker...around march...which is week 10....but recently the pain has gone up again...I guess I am having other nerve symptoms...which dr's think is TTS..so I don't know if that has anything to do with my 2nd outcome..

could it be that the new nerve problems I am having has caused more pf pain? I think if my pf pain gets worse again...I might just opt for surgery this time...because I just don't understand all of this..I try to be so careful and just when I think things are going good....boom...

GinaC on 4/14/01 at 12:03 (044582)

Although Nicole had improvement long afer her ossatron treatment, she also rested a great deal during that time due to her pregnancy. So I wonder if it was the ossatron or resting or a combination of the two that produced results after 12 weeks. I waited for over 8 months after my second ossatron treatment and my only result was a new diagnosis of Tarsal Tunnel, in addition to PF.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/01 at 13:36 (044598)

It is my opinion that you can't make a clear determine whether the ESWT had any role in the cure of Nicole's pf. It is my understanding that after 12 weeks you can't make the determination that ESWT was the major factor for the pain relief.

Cindy K on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044637)

I had the Ossatron done on both feet in December. The healing process seemed to take forever. Although I felt that the TXmt worked, for the most part, I still had some pretty crummy days. In fact, at my 12 week visit I felt that I had the cure 8-}. My doctor felt that I could try different shoes and even put away my orthotics. I pulled them out of my shoes the day he said that there was no real proof they helped.( I learned a big lesson that week).

Well, after a week of relaps, and feeling pretty sure I was just fooling myself into thinking I was cured, I put the orthotics back into my shoes. Went back to all my previous instructions of wearing a specific shoe. Today, I am amazed at how well I feel. I am convinced that orthotics do help. I am also amazed each day that I am able to walk at a fast pace, without pain. My feet do get tired by the end of my long days, however-it is a different pain-where my heels are not hurting.

I remind myself often, what my pain level was (7-8) and today it ranges between a 0-1....amazing. I can function in my home again, clean house and today I even climbed a ladder to paint the house all day....I could not have done this the past two years. I was also told to start getting on the treadmill, I have not yet made the attempt because I am enjoying myself as a painfree PF survivor.

So, to answer your Question Dr. Zuckerman, I do feel that 12 weeks is crucial and sometimes longer in really acessing the total healing process. Thank you for all your encouragement throughout this health adventure. You kept my spirits high during some of my lowest days post ossatron.

Cindy K.

Re: I took longer than 12 weeks 1st time...2nd time around 10 weeks....

rekha.s on 4/15/01 at 00:57 (044646)

Dr Zuckerman, the first time I got ESWT in may of 2000, I didnt notice imrovement of pain until late Sept or October..which is around 16 weeks...I had a relapse in December, and went for re-treatment in Jan...this time I noticed imrovement much quicker...around march...which is week 10....but recently the pain has gone up again...I guess I am having other nerve symptoms...which dr's think is TTS..so I don't know if that has anything to do with my 2nd outcome..

could it be that the new nerve problems I am having has caused more pf pain? I think if my pf pain gets worse again...I might just opt for surgery this time...because I just don't understand all of this..I try to be so careful and just when I think things are going good....boom...