Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis with external rotation of hip

Posted by ewl on 4/14/01 at hrmin (044618)

I've had right heel pain for 5+ years and severe right heel pain for 1+ year (needed a cane to walk). I have lupus, am overweight, used to wear flat shoes (Keds) without arch supports. Always assumed that heel pain was related to having lupus and I would just have to put up with it. Finally visited a podiatrist who diagnosed plantar fasciitis. X-ray showed large bone spur. Have received 3 cortisone injections to date, but little relief. Currently having physical therapy. PT notes that the right hip is externally rotated when I walk. Receiving stretching, mobilization, manual traction to my very tight right hip. Also working on correcting my walking. I now wear Brooks shoes and PowerStep arch supports. I also stretch both hip and heel at home and apply ice to heel often. Get good relief when PT tapes my foot.

My question:

My father (and his father) also has an externally rotated right hip like I do. Seems generic. If so, can my walking REALLY return to normal through stretching of hip and practicing a 'toe in' walk?

Thanks!

Re: plantar fasciitis with external rotation of hip

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 08:16 (044657)

Hi,

If there is serve external rotation of the hip, this can really make the foot turn out and cause severe pronation. I have found that any insert can hold the foot in a better alignment and that there needs to be widening of the heel area with an external orthosis wedge. Do you find severe wearing of your present shoes especially in the inside of the heel

Re: plantar fasciitis with external rotation of hip

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 08:16 (044657)

Hi,

If there is serve external rotation of the hip, this can really make the foot turn out and cause severe pronation. I have found that any insert can hold the foot in a better alignment and that there needs to be widening of the heel area with an external orthosis wedge. Do you find severe wearing of your present shoes especially in the inside of the heel