Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

60 Days Post Op

Posted by Scott2 on 4/16/01 at 12:49 (044721)

Hello All,

Hope all of you had a nice Easter. I visited my Podiatrist this past Friday and it indeed turned out to be 'Good':

Surgery: Feb 16, 2001
What was done: PF Release and Distal Tarsal Tunnel Release
Sex: Male
Weight: 205 lbs - ok 206 lbs
No prior medical conditions - good health
Goal: To return to competing in triathlons

Doctor said everything is looking good. Heel is still a little sore to the touch from PF Release. I did not have any pain to the touch prior to surgery on the heel (just pain) - Doctor felt it was probably because the nerve was entrapped so much that it was blocking off sensation. No tingling sensations at all when tapping along the scar area/inside of foot.

Overall, the Doctor said I am about where I should be for almost 8 weeks after surgery. Pain in the heel from the PF Release and a sore arch is normal according to him.

Arch/Medial area of foot fatigues pretty quickly when wearing shoes. Wearing New Balance 1120 (stability shoe made for heavy runners that have low to flat arches). Finding the right shoe is a major challenge.

SIDE BAR: Find the right shoe at all costs - it's worth it. I tried many combinations and read some of the archives as there were thousands about shoes. The 1120 New Balance (now the 1121), sells for just over $100 and comes in variable widths. Note, I do not work for New Balance.

I am having a few problems with plantar fascitis in the non-surgical foot and have found that wearing an arch brace ($15) and the running shoe eliminates the pain. The $300 custom orthotics I had made prior to surgery have done nothing for me in either foot. I want a refund!

I have not gone to any PT for rehab. I stretch my foot every morning and throughout the day. I swim 2-3x per week and do laps with kicking and using a kickboard. Also do heel raises everday. About two weeks ago I started cycling outdoors and did a 35-mile ride with no pain in the foot this past Saturday - just stiff. Prior to that, I was riding a recumbent bike indoors. Ice the foot every night and more than once on weekends.

Doctor recommended that if I am feeling up to it to do a brisk walk in the evening. I will probably try this at the end of the week. I did do a short walk while shopping at the Mall this past weekend and was sore from fatique not pain.

I know everyone's situation is different, but I feel I am going to get back to where I was - it will just take time. Keep searching for answers and don't give up. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Re: 60 Days Post Op

Chad H on 4/16/01 at 12:57 (044723)

Scott,

That sounds great. You really seem to be on the right track! Obviously, with your previous activities, you are use to stretching and working out. Don't let up on this, this is a critical part to long term success with TTS. Keep us posted!

GinaC on 4/16/01 at 16:39 (044746)

I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well, especially as I was starting to get discouraged after PF release, TT releases and heelspur removal on 3/15. Am starting to walk heel-toe on crutches, to be followed by full weightbearing. Continue to have heel pain. But after reading your post, I feel maybe I am on the way to somewhere better, but just too impatient at 5 weeks. Thank you greatly for the encouragement. I'm sure you'll be running one of these days. I swam before surgery and am back to the pool - it's wonderful to use your whole body and feel like yourself again. Best of luck in your continued recovery. Gina

Pam R. on 4/17/01 at 09:49 (044809)

I'm happy for you too Scott. I know how much running and being active means to you. I was at the gym three times a week and walked 10 miles a day. Then I was hit by Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique. I still exercise(of course I'm 3 weeks post-op of PF release) I did exercise everyday before foot surgery-but never again to the extent I use to. I love to swim and I can't wait for the pool to open up. I'm not use to waiting since I grew up in Miami and the ocean was only blocks away, but now I'm in the hills of Georgia ,so I have to wait until Summer comes. And Gina, don't get frustrated. Think of me when you do. Even though I'm totally weight-bearing and able to use regular shoes and walk the malls, my fatique won't let me. And I'm having a Flair-up because of surgery. Any thing that puts stress on the body will give a person with FM/CFS, these results. So take that time you need to heal and learn to play the keyboard. That's what I did. Well, it's one of those days I could go on and on. My Mom always told me ,when I wasn't feeling well, I liked to talk alot. She's right! Well, the very best to all. ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Scott2 on 4/17/01 at 12:38 (044836)

Gina,

Hang in there. Though the surgery seems minor in being an 'outpatient' what you had done takes a long time to get better. It's not until we have something like this done or sprain an ankle that we realize how much stress your foot has to endure to just stand up.

I was definitely down in the begginning and was really frustrated with my progress. My foot is still sore, but it's from fatigue and building back it up to where it was - not just before surgery - but over a year.

You have to really work at your rehab and take extra care to make sure you are doing all of the right things. The pool is great therapy isn't it? Hang in there. It will get better.

Chad H on 4/16/01 at 12:57 (044723)

Scott,

That sounds great. You really seem to be on the right track! Obviously, with your previous activities, you are use to stretching and working out. Don't let up on this, this is a critical part to long term success with TTS. Keep us posted!

GinaC on 4/16/01 at 16:39 (044746)

I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well, especially as I was starting to get discouraged after PF release, TT releases and heelspur removal on 3/15. Am starting to walk heel-toe on crutches, to be followed by full weightbearing. Continue to have heel pain. But after reading your post, I feel maybe I am on the way to somewhere better, but just too impatient at 5 weeks. Thank you greatly for the encouragement. I'm sure you'll be running one of these days. I swam before surgery and am back to the pool - it's wonderful to use your whole body and feel like yourself again. Best of luck in your continued recovery. Gina

Pam R. on 4/17/01 at 09:49 (044809)

I'm happy for you too Scott. I know how much running and being active means to you. I was at the gym three times a week and walked 10 miles a day. Then I was hit by Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique. I still exercise(of course I'm 3 weeks post-op of PF release) I did exercise everyday before foot surgery-but never again to the extent I use to. I love to swim and I can't wait for the pool to open up. I'm not use to waiting since I grew up in Miami and the ocean was only blocks away, but now I'm in the hills of Georgia ,so I have to wait until Summer comes. And Gina, don't get frustrated. Think of me when you do. Even though I'm totally weight-bearing and able to use regular shoes and walk the malls, my fatique won't let me. And I'm having a Flair-up because of surgery. Any thing that puts stress on the body will give a person with FM/CFS, these results. So take that time you need to heal and learn to play the keyboard. That's what I did. Well, it's one of those days I could go on and on. My Mom always told me ,when I wasn't feeling well, I liked to talk alot. She's right! Well, the very best to all. ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Scott2 on 4/17/01 at 12:38 (044836)

Gina,

Hang in there. Though the surgery seems minor in being an 'outpatient' what you had done takes a long time to get better. It's not until we have something like this done or sprain an ankle that we realize how much stress your foot has to endure to just stand up.

I was definitely down in the begginning and was really frustrated with my progress. My foot is still sore, but it's from fatigue and building back it up to where it was - not just before surgery - but over a year.

You have to really work at your rehab and take extra care to make sure you are doing all of the right things. The pool is great therapy isn't it? Hang in there. It will get better.