Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When to know to have the surgery?

Posted by Paula G. on 4/16/01 at hrmin (044716)

I had my MRI done last Wednesday and hope to hear something sometime this week as to the results.
What my question is: When do you know if surgery will work for you? Maybe this is another million dollar question I don't know. I cannot stand to bear weight anymore and the only way I have relief is to not walk. Which, that is impossible! As the day wears on the pain gets so much worse that I feel I am going nuts.....
Indeed having PF and heel spurs bilaterally, and trying everything with nothing working. As in cortizone injections, NO medications seem to do anything to help, orthotics, the night splints help when I get up but that is only temporary. I have new shoes, but still just cannot stand to stand or walk.
I have read the PF Book that is on line. I also know this is a very slow process. I was diagnosed with heel spurs and PF about 13 months ago and things are only worse..

Re: When to know to have the surgery?

P. Ann on 4/16/01 at 23:14 (044781)

Paula,
Have you had PT? Have you looked into ESWT? I had similar problems, but I had a spur that was nearly 3/4' long. I had spur removal and PF surgery in March and though I am slower to heal than most of my Doc's other patients, I don't regret it. I am doing well, I am not able to walk with full weight yet, but I have the luxury of not having to hurry back to work, so I am not pushing it either. Like everyone who posts on here, everycase is different. I am slower than most in my healing process, but I am healing. You might want to explore all of your options, such as ESWT or PT or even surgery. If you are incapacitated then you may have to consider surgery or ESWT. Just be sure to get as much info as possible before you do anything. Also, it helps if you trust your doctor(but I'd still get a second opinion before you make a major decision). I wish you well. I hope your MRI brings you good results.
P. Ann

Re: When to know to have the surgery?

P. Ann on 4/16/01 at 23:14 (044781)

Paula,
Have you had PT? Have you looked into ESWT? I had similar problems, but I had a spur that was nearly 3/4' long. I had spur removal and PF surgery in March and though I am slower to heal than most of my Doc's other patients, I don't regret it. I am doing well, I am not able to walk with full weight yet, but I have the luxury of not having to hurry back to work, so I am not pushing it either. Like everyone who posts on here, everycase is different. I am slower than most in my healing process, but I am healing. You might want to explore all of your options, such as ESWT or PT or even surgery. If you are incapacitated then you may have to consider surgery or ESWT. Just be sure to get as much info as possible before you do anything. Also, it helps if you trust your doctor(but I'd still get a second opinion before you make a major decision). I wish you well. I hope your MRI brings you good results.
P. Ann