Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can PF and achilles be zapped at same time?

Posted by Beverly on 4/15/01 at 18:59 (044682)

Can the PF area of my foot and achilles tendon on my ankle be zapped at the same time? I know I may be overly impatient since this achilles pain is new and may subside on it's own, but since I am working towards doing EWST, I was wondering if there is a downside to zapping both at the same time.
Do most of the pods doing the PF area also know how to zap the achilles tendon?

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Can PF and achilles be zapped at same time?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 22:07 (044692)

Hi,

I have done both the achilles and the pf in two cases. The ossatron can't beused for achilles tendonitis at this time. They only applied for PF FDA approval. The orbasone applied for strictly pain management which leaves it up to the doctor to decide where he can use the ESWT treatment. I haven't used ESWT for acute conditions only chronic. Isn't your achilles tendonitis acute. How long have had this condition. In addition you want to only have low energy for Achilles tendonits. I have found that it is better to use low energy.

Beverly on 4/16/01 at 11:14 (044707)

Thanks Dr. Z,

Yes, the achilles tendonitis is brand new. I've had it about two weeks. (I still have not be seen by doc. appt. in two weeks, but that is what it feels like.)

I'm just very impatient for it to go away. It's bad enough to have PF and PTT. I don't want a new problem.

Thank you for clearing up how EWST can be used for achilles tendonitis.

You may have seen my post about my shoe delimma. I tried switching out of my Birks and into my Brooks running shoes so I would have a more elevated heel for the achilles pain. But having the back of the shoe touching my achilles area hurt so much that after a few hours, I couldn't stand wearing them. So, I'm still in my Birks. That is my big worry. The very shoe that helps my PF may be bad for the achilles. Dr. Reid suggested putting a heel lift in my Birks but that does not seem possible with sandals.

And now that I'm having to take a break from stretching due to the achilles pain, I can really feel the PF symptoms coming back with full force. I just hoping the new doctor gives me a PT script. In the meantime, I'm taking it easy and getting that massage you suggested. I tried doing the gentle stretches in hot tub and even that aggrevated my achilles.

With proper rest, ice/heat, and theraputic massage, does achilles tendonitis usually clear up? I have a little swelling in the left ankle but the color looks normal and the swelling is not extreme. I've ordered a compression socklike brace. The one at the drug store felt too tight.
Thanks,
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/16/01 at 11:22 (044708)

Beverly--

I seem to recall Julie posting a while back about how she filled in the heel in her Birks so that they were better for her feet. I don't remember how long ago that was, but you could try a search and see what you can find. She should be back soon, too, I think, so if you can't find anything, she might be able to help.

Re: Re:try this with the heel lift

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/16/01 at 16:31 (044744)

Hi,

Place the heel lift against the foot, next place a nylon knee high stocking to hold the heel lift in place. Now you can wear any shoe etc due to the heel lift being against the heel and held by the stocking.

Get better !

Re: Very Creative, Dr. Z!

Beverly on 4/16/01 at 16:51 (044749)

Dr. Z,

That is very creative. I will look for a heel lift next time I go to the grocery store and try that with knee highs. I've never worn a heel lift, and so I only have a vague picture of what they look like.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/01 at 22:07 (044692)

Hi,

I have done both the achilles and the pf in two cases. The ossatron can't beused for achilles tendonitis at this time. They only applied for PF FDA approval. The orbasone applied for strictly pain management which leaves it up to the doctor to decide where he can use the ESWT treatment. I haven't used ESWT for acute conditions only chronic. Isn't your achilles tendonitis acute. How long have had this condition. In addition you want to only have low energy for Achilles tendonits. I have found that it is better to use low energy.

Beverly on 4/16/01 at 11:14 (044707)

Thanks Dr. Z,

Yes, the achilles tendonitis is brand new. I've had it about two weeks. (I still have not be seen by doc. appt. in two weeks, but that is what it feels like.)

I'm just very impatient for it to go away. It's bad enough to have PF and PTT. I don't want a new problem.

Thank you for clearing up how EWST can be used for achilles tendonitis.

You may have seen my post about my shoe delimma. I tried switching out of my Birks and into my Brooks running shoes so I would have a more elevated heel for the achilles pain. But having the back of the shoe touching my achilles area hurt so much that after a few hours, I couldn't stand wearing them. So, I'm still in my Birks. That is my big worry. The very shoe that helps my PF may be bad for the achilles. Dr. Reid suggested putting a heel lift in my Birks but that does not seem possible with sandals.

And now that I'm having to take a break from stretching due to the achilles pain, I can really feel the PF symptoms coming back with full force. I just hoping the new doctor gives me a PT script. In the meantime, I'm taking it easy and getting that massage you suggested. I tried doing the gentle stretches in hot tub and even that aggrevated my achilles.

With proper rest, ice/heat, and theraputic massage, does achilles tendonitis usually clear up? I have a little swelling in the left ankle but the color looks normal and the swelling is not extreme. I've ordered a compression socklike brace. The one at the drug store felt too tight.
Thanks,
Beverly

Nancy N on 4/16/01 at 11:22 (044708)

Beverly--

I seem to recall Julie posting a while back about how she filled in the heel in her Birks so that they were better for her feet. I don't remember how long ago that was, but you could try a search and see what you can find. She should be back soon, too, I think, so if you can't find anything, she might be able to help.

Re: Re:try this with the heel lift

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/16/01 at 16:31 (044744)

Hi,

Place the heel lift against the foot, next place a nylon knee high stocking to hold the heel lift in place. Now you can wear any shoe etc due to the heel lift being against the heel and held by the stocking.

Get better !

Re: Very Creative, Dr. Z!

Beverly on 4/16/01 at 16:51 (044749)

Dr. Z,

That is very creative. I will look for a heel lift next time I go to the grocery store and try that with knee highs. I've never worn a heel lift, and so I only have a vague picture of what they look like.
Thanks,
Beverly