Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

extensive foot surgery 8 months ago and still hurting

Posted by Dotty W. on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044792)

I had a bunionectomy, three toes fused with pins and two neuromas removed 8 months ago. Still hurts to walk and the big toe is heading back in the same direction it was before. Looks like a bunion is forming again. Am wearing SAS shoes size wide on the right foot and medium on the left. Wear square toed regular shoes to work. Have orthotics. The second fused toe is smaller than the one on the other foot and it hurts underneath when I walk. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel that something is not right. Would appreciate hearing from you all.

Re: extensive foot surgery 8 months ago and still hurting

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 10:08 (044811)

Hi,

You have had alot of foot done. The pain on the bottom could still be from the healing from the surgical excision of the neuroma. You could have a decrease in the thickness in the fat padding. You could have a problem with the metatarsal heads. Give your doctor a call and have him x-ray and examination you. The fusion usually will help the pain on the bottom of your feet.

Dotty W. on 4/17/01 at 18:16 (044877)

Thanks for the comments. Went for a second opinion today. Took Xrays. Bad news. The big toe is definitely out of line and forming another bunion. The second toe is completely dislocated no wonder it hurt so much. The third toe is not dislocated but also not in line. I had pins in all three for 6 weeks. The surgery involved cutting a wedge from the bone and then straigtening. Was in a wheel chair and using a walker 2-3 months. The new doctor suggests resurgery and fuse completely the big toe so it doesn't move and fix the dislocated toe and straighten with pins again. The only part of my foot that doesn't hurt is where I had neuroma. Can't stand the thought of going thru all this again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 18:53 (044886)

Wow ,

Sorry to hear this. I now can understand why so much foot pain. Any reason why the dislocation of the less mpj's

Dotty W. on 4/18/01 at 06:01 (044923)

The doc said he thought the dislocation was due to the big toe pushing on the second toe. Not so sure. The big toe hasn't come over that far yet. I think the second toe has been dislocated for some time. My doctor didn't take an X-ray the last time I saw him in December when he saw the big toe had started to go back over. i feel like I followed the directions of my doctor. Don't know whether i wore wrong shoes after i was allowed to walk. No real information was given or sources for where to buy right kind of shoes. Just told wear shoes with wide toe box preferably lace up. I scoured the shoe stores for what I thought would be shoes with a wide toe box. Bought two pairs of shoes a wide width for the bad foot. Had plenty of wiggle room. Wearing orthotics most of the time. What went wrong? Wish meds would send us to the sources for the right shoes if thats the problem.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 10:08 (044811)

Hi,

You have had alot of foot done. The pain on the bottom could still be from the healing from the surgical excision of the neuroma. You could have a decrease in the thickness in the fat padding. You could have a problem with the metatarsal heads. Give your doctor a call and have him x-ray and examination you. The fusion usually will help the pain on the bottom of your feet.

Dotty W. on 4/17/01 at 18:16 (044877)

Thanks for the comments. Went for a second opinion today. Took Xrays. Bad news. The big toe is definitely out of line and forming another bunion. The second toe is completely dislocated no wonder it hurt so much. The third toe is not dislocated but also not in line. I had pins in all three for 6 weeks. The surgery involved cutting a wedge from the bone and then straigtening. Was in a wheel chair and using a walker 2-3 months. The new doctor suggests resurgery and fuse completely the big toe so it doesn't move and fix the dislocated toe and straighten with pins again. The only part of my foot that doesn't hurt is where I had neuroma. Can't stand the thought of going thru all this again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 18:53 (044886)

Wow ,

Sorry to hear this. I now can understand why so much foot pain. Any reason why the dislocation of the less mpj's

Dotty W. on 4/18/01 at 06:01 (044923)

The doc said he thought the dislocation was due to the big toe pushing on the second toe. Not so sure. The big toe hasn't come over that far yet. I think the second toe has been dislocated for some time. My doctor didn't take an X-ray the last time I saw him in December when he saw the big toe had started to go back over. i feel like I followed the directions of my doctor. Don't know whether i wore wrong shoes after i was allowed to walk. No real information was given or sources for where to buy right kind of shoes. Just told wear shoes with wide toe box preferably lace up. I scoured the shoe stores for what I thought would be shoes with a wide toe box. Bought two pairs of shoes a wide width for the bad foot. Had plenty of wiggle room. Wearing orthotics most of the time. What went wrong? Wish meds would send us to the sources for the right shoes if thats the problem.