Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Noreen on 4/16/01 at hrmin (044701)

I am writing this letter to you in hopes that you can give me some insight to this pain that I have been experiencing. Let's begin in the begining. Two years ago, I broke my left tibia/fibia, I currently have a steel rod with two screws above my ankle and one below my knee. Since last Thursday, I have been experiencing terrible pain on the bottom of my heel on my foot. I am very uncomfortable with bearing weight on that heel. I can not walk bear foot at all. You can't see anything, no bruising or swelling. I am confused. Can you help?

Thank you.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Biehler on 4/18/01 at 20:11 (045030)

You might be experiancing pain from a repetative trama injurry as a result of a limb length difference as a sequella to your previous fractures. If so, this can be helped with accomodation. Dr.B.

Noreen L on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045070)

Thank you for responding to my message. I have seen my regular doctor and he said that it is Plantar fasciitis. I am not so sure I agree, the pain is now also going up into my leg. It does not seem to make a difference what shoes I wear. I am really anxious to continue to get on with my life and continue to be active. I am an advid horse rider and I explained to my doctor that I have to have the stirrup for my left left (the one I broke) up one more knotch than the other, which I found to be strange. He did not really respond to that. The other thing that is more prevelent is that my drop foot has gotten worse, I trip going up stairs and if I walk on a grouted floor, I sometimes trip on the groung lines. I wish someone would figure all this out for me. I want to continue with my life and be active, I am only 33 years old.

Dr. Biehler on 4/20/01 at 19:08 (045229)

Compensating for a limb length difference can cause plantar fasciitis. If you are also experiancing a drop foot, the cause should be determined. Both these situations can be accomadatid and probably with orthotics. Dr.B.

Dr. Biehler on 4/18/01 at 20:11 (045030)

You might be experiancing pain from a repetative trama injurry as a result of a limb length difference as a sequella to your previous fractures. If so, this can be helped with accomodation. Dr.B.

Noreen L on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045070)

Thank you for responding to my message. I have seen my regular doctor and he said that it is Plantar fasciitis. I am not so sure I agree, the pain is now also going up into my leg. It does not seem to make a difference what shoes I wear. I am really anxious to continue to get on with my life and continue to be active. I am an advid horse rider and I explained to my doctor that I have to have the stirrup for my left left (the one I broke) up one more knotch than the other, which I found to be strange. He did not really respond to that. The other thing that is more prevelent is that my drop foot has gotten worse, I trip going up stairs and if I walk on a grouted floor, I sometimes trip on the groung lines. I wish someone would figure all this out for me. I want to continue with my life and be active, I am only 33 years old.

Dr. Biehler on 4/20/01 at 19:08 (045229)

Compensating for a limb length difference can cause plantar fasciitis. If you are also experiancing a drop foot, the cause should be determined. Both these situations can be accomadatid and probably with orthotics. Dr.B.