Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT People:Steve;Beth;Rose; and Cynthia

Posted by Sherrie M. on 4/16/01 at 14:26 (044733)

Hi everyone, How is the progress so far? I haven't really noticed since my left foot started acting up with pf, ofcoarse! It's still hard to get around, the crutches help somewhat, sometimes crawling works even better but my knees hurt! Since I posted last, I started pt 3 times a week, I had my first appt. last Wed. when I got home I fell asleep, when I woke up I noticed that the back of my heel hurt, (achilles tendonitis). The therapist said since I am so stiff and the flexibility is gone just the slightest bit of exercise has irritated the achilles, by the way the left one started hurting the next day! I can't win,I know I have to stretch and try to get the flexibility back but it sure is discouraging that this has created a new problem! I will just have to deal with it, in hopes that all of this pain will soon subside. I think at this point if the pain would subside to where I could walk on the foot again I would be happy. Over the weekend I think I contracted some sort of virus, I hurt all over my body, inmy joints, muscles, and tendons! I am miserable, I am going to my family doctor sometime this week if it doesn't go away in a few days, I don't know how much more I can take, I shouldn't say that something else will happen. Well after my sad story, how is everyone else doing? Any inprovement, and when do you guy see Dr. Z again, did he say how long until he thinks you will need another treatment? Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks for the e-mail Steve, I needed that the other day. Just to know I am not alone is such a comfort, as my friends don't understand the ESWT treatments at all, they have't been much support not like when I had the surgery last Aug. , they all cooked dinners and came over to cheer me up but not now they think I'm crazy. Sherrie

Re: ESWT People:Steve;Beth;Rose; and Cynthia

Beth D. on 4/16/01 at 16:31 (044745)

Hi Sherrie,

You're not crazy! Get some heat and eat things for your dinners...maybe some chicken soup if you're feeling achy. I'm better today. I started icing and stopped stretching on the advice of Dr. Z. I also massaged my calf, read a book, had a cup of tea....I'm so glad the weather is getting better here in northern PA-the kids like going out to find worms(big fishermen I'm raising), jump rope, etc. I get more time to rest.

Is there any way you can get to a pool? If you could do movement in the water it might help your flexibiliy. My water therapy bible is called: The Complete Water Power Workout Book by Lynda Huey and Rob Forester. I bought it from Amazon and have found it very helpful. It gives you rehab programs, fitness programs, and is encouraging.

Take Care,

Beth

Rose L on 4/16/01 at 18:03 (044762)

Hi, Sherrie -
Thanks for posting. I'm 3 weeks post ESWT and terribly inflamed/sore. I'm just walking short distances around my house in birks on soft carpet. Anything else is just pointless torture. I've lost track of your story. When did you have ESWT. Hopefully you're still in the healing time frame. Best to you. Rose

Steve P on 4/16/01 at 19:12 (044770)

Hi Sherry --- We're all here! I'm 3 weeks post ESWT & have no change to report so far. I never had any soreness or other after-effects from the treatment, nor have I had any improvement. But it's only 3 weeks!

I'll soon be going back to Dr. Z for a 2nd treatment on the original foot & the 1st on the other foot.

Hang in there! ........Steve

Cynthia D on 4/17/01 at 05:33 (044789)

Hi Sherry: When you say you have the Achilles problem, I immediately think of Beverly, who I just read cannot stretch it for the time being. I don't know much about Achilles tendons, but I know I am very timid on my stretching, very gentle, and not very often. I think this period is needed for healing, not rehabbing right now. Just my two cents.

And your comment about explaining ESWT to your friends made me laugh so hard, it's so true! I've gotten a few cards and a couple of flowers, but if I had 'traditional' surgery, the house would look like a wedding or a funeral! I found over several weeks that the most simple explanation works best, people just don't 'get it'.

As for progress, still good, knock on wood. I overdid it Easter Sunday wearing regular shoes like an idiot, so I'm back to a 2-3 instead of a 0-1 pain-wise, but it's still a lot better than a 8-10 that I was!! I hope you feel better today.

Beth D. on 4/16/01 at 16:31 (044745)

Hi Sherrie,

You're not crazy! Get some heat and eat things for your dinners...maybe some chicken soup if you're feeling achy. I'm better today. I started icing and stopped stretching on the advice of Dr. Z. I also massaged my calf, read a book, had a cup of tea....I'm so glad the weather is getting better here in northern PA-the kids like going out to find worms(big fishermen I'm raising), jump rope, etc. I get more time to rest.

Is there any way you can get to a pool? If you could do movement in the water it might help your flexibiliy. My water therapy bible is called: The Complete Water Power Workout Book by Lynda Huey and Rob Forester. I bought it from Amazon and have found it very helpful. It gives you rehab programs, fitness programs, and is encouraging.

Take Care,

Beth

Rose L on 4/16/01 at 18:03 (044762)

Hi, Sherrie -
Thanks for posting. I'm 3 weeks post ESWT and terribly inflamed/sore. I'm just walking short distances around my house in birks on soft carpet. Anything else is just pointless torture. I've lost track of your story. When did you have ESWT. Hopefully you're still in the healing time frame. Best to you. Rose

Steve P on 4/16/01 at 19:12 (044770)

Hi Sherry --- We're all here! I'm 3 weeks post ESWT & have no change to report so far. I never had any soreness or other after-effects from the treatment, nor have I had any improvement. But it's only 3 weeks!

I'll soon be going back to Dr. Z for a 2nd treatment on the original foot & the 1st on the other foot.

Hang in there! ........Steve

Cynthia D on 4/17/01 at 05:33 (044789)

Hi Sherry: When you say you have the Achilles problem, I immediately think of Beverly, who I just read cannot stretch it for the time being. I don't know much about Achilles tendons, but I know I am very timid on my stretching, very gentle, and not very often. I think this period is needed for healing, not rehabbing right now. Just my two cents.

And your comment about explaining ESWT to your friends made me laugh so hard, it's so true! I've gotten a few cards and a couple of flowers, but if I had 'traditional' surgery, the house would look like a wedding or a funeral! I found over several weeks that the most simple explanation works best, people just don't 'get it'.

As for progress, still good, knock on wood. I overdid it Easter Sunday wearing regular shoes like an idiot, so I'm back to a 2-3 instead of a 0-1 pain-wise, but it's still a lot better than a 8-10 that I was!! I hope you feel better today.