Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post op day 7

Posted by Jen on 4/16/01 at 16:02 (044741)

Hi all,
This morning I went to the ortho to finally get the half cast off. I have 11 stiches, small amount of bruising along incision line, and barely any swelling. All week, I elevated and iced for the whole day with exception of bathroom breaks. It was tough, but I endured with visitors and naps. I took Motrin 800 mg 3x/day along with 2-3 Vicodin a day. When i was laying down all week, I stretched my toes, rotated my ankle as much as I could and massaged my non surgical foot to keep it from becoming more inflamed. Today, my leg was wrapped in an ace wrap, stiches still on for 2 more weeks, and a walking boot was applied, which is great because I can take it off for massage and icing. Today was the worst as far as pain right after the appt. due to stretching and range of motion at his office. I took my meds and iced and elevated and the pain has gone. What a feeling to clean and massage my leg and part of foot!! I am still to use crutches for one more week with partial wgt bearing with boot and go back in 2 weeks. I start PT in one week. I feel that my plantar tendon is also markedly reduced. It used to pop out with flexion and now it seems 'loose' I am so positive today and want to let you all know there is hope for us. Marathon monday today in Boston...It's hard to watch, seeing that's how this all started for me in '98 :( I'm going to keep resting, elevatin, icing and stretching with massage this week and anxiously await PT to really start the rehab process. Thank you all for your support

Jen

Re: post op day 7

Pam R. on 4/16/01 at 22:24 (044778)

I'm so glad you are doing well. It must be great to have that cast off. Remember to keep icing. It really helps--in fact, that is what I'm doing now. It's been 3 weeks for me and even though I have my stitches out and wearing regular shoes, by the evening my foot starts to ache a little , so I still ice it. I see my Pod tomorrow, so I'll post again in a few days. You're doing good,Jen. LOL ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Susan U on 4/17/01 at 10:51 (044818)

Hi Jen. It still amazes me how different dr. treat this operation. I had my surgery last Wed. (4/11). He told me I can walk on it right away. I was wrapped in cotton padding and an ace bandage--no cast. I walk with a walker and put as much weight on it as I want to. Yesterday I even took one step without the walker. I had my knee done at the same time. I think I'm doing great. I go to see my dr. next Wed. (4/25) to have the stitches removed and to get more instructions. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Jen on 4/17/01 at 11:16 (044823)

That is amazing!! I was actually wrapped in cotton padding with hard cast around the incision and ace wrap too the first week. Now just the ace and boot. I also have a walker that is very helpful and today was able to have much more balance on surgical foot. Any pain with full step? Good luck

Susan U on 4/17/01 at 11:59 (044828)

No, not really any pain. It stings more than anything. I have been stretching my foot since the second day after surgery--just pointing the toe as straight as I can and then pull up the same amount. I wiggle my toes and scrunch them up alot too. It is so much better than I ever thought it would be. My first ortho surgeon said I would be non-weight bearing 2-4 weeks! This dr. said to walk whenever I want to and as much as I want too. Sure glad I went with him! I do keep it elevated (I sit in a recliner chair) and I ice it quite a lot. Yesterday and today I have kept it down more so I can stretch the knee since I had that done also. I will keep in touch when I can. Let us know how you're doing.

Pam R. on 4/16/01 at 22:24 (044778)

I'm so glad you are doing well. It must be great to have that cast off. Remember to keep icing. It really helps--in fact, that is what I'm doing now. It's been 3 weeks for me and even though I have my stitches out and wearing regular shoes, by the evening my foot starts to ache a little , so I still ice it. I see my Pod tomorrow, so I'll post again in a few days. You're doing good,Jen. LOL ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Susan U on 4/17/01 at 10:51 (044818)

Hi Jen. It still amazes me how different dr. treat this operation. I had my surgery last Wed. (4/11). He told me I can walk on it right away. I was wrapped in cotton padding and an ace bandage--no cast. I walk with a walker and put as much weight on it as I want to. Yesterday I even took one step without the walker. I had my knee done at the same time. I think I'm doing great. I go to see my dr. next Wed. (4/25) to have the stitches removed and to get more instructions. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Jen on 4/17/01 at 11:16 (044823)

That is amazing!! I was actually wrapped in cotton padding with hard cast around the incision and ace wrap too the first week. Now just the ace and boot. I also have a walker that is very helpful and today was able to have much more balance on surgical foot. Any pain with full step? Good luck

Susan U on 4/17/01 at 11:59 (044828)

No, not really any pain. It stings more than anything. I have been stretching my foot since the second day after surgery--just pointing the toe as straight as I can and then pull up the same amount. I wiggle my toes and scrunch them up alot too. It is so much better than I ever thought it would be. My first ortho surgeon said I would be non-weight bearing 2-4 weeks! This dr. said to walk whenever I want to and as much as I want too. Sure glad I went with him! I do keep it elevated (I sit in a recliner chair) and I ice it quite a lot. Yesterday and today I have kept it down more so I can stretch the knee since I had that done also. I will keep in touch when I can. Let us know how you're doing.