Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

best ways to deal with stiffness?

Posted by Nancy N on 4/15/01 at 08:14 (044656)

I was on Celebrex from August until one week ago, and one of the best things about it for me was that it helped with the stiffness I feel when I've been off my feet for a while. Now that I've been off it for a week, this problem has returned, and I'm not sure what the best way to tackle it might be. It resolves itself after I've walked a bit, but until then, I feel like I have bricks attached to my feet and can't figure out how to walk with them :)

I'm not sure what non-drug options I have here, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: best ways to deal with stiffness?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 08:18 (044658)

Hi,

All of the regular tips such as stretching heat etc will help. The celebrex is a great drug for relieving the stiffness that you are experiencing.

Nancy N on 4/15/01 at 09:23 (044659)

OK--thanks. Will the stiffness lessen as the PF heals (since I think we are assuming at the moment that it is healing)?

You're right about the celebrex and the stiffness--the first day I took it I noticed a huge improvement. But I don't want to take it for the rest of my life, so I'll have to do something else instead :)

Re: Is this stiffness temprary Dr. Z?

Amy on 4/15/01 at 12:21 (044667)

Hi Nancy. I feel this stiffness as well, not everyday though. I am 6 months post EPF surgery and only the past month have I felt this. I find that if I roll my feet around and point and flex my feet just before getting up from a sitting or lying down position, this brings blood to area and the stiffness goes away. Stretching really helps as well, try to do it several times a day and hold for a count of 30 seconds for it to be of any benefit. Good luck! I would also like to know Dr. Z if this is temporary.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 22:11 (044693)

It is usually will go away over time after pf releases. If you have this problem before the EPF surgery then it might not. Physical therapy is great for your post-pf release surgery. At home is also very helpful. The important aspect is that you are stretching and addressing this stiffness.

If you just hope and let it go then the problem can become very chronic and a problem so stay with the stretching, if your process isn't going fast then get physical therapy help

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 08:18 (044658)

Hi,

All of the regular tips such as stretching heat etc will help. The celebrex is a great drug for relieving the stiffness that you are experiencing.

Nancy N on 4/15/01 at 09:23 (044659)

OK--thanks. Will the stiffness lessen as the PF heals (since I think we are assuming at the moment that it is healing)?

You're right about the celebrex and the stiffness--the first day I took it I noticed a huge improvement. But I don't want to take it for the rest of my life, so I'll have to do something else instead :)

Amy on 4/15/01 at 12:21 (044667)

Hi Nancy. I feel this stiffness as well, not everyday though. I am 6 months post EPF surgery and only the past month have I felt this. I find that if I roll my feet around and point and flex my feet just before getting up from a sitting or lying down position, this brings blood to area and the stiffness goes away. Stretching really helps as well, try to do it several times a day and hold for a count of 30 seconds for it to be of any benefit. Good luck! I would also like to know Dr. Z if this is temporary.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 22:11 (044693)

It is usually will go away over time after pf releases. If you have this problem before the EPF surgery then it might not. Physical therapy is great for your post-pf release surgery. At home is also very helpful. The important aspect is that you are stretching and addressing this stiffness.

If you just hope and let it go then the problem can become very chronic and a problem so stay with the stretching, if your process isn't going fast then get physical therapy help